Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City Marathon 7.6.10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

only advice i would give you is not to do it. you will enjoy it more if you train properly for your first marathon and can give it your best....it is very doubtfull you could do either in time for cork( and may get injured)....26.2 miles needs a lot of respect. Why not give dublin a go?
    14 weeks isn't enough time? When should I have started.
    I only want to complete it, not do a record time.
    Dublin is a bit too far me.

Sorry if that seemed a tad insensitive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If your thinking of 5k+ as being a long run then your probably still quite a way off being able to have a decent atempt at the marathon by June. Dublin would be more acheivable with the extra time, but why not rope in a few friends and do a leg of the relay in Cork each and then you can do a better attempt at the full next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

robinph wrote: »
    If your thinking of 5k+ as being a long run then your probably still quite a way off being able to have a decent atempt at the marathon by June. Dublin would be more acheivable with the extra time, but why not rope in a few friends and do a leg of the relay in Cork each and then you can do a better attempt at the full next year.

I don't think 5k is a long distance, its just that where I live there is hardly any flats, just all up and down. What I meant to say was area's of longer distance on the flat or there abouts.

Was actually thinking about the relay at first, mabey i should go back to my original idea? (4 man)
    Will have to think about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The Hal Higdon marathon training plans are well respected. His novice plan is an 18 week programme. And the first week of that - the base level of running fitness assumed by the plan - is 15 miles of running, 3 consecutive 3 mile runs and 6 miles on the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

I only want to complete it, not do a record time.
    Dublin is a bit too far me.

Sorry if that seemed a tad insensitive.

well you have only 11 weeks left to the race, you should taper for at least two weeks, that leaves you with 9 weeks to get your long run from 5K to 20 miles.
    its up to yourself, not saying its impossible or anything but in my opinion i would prefer to be on the start line knowing whats ahead of me and being confident and looking forward to the race. you might be very fit on a rugby pitch but long distance running is a different type of fitness and your body will take time to adapt to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

4 stars (good)
    Also where I live is very hilly, up and down alot.
    So where would be the best place to do some of the longer distance training 5k+
    Living near Douglas .

Hartys Quay opposite the Rochestown Inn is a great place to run, lots of people out running, walking cycling, roller blading. You can park the car there, and there are 2 nice runs on pedestrian paths.

1. From Hartys Quay car park to passage and back is 5.2 miles, flat as a pancake

2. From Hartys Quay car park, back along the old rail line, turning right along the waterfront, up to blackrock castle, down onto Marina, back along old mahon rail line to hartys quay again - 5.9 miles - And part of this route is the Cork marathon route!

See attached link to mapmyrun, there are much more variations on these routes in mapmyrun, extending the run into centre park road.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/cork/564425405

Combine the 2 runs for a longer run and as the runs get longer, run from Douglas to Hartys Quay rather than driving to the carpark.

Build up the long runs slowly, run them slow and easy and make sure you have a proper pair of runenrs (go to John Buckley Sports accross river from opera house) and you can make a decision about actually entering the marathon in a few weeks time if training is going well.....closing date for entries is May 10th. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I don't think 5k is a long distance, its just that where I live there is hardly any flats, just all up and down. What I meant to say was area's of longer distance on the flat or there abouts.

Was actually thinking about the relay at first, mabey i should go back to my original idea? (4 man)
    Will have to think about
    Ups and downs are good. Don't avoid them, conquer them!
    Relay sounds like a cracking idea. You'll get a good feel for what's required, and massively reduce the risk of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pablo t

i second what crusty said.. a lot of people tend to avoid anywhere hilly but the hills will make you strong and a flat course will feel a lot easier when racing. some people tend to run hill repeats 1 day a week and then avoid them like the plague for every other run. but running up and down big hills is infinately better than say squats etc in the gym for building strength specific to the sport. (this is just my opinion by the way but i reckon im right:D)

just to deviate from the point a small bit, i think a lot of people that were complaining about the straight road, and the few small hills in the old marathon course should remember that its a marathon and not actually meant to be a piece of piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

pablo t wrote: »
    i second what crusty said.. a lot of people tend to avoid anywhere hilly but the hills will make you strong and a flat course will feel a lot easier when racing. some people tend to run hill repeats 1 day a week and then avoid them like the plague for every other run. but running up and down big hills is infinately better than say squats etc in the gym for building strength specific to the sport. (this is just my opinion by the way but i reckon im right:D)

just to deviate from the point a small bit, i think a lot of people that were complaining about the straight road, and the few small hills in the old marathon course should remember that its a marathon and not actually meant to be a piece of piss

