Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New speed Limited City Centre

Options
  • 01-02-2010 10:37am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry, mods if this is in the wrong place - please feel free to move it.

where is the new speed limit in city?

the only place i seen a new speed sign this morning was on Frenchman's Lane and good luck to anyone who can do 30km there.

This is how i drove in this morning

Drumcondra
    Dorset Street
    Gardiner Street
    around by the IFSC
    over the bridge
    John Rogers Quay
    Lime Street
    Erne Street
    Finally Holles Street

not one new speed sign - are this places still at 50 km

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

The only place ive seen a sign is on Temple street. I was the only one observing the limit, felt like a fooking idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

This is a joke. Boy racers, moron drunks and suicide teenagers kill themselves all over the boreens and back roads of rural Ireland in their cars with cheap insurance and no NCT. The answer? Put a ridiculous speed limit in Dublin city center. Has anyone tried driving at 30kph?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

Does the Luas have to slow down to 30k too?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i appreciate it is a stupid rule but does anyone where the 30km limit is ? apparently, the gardai are out doing speed checks and i really dont need the points or the fine.

thanks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

New speed limits recently approved by Dublin City Council will come into operation on 31st January 2010. The main feature of the new speed limits is the expansion of the city centre 30 kph special speed limit zone.
    A speed limit of 30 kph will apply to all roads within a City Centre area extending from Bolton Street on the northside to Kevin Street Lower / St.
    Stephens Green on the southside and extending from Church Street / Bridge Street on the west to Gardiner Street/ Tara Street / Dawson Street on the east. The zone includes National Roads such as O’ Connell Street, Dame Street, and the North and South Quays between Church Street and Tara Street. A map of the 30 kph special speed limit zone is available to view on the Dublin City Council website: www.dublincity.ie

i found it

MODS YOU CAN CLOSE THIS NOW

THANKS

• Advertisement

irishbird wrote: »
    i found it

THANKS

This could be a good topic to chat about.

irishbird wrote: »

Can we leave it open so I can plss and moan?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Could anyone post a pic of a any new speed limit sign that has been erected. Apart from the LED ones that (AFAIK) are not legally enforceable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tried driving at 30kms in my car, its a nightmare!.

My car is an automatic and the box couldn't decide if it needed 2nd or 3rd gear. Putting it into manual its screaming at me in 2nd and since its a DSG gearbox it won't stay it in a higher gear is the lower one is more suitable - a horrible driving experience tbh.

In the places where people were trying to observe the limits I noticed more pedestrians than usual taking the chance to J-walk between the slower moving car's, which left me wondering if this will actually lead to an increase in pedestrian accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

MadsL wrote: »
    Could anyone post a pic of a any new speed limit sign that has been erected. Apart from the LED ones that (AFAIK) are not legally enforceable.

WISHBOOONEEE!! ;)

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    WISHBOOONEEE!! ;)

Im not him, but I can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

This was no doubt introduced by the same eejit that introduced the bus gate without any proper alternative route for those living in the city to move from one side to the other.

Also probably the same eejit was responsible for the ridiculous 2005 campaign for motorists to use their lights in the day time - fine idea but the eejits in DCC introduced it in MARCH! immediately after the hour went forward and spent over €200,000 advertising the campaign! - Maybe he was Australian and thought the days got darker in the summer.

DCC road traffic dept must hold their heads in shame.

They say if one life is saved then it'll all be worth it. I wonder how many crashes there will be when people start speeding up when they get out of the city to make up for crawling time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

lightening wrote: »
    This is a joke. Boy racers, moron drunks and suicide teenagers kill themselves all over the boreens and back roads of rural Ireland in their cars with cheap insurance and no NCT. The answer? Put a ridiculous speed limit in Dublin city center. Has anyone tried driving at 30kph?

cheap insurance??
    where cause no boy racer i know pays under say 1500 euro!

bfocusd wrote: »
    where

FBD farm insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

so you gotta drive a tractor!
    do they make sports tractors..? ha

i dont disagree the limit is a joke,

but insurance is not cheap for fellas..
    unless you drive like a fiat uno / daewoo matiz or something!!
    my brother is 19 and got a quote of almost 5k for a civic..
    he decided on a bus pass instead! :D

bfocusd wrote: »
    do they make sports tractors..? ha

According to a Scooby Impreza driver I met in Galway, they cover all vehicles in the business. Family members cars included. Can we get back on topic?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Frankly it's a gig bag of bone-headed arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Titaniumkid

Are these guys for real? I gotta say i am all for anything that saves lives..even one, but this isn't it..

it sounds more like it was already a factor so why not make it a law and look like the good guy or better still.. make some money from it. There are certain streets in Dublin you cannot do more than 30 anyway, i bet the streets you can.. thats where the camera's will be..

