Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolute Beginner Here!

• 01-02-2010 3:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

Hi. Sorry if I've posted in the wrong section (seeing triathlon leads me to believe I may not be in the right place), but it was the only running section I could find.

I want to start running. I'm 39 and I'm very unfit. I'm a little overweight but not a lot. Maybe a stone. I never seem to have any energy. I know my unbalanced diet doesn't help but I'll get onto that another time!
    I tried running a few years ago but I got bored very quickly and stopped. At the moment I can't afford the gym.
    But I wish to try running again. I live near a park in Dublin.
    I'm just looking for advice and help.
    I know I'll have to invest in some running shoes. I am willing to spend on quality ones. Interested in some Asics ones or possibly the Nike Lunar Glide +.

What I would like to know, is how should I begin. Is there a site I can go to that tells me how much I should do at the beginning etc? I want to do it right.
    I am not looking to run any marathons. I would just like to achieve a decent level of fitness and get my energy back.

Any tips for motivation?

I am afraid if I start, I may get bored again. I will definitely run with an ipod as i feel the music will help,and I love music anyway.
    I was interested in the Nike ipod sports kit, as I feel it would make it more interesting for me. I need it to be interesting or else!!!!
    Would you recommend that?

Is there a certain running procedure I should take to help with energy levels specifically?
    Sorry for all the questions.

I'm very keen to get into running again, which is a good start I suppose.

Anyway, if anybody would be good enough to offer some advice on gear, running websites, motivation, nike + or anything they feel would help me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks very much.

Zak.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm 38, just started running last September/October.

If you go to Elvery's in Dundrum or Suffolk Street, or Runways on Parnell Street, they'll put you on a treadmill to analyse your gait, and recommend some shoes for you.

I followed a couch-to-5k programme from the coolrunning site The idea is that you alternate running and walking for the first few weeks, gradually building up your running time. By the end you should be able to run for 25-30 minutes.
    There are some free podcasts by a guy called Robert Ullrey that you can download from iTunes. He takes that running programme and plays music behind it - so it's basically music and a guy speaking over it saying "now run for 2 minutes.... okay, back to a walk for a minute". Very handy, means you don't have to keep track of that stuff yourself.

Finally, put yourself down for a race. There's a road race in town on Paddy's weekend. It might be a little soon for you to run the whole thing, but why not set that as your target?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Zak, you are in the right place, welcome!. Running is like everything else in life, you have to take it one step at a time (right, that's the last of the crappy cliches). If you don't have enough energy before you begin, you should probably look at your habits (eating, sleeping, that kind of thing). not having enough energy will just make everything that little bit more difficult.

The best thing to do, is start with a training program and follow it. This will gradually easy you into the process of running, and will help with motivation, as you have to follow specific tasks on specific days. The second thing you should do, is sign up for a race, a couple of months away. Nothing long distance, something like a 5k or a 5 mile. And I use the word race lightly. The only person you'll be racing against, is yourself. The idea is that it will keep the motivation ticking over and offer you a reward for the training you've done (completing a race is very rewarding).

Finally, don't consider x or y shoes based on price. Price does not equate to suitability (but it often does equte to large marketing budgets). Go visit a reputable running shop, and have the reputable sales people assist you with choosing the right shoe.

a good starters training program would be a couch to 5k program, e.g.:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Or one of Hal Higdon's Beginner 5k program:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/5K Training/5-Knovice.htm

Finally, I use the opportunity of a training session to go and visit different places/parks etc. Running around the same park repeatedly can be quite tiresome. So don't be afraid to get out there, and run in different locations. You can use sites like google maps pedometer: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ or mapmyrun: http://www.mapmyrun.com/ to find or measure a planned route.

Oh, and on the subject of Nike+, there are mixed reviews of Nike+. I used it once, and found it to be good fun, but rather inacurate. But if you already have a suitable iPod, it's a cheap enough investment (30 euro?), so is worth a try. Phew. I think that's everything covered. Now get out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Hey Zak Flaps
    Lots of good advice there
    One other thing though - some people train well on their own, whilst others prefer a group environment
    You could do worse than check out the Fit4Life programme sponsored by Athletics Ireland. They've lots of different groups meeting at different times of the week up and down the country, check out your local group.
    The most important thing is to relax and enjoy your running - otherwise you won't keep it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ivan800

Hi Zack,

Some very good advice there. First stop would be get your runners. Runways is a great shop to get fitted for your first pair. Don't forget to wear them around the house for a few days to break them in. Last thing you need is blisters after your hard work.