+1...never avoid the hills.
    I go looking for them...as many as i can get enroute.
    I have now started doing my pmp runs up them,great fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

3 stars (average)
    Just registered for this. Im doing 3 legs of the relay. Cant wait. Booked my hotel aswell. No going back now eh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Foe all those who are dragging their feet, registration costs increase after 31st March. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Anyone hear anything more about the pacers for this?
    Will they happen, and what target times?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

3 stars (average)
    This will be my first marathon cannot wait. Currently up to 12 mile and increasing to 14 mile this week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    Foe all those who are dragging their feet, registration costs increase after 31st March. ;)

Better enter so. The direct flight to Cork from Jersey is on the Saturday so there's a great danger* that I'll get waylaid by various bars between then and race time.

*Make that a certainty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

2 stars (poor)
    Debating on whether to sign up for this.... Cork 2009 was my first marathon and was an unbelievable experience, finished in 3 hrs 14 mins and was well chuffed with myself.

Since then we've had our first baby and both my wife and myself have been studying and so I haven't had much time to be out on the road. I have been keeping fit though doing spinning classes, weights and 8 mile runs (on average).

I think I have the drive to put 2 solid months of training in (I know I have to taper in that time too) At the moment I could do 12 miles comfortably, I know I could up that to 16 or 17 miles right now if I wanted to.

Would it be too late to start doing my long runs (20 miles) with 8 weeks to go?

I don't want to miss out on the buzz of finishing (I'd be aiming for a comfortable finish) though I don't want to injure myself either!

4 stars (good)
    Debating on whether to sign up for this.... Cork 2009 was my first marathon and was an unbelievable experience, finished in 3 hrs 14 mins and was well chuffed with myself.

Since then we've had our first baby and both my wife and myself have been studying and so I haven't had much time to be out on the road. I have been keeping fit though doing spinning classes, weights and 8 mile runs (on average).

I think I have the drive to put 2 solid months of training in (I know I have to taper in that time too) At the moment I could do 12 miles comfortably, I know I could up that to 16 or 17 miles right now if I wanted to.

Would it be too late to start doing my long runs (20 miles) with 8 weeks to go?

I don't want to miss out on the buzz of finishing (I'd be aiming for a comfortable finish) though I don't want to injure myself either!

I'd say you could probably jump into a marathon training programme now (1) if you have the resolve and (2) unless you have a history of injury issues. The 20-milers can probably wait until the end of April giving you a chance to build up.

2 stars (poor)
    (1) if you have the resolve - I sure do!! I plan on staying off the drink completely until after the marathon, the excitement of a comfortable finish gives me all the drive I need.

(2) unless you have a history of injury issues. Not a whole lot, though I do get some cramping and swelling in my right calf...will watch it though.

I'm carrying no weight at all and I feel great lately, so as long as the legs hold up I should be Ok...

3 stars (average)

I'm carrying no weight at all and I feel great lately, so as long as the legs hold up I should be Ok...

Welcome aboard trotter.
    Will keep an eye out for you running the streets of Macroom and environs ;).

2 stars (poor)
    Welcome aboard trotter.
    Will keep an eye out for you running the streets of Macroom and environs ;).

Cheers Eliwallach, I keep my shorter runs for Macroom as there's not too many safe running routes out there that I know of. If you know of any though I'd appreciate a PM. I checked mapmyrun and there are 2 or 3 runs listed.

• Advertisement

I heard some weather predictor fella on 2fm earlier.
    He said that the last week in May and first 10 days of June will be hotter than usual...
    Lovely....thats all we need !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭nutzzz123

3 stars (average)
    Sosa wrote: »
    He said that the last week in May and first 10 days of June will be hotter than usual...
    Lovely....thats all we need !

excellent! now instead of nearly collapsing of heat exhaustion at mile 13 last year, i will feel it earlier in the race this year :eek:

2 stars (poor)

Same as last year so :D At least we know what to expect, off to Spain now for 2 months heat training :D

4 stars (good)
    I don't believe it. Surely not four in a row? (OK 2007 wasn't so bad.) I entered this year on the reasonable assumption that we'd have at least average weather :( I think it's only in Cork that global warming's happening.

