Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City Marathon 7.6.10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

2 stars (poor)
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    ....twas getting a bit close to the closing date (only 2 weeks away)

2 weeks to the closing date? :eek:

Better enter myself... time is going way too fast...

Just noticed that the entry fee goes from €70 to €80 after April 30th. I don't understand why they have different charges depending on when you enter, their costs should be exactly the same regardless of when people sign up. It's not fair on people who may be carrying an injury and who are waiting to see if they'll be fit enough or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

4 stars (good)
    I don't understand why they have different charges depending on when you enter, their costs should be exactly the same regardless of when people sign up.

Organisers tend to do this to get names in as far in advance as possible. From an organiser's viewpoint it makes for a much easier life than trying to deal with a last minute rush. I don't believe that there can be a monetary advantage.

Certainly I remember organising races (admittedly on a smaller scale) and committing large expense in advance of getting your numbers in is a bit scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Just noticed that the entry fee goes from €70 to €80 after April 30th. I don't understand why they have different charges depending on when you enter,

Just look at it this way, the cost for registration is set at €80, but you get a little discount for early entry.
    Not a penalty for late registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

4 stars (good)
    how is all ye're training going? anyone else here doing Cork as their first marathon??

hit a peak mileage week (52miles) last week and was tough going, looking forward to the taper at this stage!

3 stars (average)
    Training hit 50 miles last week with a 20 mile run in the mix.
    Never have any real problems with the training, I save all of that for marathon day itself :o:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    Never have any real problems with the training, I save all of that for marathon day itself :o:rolleyes:.

thanks, your instilling me full of confidence :eek:

2 stars (poor)
    Hit 52 miles last week with an 18 miler in it, doing 20 miles after work today, lovely day for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

3 stars (average)
    Had a nice 39.3 mile training run 10 days ago :p

2 stars (poor)
    Had a nice 39.3 mile training run 10 days ago :p

No-one likes a show-off....now get back to your ultramarathon forum :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

3 stars (average)
    now get back to your ultramarathon forum :p

That's become very quiet all of a sudden.
    And since Cork is my next target race, I'm staying put. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

1 star (terrible)
    Entered online last night, a PB (sub 3'22) would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

3 stars (average)
    Anyone else get their number yet? Got mind a few weeks ago. No messing around:-)

4 stars (good)
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Anyone else get their number yet? Got mind a few weeks ago. No messing around:-)

Yup, got mine. Just got to remember to bring the letter to registration - can't really go home for it :eek: Looking forward to the Expo, though it mainly consists of the local shops putting all their stuff in a van and putting it out somewhere else for the day :) Last year I got a free Cork Athletics wooly hat, which came in very useful for the race :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Oisin11178 wrote: »

Yeah,i got mine a few weeks ago aswell.
    I'm no.439

I wonder what total entries they have at this stage....

Looking forward to it....

2 stars (poor)
    RoyMcC wrote: »
    Looking forward to the Expo, though it mainly consists of the local shops putting all their stuff in a van and putting it out somewhere else for the day :)

I thought the expo was pretty poor last year actually. Range of clothing was very limited compared to what is on offer in their shops. Some of the people selling nutrition products didn't know what they were for.

As an aside, I popped in to Mahers new Running Loft on Oliver Plunkett St. last weekend, they've a great selection of running clothing and accessories there now. They're also doing free foot/running analysis there every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

3 stars (average)
    Anyone know what the story with pacers for Cork is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

3 stars (average)
    happy_73 wrote: »
    I believe the planning is well advanced but progress is being hampered by having someome stranded under the ash cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vinceyahern

During a 10 mile run 3 days ago I had a pain in my dull foot. And after I finished it got gradually worse. The pain is on the outside of the sole of my right foot, just in front of my heal and directly up from my baby toe.

Does anybody have any idea what it could be and any solutions. I'm in dire straits as my fittness is now good but the injuries are a big problem

Oh! And when I wake in the morning there is no pain, but after being on my feet for 10 mins it gets very painful again.:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

3 stars (average)
    Could be something to do with your gait pattern when you're running. Another slight injury on the leg could be forcing you to land on that part of your foot causing an injury.

See a physio if you're concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

3 stars (average)
    I'd also love to hear news on pacers/sports drink.
    We don't want a repeat of last years mix up with sports drink. Any chance that the sports drink will be warm again this year :-) not pleasant to drink...