This is silly, another method of getting money from people. It's like the income levy..whats it for? At the end of the day its just TAX so why not call it that?

Once people kick up and its stopped (or they don't make any money from it)they will start charging to enter the city like in London.

They are trying to establish another tax revenue (all very cynical aren't i..)I bet if the penalties were 2 hrs community service or cleaning hospitals instead of a fine this wouldn't be pushed as much..!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I mentioned this on the motoring forum, it has absolutely nothing got to do with safety but will be soon be a money spinner for the state. With the introduction of UK style "average speed cameras" even the most conscientious of motorists will be criminalised with penalty points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can see the streets with the new limit here: http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/RoadSafety/Pages/SpeedLimits.aspx
    lightening wrote: »
    This is a joke. Boy racers, moron drunks and suicide teenagers kill themselves all over the boreens and back roads of rural Ireland
    This is not something that Dublin City Council can control.
    Does the Luas have to slow down to 30k too?
    Luas isn't covered by the Road Traffic Act. It does have to follow the Railway Safety Act though.

I'm not certain, but I think the Luas speed limit in the area is 25km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Yes the Luas is now restricted to 30kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

rednik wrote: »
    Yes the Luas is now restricted to 30kph.

Did it go any faster than this anyway in the areas affected? I dont think so

WindSock wrote: »
    Separated at birth?

_44155919_roland_bbc203b.jpg

NSFW

pic.php?oid=AAAAAQAQuOIk-gmQQcyK773WBMNT0gAAAArl0ZPgHhkOFzU6UUxM0zQo

Roland naked!.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

In fairness I do think there is some logic behind reducing the speed limit on parts of the quays. The temple bar area of the south quays is pretty dangerous for cyclists. The road is narrow, the footpaths are for the most part narrow, there's a pretty sizeable bus terminus with buses constantly pulling in and out, there's a taxi rank, there's lots of little side streets with vehicles turning onto and off the quays and, on top of this, I'd imagine given its location there's a fair amount of inebriated people emerging onto it any weekend night.

The Eden quay area on the north quays between O'Connell Bridge and Liberty Hall is also hugely busy with buses pulling in and out everywhere and the contraflow bus lane further complicating matters. Cars and cyclists also have a tendency to run the lights at O'Connell Bridge on amber/red and go through the junction very fast.

I think the 30km/hr speed limit is perfectly justified in these areas. Its possibly unnecessary between Capel St and Church St. Maybe this would be better as a 40km/hr lead in/lead out zone but that would possibly overcomplicate things.

From an ex cycle couriers point of view and a car drivers point of view I think the speed limit is stupid.

I know that speed isn't the main danger. It's narrow roads, trucks, buses, people not indicating, people not using their mirrors, the cyclists (me included) taking massive risks, people not checking before opening doors, people nudging their way out in traffic (this is part of city driving, cyclists need to look out for it), people not parking properly, people getting lost and not paying attention, pedestrians stepping out without seeing you, shores and potholes.

Four O clock in the morning doing 30kph on the quays? Roads designed and engineered to get large volumes of traffic through and out of the city at safe speeds?

Andrew Montague
    obviously did no research on the ground. He didn't stop the road users and see what they thought. It's a low blow from Labour and I wouldn't dream of voting for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Did it go any faster than this anyway in the areas affected? I dont think so

A good bit of the journey from Heuston to Connolly was 35kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just throwing this out - but would it not make more sense to enforce traffic rules on cyclists? That should reduce accidents. If cyclists were stopped from running red lights, it would do a lot of good, all around.

If this is all about safety, then surely that would be a better place to start?

Advertisement