Oh well, here's hoping that Jersey will provide the acclimatisation - I can't afford two months in Spain like trotter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

off to Spain now for 2 months heat training :D

No need, just stay in Cork for a week before the mara - it'll probably be warmer than Spain! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

3 stars (average)
    colblimp wrote: »
    No need, just stay in Cork for a week before the mara - it'll probably be warmer than Spain! :cool:

Stop panicking, you lot!!!!
    Since when do you rely on the weather forecast 2 months in advance?

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    Stop panicking, you lot!!!!

:D I'm going to start wearing woolly jumpers during my runs so I'm prepared for the heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

cork marathon and the mini marathon are always on the same weekend , just as it happens the mini marathon days for the last two year are the only roasters i remember for those two summers ! dont rule it out ;)

2 stars (poor)
    Seres wrote: »
    cork marathon and the mini marathon are always on the same weekend , just as it happens the mini marathon days for the last two year are the only roasters i remember for those two summers ! dont rule it out ;)

One advantage is that it brings out more supporters...

4 stars (good)
    One advantage is that it brings out more supporters...

True enough. I thought it was great last year, the way some people set up camp outside their houses, tables & chairs etc, to make a day of it.

2 stars (poor)
    RoyMcC wrote: »
    True enough. I thought it was great last year, the way some people set up camp outside their houses, tables & chairs etc, to make a day of it.

My favourite was the young guy on the Model Farm Rd with the hose spraying everyone as they passed :D Though, looking at the new route I think his house may be cut off :(

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    My favourite was the young guy on the Model Farm Rd with the hose spraying everyone as they passed :D Though, looking at the new route I think his house may be cut off :(

I'll never forget that one. I could have hugged and kissed him but was too knackered to disrupt my rhythm ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

2 stars (poor)
    Only just spotted this thread now. I'm taking part too. I had a go last year but didn't train properly and was knackered by 15 miles and couldn't finish. Following the hal higdon plan again this year.

If anyone is looking for someone to partner with for long training runs give me a shout.

2 stars (poor)
    Weather lovely this week so am making the most of it, got 17 miles in yesterday, will help if 07/06/10 is a hot one....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cerlan

3 stars (average)
    I'm in the same boat as you BrianjG. Had to drop out at the Lough last year. Think i did too many long runs in the end... What distance is everyone up to with their long runs at the mo?

I'm slightly worried. Got a posterior tibialis injury and had to take a couple of weeks off so missed two long runs. Only got back into normal training last week. Tried a 16 mile run yesterday to take advantage of the heat as well. Could only manage 13. Hope I can up it in the next few weeks...

2 stars (poor)
    Cerlan wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you BrianjG. Had to drop out at the Lough last year. Think i did too many long runs in the end... What distance is everyone up to with their long runs at the mo?

I only decided I'd give Cork a go 2 weeks ago, for my long runs I've done 1 x 17 miles (yesterday) and 1 x 18 miles (last Friday). Don't let that put you off though, I'm doing longer runs as I'm not able to get out as much as I'd like. I'm only getting 3-4 runs in per week due to other commitments.

There's still just under 8 weeks to go so there's plenty of time to build up your endurance Cerlan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

2 stars (poor)
    I've only managed to do one long run so far, a 13 3 weeks ago before I hurt a muscle in my back from an old injury . only got back running since yesterday (a 5m).

doing another 5 tonight and going to try a 13 again on Sunday.

3 stars (average)
    Cheers trotter_inc. Suppose there is plenty of time alright. Good to hear I'm not the only one on 13 miles BrianjG. Good luck with the run. Will see what I can do this weekend...

3 stars (average)
    Cerlan wrote: »
    Suppose there is plenty of time alright.

If you believe that and take it as an excuse not to train properly RIGHT NOW, you won't be running the marathon.

It's less than 8 weeks away. That's half the time it takes to properly get marathon ready.

2 stars (poor)
    If you believe that and take it as an excuse not to train properly RIGHT NOW, you won't be running the marathon.