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    During a 10 mile run 3 days ago I had a pain in my dull foot. And after I finished it got gradually worse. The pain is on the outside of the sole of my right foot, just in front of my heal and directly up from my baby toe.

I had something similar last year, it turned out to be bruising from constant impact on footpaths...well that was according to my physio. Have you tried icing it?

Is the painful only when you put pressure on it?

2 stars (poor)
    happy_73 wrote: »

I hope they go ahead with it, I think it would be a great idea!

2 stars (poor)
    Any chance that the sports drink will be warm again this year :-) not pleasant to drink...

It was such a waste having 500 ml bottles, most of the people around me (including myself) were taking small slips and throwing away near full bottles. I can't see how anyone could stomach 500 mls of warm lucozade sport while running :)

Maybe this year they'll have mobile fridges for us to keep them cool :D

4 stars (good)
    You might be glad of it if it's a freezing day for a change, that and the space blankets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

3 stars (average)
    Right, finally registered yesterday. First marathon. Very excited and very nervous. Accomodation sorted too. Would like to know if pacers are gonna be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

4 stars (good)
    pacers are going to be there for
    3:15
    3:30
    3:45
    4:00
    4:30
    and
    5:00

2 experienced pacers per time slot. They will be in pacer kit with balloons to help you identify them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

3 stars (average)
    Thats great, thanks hunnymonster. One less thing to worry about :)

2 stars (poor)
    pacers are going to be there

FANTASTIC news!! Thanks for letting us know.

One question though...where is my 2:30 pacer? :rolleyes:

4 stars (good)
    Excellent, thanks HM. I've never run with a paced group but, as it's my third attempt at finishing in Cork, I might just tag on to the 4.30 crowd :)

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    RoyMcC wrote: »
    I've never run with a paced group

Me neither, I think it will be interesting to see how many people tag along. I think it will be great for motivation, especially towards the final stages of the marathon, hopefully the pacers won't be crossing the line on their own :)

3 stars (average)
    Me neither, I think it will be interesting to see how many people tag along. I think it will be great for motivation, especially towards the final stages of the marathon, hopefully the pacers won't be crossing the line on their own :)

Its great news alright, I kept the DCM09 pacers balloon within sight for 1st half and passed them. As I slowed down towards the end I expected to see balloons again but found out afterwards the pacers lost baloons. Lucky I made my target by 1/2 minute.

IN DCM with the crowd not being able to see the balloon was a problem for me as towards the end of a marathon you are in a daze, spotting pacers without balloons could be a problem.

Will there be instructions for pacers to hold onto ballons to the best of their ability from start to finish?

4 stars (good)
    What I've asked for (and to be honest the Cork organisers have been very accommodating) is that we have big balloons a la Dublin at the start which can be released after a mile or so. We're also giving the pacers smaller balloons (usual kids party size) or flags and they will keep these throughout the race (like Berlin). This should make pacers very easy to spot in the big crowd at the start but also easy to keep in view as the race proceeds. Does this sound like a good idea?

For anyone who wasn't at the Dublin 09 the balloons were about 1.5 meters accross and quite tough to run with (took a month for my chaffing to go away!)

All this is provisional as we're still working out all the details but I can confirm that the pacers will be there, with special thanks to the boardsie ART'ers who have agreed to pace.

4 stars (good)
    One question though...where is my 2:30 pacer? :rolleyes:
    Decision was made not to have any pace groups that could potentially beat the first woman home. Given Cork was won in 3:01 (iirc???) in 2007 we decided to start with 3:!5. Times have come down so I guess in a couple of years we can look at faster groups but let's walk before we run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Decision was made not to have any pace groups that could potentially beat the first woman home. Given Cork was won in 3:01 (iirc???) in 2007 we decided to start with 3:!5. Times have come down so I guess in a couple of years we can look at faster groups but let's walk before we run.

I am actually happy that there are no 3:00 pacers....suits me better,if they were there,i would be pre-occupied with where they are and am i going to slow/fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

................Given Cork was won in 3:01 (iirc???) in 2007 ..............