I also agree with the group running. I'm a coach and athlete myself. I'm running a few camps around the city which are kicking off this week in fact. I'm tailoring them for beginners as they seem to start with great ambition but then the lack of a friendly group and regular advice means they tend to fade away over time. I'll be giving advice on diet,core exercises for home, sports psychology and anything else I can help with. It's proving popular as gyms are crazy money and boot camps don't achieve long term results. Besides, getting screamed at by the military is something nobody needs!

Pop me a mail and I'll send you on the details if you're interested. ivanfastfido@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The only advice I would give is don't run at max speed when training. Leave the speed for the races. Take it easy in training and build up slowly. When I started runing last year, I went out full blast on every run and nearly killed myself. It is a sure fire way to blow yourself out/get injured and give up.

Learn to slow down in training, even walk if you have to. It sounds strange but after a while you can even learn to enjoy your runs :eek:. i particularly enjoy listening to newstalk's Off the ball on my phone's radio while out jogging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Thanks guys for your great advice.
    DustyBin wrote: »
    Hey Zak Flaps
    The most important thing is to relax and enjoy your running - otherwise you won't keep it up.

That's exactly what I'm worried about Dusty. I quit running before.
    But I never had a plan before. I never fully committed.
    I really want to enjoy it and am looking forward to achieving fitness and feeling good.
    My approach this time will be better.
    I will find a programme and stick to it.
    RayCun wrote: »
    If you go to Elvery's in Dundrum or Suffolk Street, or Runways on Parnell Street, they'll put you on a treadmill to analyse your gait, and recommend some shoes for you.

I followed a couch-to-5k programme from the coolrunning site The idea is that you alternate running and walking for the first few weeks, gradually building up your running time. By the end you should be able to run for 25-30 minutes.
    There are some free podcasts by a guy called Robert Ullrey that you can download from iTunes. He takes that running programme and plays music behind it - so it's basically music and a guy speaking over it saying "now run for 2 minutes.... okay, back to a walk for a minute".

Cheers Raycun. I'm actually going to Elverys in Dundrum later on today to get fitted for a pair. I rang them and they will analyse my gait.
    And that Robert Ullrey/couch to 5k programme is exactly the type of thing i need. That's for the heads up on that.
    The best thing to do, is start with a training program and follow it. This will gradually easy you into the process of running, and will help with motivation, as you have to follow specific tasks on specific days.

Go visit a reputable running shop, and have the reputable sales people assist you with choosing the right shoe.

a good starters training program would be a couch to 5k program, e.g.:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Or one of Hal Higdon's Beginner 5k program:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Knovice.htm

Oh, and on the subject of Nike+, there are mixed reviews of Nike+. I used it once, and found it to be good fun, but rather inacurate. But if you already have a suitable iPod, it's a cheap enough investment (30 euro?), so is worth a try. Phew. I think that's everything covered. Now get out there!

Hi Krusty. I intend to follow a training programme as I am a beginner and the guidance will put me on the right track.
    I'm heading to Elverys later to get fitted for my running shoes. They have a treadmill to check my gait.
    The couch to 5k was recommended by Raycun on this forum and I will be definitely be checking it out. Hal Higdon also,my friend recommended him 30 mins ago.
    I have the ipod,so I may check out the Nike+. Only 30 euros so I'm not breaking the bank.
    Thanks for your help.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    . Take it easy in training and build up slowly. When I started runing last year, I went out full blast on every run and nearly killed myself. It is a sure fire way to blow yourself out/get injured and give up.

Learn to slow down in training, even walk if you have to. It sounds strange but after a while you can even learn to enjoy your runs :eek:. i particularly enjoy listening to newstalk's Off the ball on my phone's radio while out jogging.

Thanks menoscemo. I will be sure to take it easy, especially as I will find it hard at the beginning. The programme I intend to follow will surely take this into consideration.
    I'm also a big fan of Newstalk's Off The Ball.I download the podcast every week. I could listen to Johnny Giles talk about football all day.

Thanks for the tips.

Zak.

Advertisement