It's less than 8 weeks away. That's half the time it takes to properly get marathon ready.

If you read Cerlan's post earlier you'll see that he's not taking a lazy attitude towards training, the guy was injured and not able to run :p

I was giving the guy a confidence boost by the way, no-one is saying 8 weeks is enough to train properly for a marathon but saying that you need 16 weeks to train for a marathon is very generalistic, the guy could be super-fit :p

3 stars (average)
    Well, I wasn't trying to be negative either :p, sorry if it came across this way.

But he's not super-fit if he tried to run 16 miles and only managed 13.

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    Well, I wasn't trying to be negative either :p, sorry if it came across this way.

But he's not super-fit if he tried to run 16 miles and only managed 13.

I forgive you ;) Only messin...

I know what you mean alright TFBubendorfer, wasn't trying to be smart either, just giving the guy some encouragement :cool:

3 stars (average)
    TFBubendorferQuote:
    Originally Posted by Cerlan viewpost.gif
    Suppose there is plenty of time alright.

I wasn't taking it as an excuse not to train properly TFBubendorfer. If anything it was overtraining that led to my injury... It was just a turn of phrase. Just back from 10 miles which felt much better than the 13 on Monday.

Cheers for the encouragement trotter_inc. I'm not superfit by the way ;). TFBubendorfer is right on that score, though I'm not sure I agree that you need to be able to run 16 miles in order to be regarded as superfit...:D

2 stars (poor)
    I hope the t-shirts they give this year are better quality than the ones they gave last year! The printing on last years one practically fell off after the first wash :( The relay t-shirts were much better quality though.

3 stars (average)
    I hope the t-shirts they give this year are better quality than the ones they gave last year! The printing on last years one practically fell off after the first wash :( The relay t-shirts were much better quality though.

If the relay t-shirts were "much better quality", I dread to think what the t-shirts for the full were like :eek:.

The relay t-shirts were like Kleenex.

2 stars (poor)
    If the relay t-shirts were "much better quality", I dread to think what the t-shirts for the full were like :eek:.

The relay t-shirts were like Kleenex.

I had both the full race t-shirt and the relay t-shirt (my neighbour gave it to me) and the relay one was good compared to the full one. It was like a rag and the printing was rubbish, all the white print came out stuck to the back of the t-shirt, couldn't wear it again, went straight in to the bin :)

I had both the full race t-shirt and the relay t-shirt (my neighbour gave it to me) and the relay one was good compared to the full one. It was like a rag and the printing was rubbish, all the white print came out stuck to the back of the t-shirt, couldn't wear it again, went straight in to the bin :)

Condo131 might answer this later if he logs on...
    It would be nice to get a decent t-shirt for our efforts.

2 stars (poor)
    Condo131 might answer this later if he logs on...
    It would be nice to get a decent t-shirt for our efforts.

True...will give them credit for their medals though, I thought they were really nice! Was my first marathon so don't have much to compare it to but I was impressed by them. Hopefully, I'll have another on June 7th :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Sorry Sosa,
    I know 'notting' about the t-shirts. I only measure the damn thing (the course, not the t-shirt :D ) I'll mention the murmurs about the t-shirts when I'm talking to city Hall again.

Only ever got a relay one in Cork. I've had no problems with last year's one, but then I haven't worn it much.

Course: We have a minor alteration on the New Mallow Road (~ 2.75 miles). BGE, the sponsors, want to start & finish at the one point, so we've had to find 72.79m. We're probably going to do this at the junction of Watercourse Road/New Mallow Road by installing barriers and bring the course around in an S, instead of going straight through.

Turn by Turn photographs of the route:
    I've a good deal of this done, but the formatting of the webpage, due to all the photographs, is a pain in the *#@! I'm probably going to do the item on a relay leg basis, rather than as a single unit, i.e. 5 separate web pages, with links. Hopefully I'll have some of that loaded early next week - however I have a lot on my plate at the mo'.......and the Cheetahs are growling! :)

Thanks Condo,
    While you talking to them,you might find out for us what sports drinks they will have for us enroute .... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

4 stars (good)
    Entered online this morning....twas getting a bit close to the closing date (only 2 weeks away) so decided to enter now incase the volcanic ash starts to affect the internet aswell.

Advertisement