FYI
    2007 Tracy GUILFOYLE, Kilnaboy AC, F40, 03:01:53, 37th
    2008 Lucy BRENNAN, Sligo AC, F45, 02:54:47, 19th
    2009 Lucy Brennan, Sligo AC, F50, 02:51:25, 13th

Source: CARD (Cork Area Raceresults Database) 131,659 individual results! [- server is very slow tonight :mad:]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

More to the point - where are the younger women? No winners under 40 :eek:

2 stars (poor)

Of course, of course! I was only jokin :) I think it would be a little bit of an insult to have a group of pacers passing the lady winner. I'm no way near a 2:30 finish anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

More to the point - where are the younger women? No winners under 40 :eek:

They don't make 'em like they used to!!! :D:D:D:p

4 stars (good)
    Just a heads-up for anyone intending to run but hasn't yet entered - the last day for entries is next Monday 10th May.

3 stars (average)
    We're also giving the pacers smaller balloons (usual kids party size) or flags and they will keep these throughout the race (like Berlin). This should make pacers very easy to spot in the big crowd at the start but also easy to keep in view as the race proceeds. Does this sound like a good idea?

I'd be very happy with that alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

All this is provisional as we're still working out all the details but I can confirm that the pacers will be there, with special thanks to the boardsie ART'ers who have agreed to pace.

Is it too early to name names?
    Just wondering who the ART'ers are that are pacing, and what times they're each running
    Doesn't really make any difference I suppose just being nosey

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

What I've asked for (and to be honest the Cork organisers have been very accommodating) is that we have big balloons a la Dublin at the start which can be released after a mile or so. We're also giving the pacers smaller balloons (usual kids party size) or flags and they will keep these throughout the race (like Berlin). This should make pacers very easy to spot in the big crowd at the start but also easy to keep in view as the race proceeds. Does this sound like a good idea?

Both good ideas Hunnymonster. Cork is busy at the start and it would be easy to get stuck towards the back of the start area but that gives runners the opportunity to catch up with their pacer. I remember the balloons in Dublin. They were brilliant but would that mean that the Irish Aviation Authority would have to impose a no fly zone over Cork city!! As an alternative they could be handed to someone and tied to a railing for later deflation or just decommissioned with the help of a scissors!

4 stars (good)
    DustyBin wrote: »
    Is it too early to name names?
    Just wondering who the ART'ers are that are pacing, and what times they're each running
    Doesn't really make any difference I suppose just being nosey

The list as I have it so far (and I'm sure there will be changes) is
    time|name
    3:15|Cork Running
    3:15|Mick Rick or HM/amadeus combo (will take another offer)
    3:30|G McG (non boardsie)
    3:30|Le Cheile
    3:45|TBC
    3:45|TBC
    4:00|D L (non boardsie)
    4:00|D S (non boardsie)
    4:15|oisin11178
    4:15|running coach
    4:30|baza1976
    4:30|wallyruns
    5:00|ultraman
    5:00|TBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

3 stars (average)
    See you guys down there. Should be good crack.

4 stars (good)
    I'm looking forward to the pints already !

There'll be a bar-stool in Costigans with my name on it afterwards !

3 stars (average)
    tisnotover wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the pints already !

There'll be a bar-stool in Costigans with my name on it afterwards !

Bit of a walk to Costigans after a 26.2 mile hike :cool:.
    A hostelry closer to the finish?
    I think Scotts was the meeting point last year*.

* Although I failed to show :o

4 stars (good)
    yeah we were in scotts last year. not a great buzz in there (apart from the boardsies who were great craic)

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    Bit of a walk to Costigans after a 26.2 mile hike :cool:.
    A hostelry closer to the finish?
    I think Scotts was the meeting point last year*.

* Although I failed to show :o

True about the walk Eli !

I'll be fairly easy as to where we go, but def on for meeting up with whatever boardsies are around.

We must link in with the boards relay teams too, maybe they can have pints waiting for us at finish :D

3 stars (average)
    True about the walk Eli !

I'll be fairly easy as to where we go, but def on for meeting up with whatever boardsies are around.

We must link in with the boards relay teams too, maybe they can have pints waiting for us at finish :D

They will surely wait to cheer us over the line! (and maybe take a picture or two?). Although they will be well thirsty before I show my face on 'Patricks St :o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Ha, I nominate you to be the official first pint getter iner!!!
    You'll be there before me at any rate :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement