Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New speed Limited City Centre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Paulw wrote: »
    but would it not make more sense to enforce traffic rules on cyclists?

It just won't happen, no ID, no license plate, tax, insurance, no bike unique recognition number that will correlate with Gardai or government database. Easier to hammer the car driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It works in the UK. On the spot fines.

It works in the UK. On the spot fines.

I know. This isn't the UK though, different police force, different mindset, different attitude, different race.

Same race actually. :cool:

It's just a matter of the Gardai enforcing the law, and the politicians making sure they have the proper powers to do it.

It would do a hell of a lot more for safety than a 30kph zone in the city.

It would do a hell of a lot more for safety than a 30kph zone in the city.

I know, I agree, but having been on the ground, worked as a cycle courier, doing all the things I shouldn't have done, taking all the risks and being seen by the Gardai... the lack of interest, the "turn a blind eye" attitude and the general procrastination is unbelievable. From my experience it takes a member of public to really go nuts and demand something be done before a Gard will do something about a crazy cyclist.

When I think about it now, breaking lights, bunny hopping on to the footpath at speed, flaking down one way streets, the insane short cuts.... I wouldn't dream of doing it now. Young dumb and full of come.

• Advertisement

I drive through the city one day a week. For the rest of the week, I use public transport.

I've also cycled in the past, but I got fed up at stopping at lights only to see others buzz by without even looking properly. I decided it was safer for me not to cycle.

A realistic approach must be taken to safety. It can't just be to slow down the cars. It need to look at all sides - cars, bikes, pedestrians, etc. I'm all in favour of more safety, but it has to be done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah everyone should just keep complaining on message boards. let your fingers do the talking guys.

could this thread be anymore irish?

Are you quiet young and did you move abroad recently? Have you "seen the world" now and are you doing what loads of Irish people do when they move abroad, sneer at everything Irish and say things like "how Irish is that"?

Did you just log and to complain about people complaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Do you not think tho that there has been a lot of hysteria about a change that effects a relatively small area and, if at all, will add a negilible amount of time onto motorists journey and will probably make the city centre more pleasant to be in? Isn't it at least worth a trial?

And I still feel it is perfectly justified in some areas of the quays (Eden quay and south quays around Temple Bar).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

http://www.dublincity.ie/Documents/Map.pdf

Intersting to see that Fairview/Marino also has a 30KPH limit according to the map

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Detailed MAP

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

http://www.dublincity.ie/Documents/Map.pdf

Intersting to see that Fairview/Marino also has a 30KPH limit according to the map

Yea that is interesting. Never knew that. I see there's a few little patches down around Ringsend to. That area of Marino is very residential anyway. Its probably to stop kids getting squished by people rat-running which is fair enough. It doesnt seem to apply to any of the main roads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Would everyone stop going on about cyclists breaking lights? In the interests of fair science, I gathered data about this today. Cycling along in a cohort of 12 - 15 bikes at each traffic light on a 3 mile (15m) journey in Dublin city centre, I saw ONE bike break the lights. FFS. And no, we're not the same 12-15 at each light as everyone is following their own route as I was following mine.

Why is everyone in a car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

lightening wrote: »
    Are you quiet young and did you move abroad recently? Have you "seen the world" now and are you doing what loads of Irish people do when they move abroad, sneer at everything Irish and say things like "how Irish is that"?

Did you just log and to complain about people complaining?

no, and no.

Advertisement