Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will facebook last?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Once Facebook starts to cost money to use people will just stop using it imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I have to laugh at the amount of people who actually believe Facebook is thinking of charging.

Those "OMG JOIN THIS GROUP TO PETITION AGAINST BEING CHARGED $218073 TO USE FACEBOOK!!!111" groups have been around since Facebook's inception.

It ain't happening. People just don't learn. If it were the case it would've happened god knows how many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Venom wrote: »
    Once Facebook starts to cost money to use people will just stop using it imho.

lmao, Facebook will NEVER charge for the simple reason that they make so much money from advertising. Facebook had revenue of $300,000,000.00 in 2008 and $700,000,000.00 in 2009! Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly worth 1.5 Billion. I somehow can't see him turning around and saying "Hey were not making enough money we should charge people for using Facebook". If they did start charging a load of copycat versions would be set up the next day and eventually one would win out and become the 'Next' Facebook

I think that if anything's going to be a threat to Facebook it'll be diaspora. I've been following their developments for the past week, and the sheer amount of publicity and public donations they've gotten in that time has been outstanding. I think diaspora will make it--to the extent of being a recognised name, at least--off the back of Facebook's questionable privacy policy, and I think it'll be that privacy policy that'll eventually bring the site down.

Their privacy policy is almost 5,000 words long, that's longer than the US constitution without its amendments. Their FAQ for their privacy policy is almost ten times larger in wordcount than the policy itself. Their privacy policy doesn't sit well with me, and unless it changes in the future, I can see more and more people hemorrhaging from the site in the hope of finding a more trustworthy and open alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

How many people have read the Facebook privacy policy or even bothered about it?

Even so, Mr. Zuckerberg made a very good point - people are putting a ridiculous amount of personal and intimate details about themselves online without even thinking twice about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement