Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City Marathon 7.6.10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

4 stars (good)
    DustyBin wrote: »
    Ha, I nominate you to be the official first pint getter iner!!!
    You'll be there before me at any rate :pac:

Must revise my expected marathon pace :p !?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

3 stars (average)
    yeah we were in scotts last year. not a great buzz in there (apart from the boardsies who were great craic)

I met a few people at the Clarion/Boardwalk pub last year. There was a great atmosphere outside (in the sunshine); inside was full of runners; and the boardwalk area is within 200m of City Hall where the bag drop is.

Also, the boardwalk pub was giving free pints to anyone who had a finishers medal!

(I do not have any connection with the Boardwalk pub BTW)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Reading through the Limerick marathon thread there seems to have been lots of bother with a narrow bridge somewhere
    From memory I think Condo or someone else mentioned a small footbridge on the Cork route :confused:
    Does anyone know if this is the case (maybe I imagined it!) and if so what stage it comes at?
    I mean if its shortly after one of the relay changeovers is it likely to cause bottlenecks like what were seen in Limerick?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cerlan

3 stars (average)
    That bridge is in the last couple of miles so no dangers of congestion there, I hope!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    Reading through the Limerick marathon thread there seems to have been lots of bother with a narrow bridge somewhere
    From memory I think Condo or someone else mentioned a small footbridge on the Cork route :confused:
    Does anyone know if this is the case (maybe I imagined it!) and if so what stage it comes at?
    I mean if its shortly after one of the relay changeovers is it likely to cause bottlenecks like what were seen in Limerick?
    Thanks

It's just after the 13 mile mark.
    The relay changeover points are at 5.2 miles, 10 miles (?) and 16 miles AFAIK, so they should not impact on the bridge.
    Having said that the bridge is quite narrow and long (100m) so overtaking is prob out of the question (as is being overtaken.

Condo might have some more (accurate :o) information re the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    It's just after the 13 mile mark.
    The relay changeover points are at 5.2 miles, 10 miles (?) and 16 miles AFAIK, so they should not impact on the bridge.
    Having said that the bridge is quite narrow and long (100m) so overtaking is prob out of the question (as is being overtaken.

Condo might have some more (accurate :o) information re the bridge.

Footbridge comes 3 miles after a relay changeover point. The 2 miles prior to the bridge, although flat, would be reasonably tough miles in my opinion as in general, its an exposed location with the prevailing wind being against you, so the relay field will be well strung out.

The bridge is narrow, but is by no means 'single file' so overtaking would certainly be possible if other runners don't insist on running 2-3 abreast over it. Its a steep enough bridge so if you are slowed on the run up it, its no harm really, it might aid you!

Of course once you get to the middle of the bridge you can look forward to a downhill the otherside followed by about 4 flat miles which are sheltered & shaded and predominately have a wind at your back:D. Should settle you in the run up to the wall....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cerlan

3 stars (average)
    Ignore my comment then. Thought there was a bridge at the end for some reason. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

There is talk of another relay changover point being used to facilitate those who want to do a half&half.

The bridge - just checked this morning, using my Garmin only, and it is approx. 240m long. You will essentially be completely on the flat for 3 miles before it, and again for 4 miles after it.

The bridge is approx. 2m wide and a BHAA 5k goes over it every year (about the 2.25M mark) with about 350 runners, without any problem. It is easily wide enough to cater for two runners side by side and another could pass quickly, provided the other two get tight :D About two years ago, some 'gurriers' drove a fiat seisento up onto the middle of the bridge and set it on fire - so if they can get a seisento up there, I don't think you'll have much of a congestion problem.

I promised to do a photo 'turn by turn' job of the course and to post it. But I've been very busy - the animals are uneasy! I've done some work on this - it's a pain in the h*@% doing it, and I still have to take more photos, inc the bridge. I'm doing the Cheetah Run re-measurement tomorrow, so I'll probably go down and take the photos of that section - its only a mile from our calibration course.

I'm going to do the Photo 'turn by turn' piece on a relay leg basis, otherwise it'll be too long (there are lots of turns!) At the mo', I've taken photos of the entire route, except Mile 1 and from 3 to 7 miles. I'll do what I can over the w/e, and add back miles 1 and 3 to 7 later.

BTW, I'm in trouble with my 'C Team - Cancer Survivors' team, we've had two late withdrawals, and are down to 3 runners. If YOU know any fit/half-fit person who might do a leg for us, please PM me.

We *REALLY NEED YOUR HELP* on this one.
    We've found that 'word of mouth' is the best way of finding people. So if YOU know a Cancer Survivor, who might come on board....please ask them!! This is NOT about running speed...its about Survivorship!!

This is the Bridge:
    IMG_1473.JPG

Close up:
    IMG_1503.JPG

Last known location of Fiat Seisento (R.I.P. - cremated :D ) Note burnt off tar:
    IMG_1505.JPG

Downhill on the other side:
    IMG_1507.JPG

Click on Images for larger size. The ESB 5k (BHAA) race goes over this every year, with some 300 runners in each of the last 3 years. No problems, so shouldn't be any major hassles here (touch wood!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Entry finally in for the full (after 10 minutes on the phone to the bank sorting out my credit card grr...). Looking forward to it now, just two more proper LSRs to go before the big day. PBs are falling all over the place for me at the moment so hoping for another big one at this race :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 happy28

tomorrow is deadine to sign up
    I just did belfast last Monday and feel ok.....
    Im a bit tempted don't know what to do...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

happy28 wrote: »
    tomorrow is deadine to sign up
    I just did belfast last Monday and feel ok.....
    Im a bit tempted don't know what to do...:confused:
    Go for it! :)

Cork has a great atmosphere with all of the relay runners in it as well. As long as you're not trying to break any times, take it easy and you'll be fine.

Think of Belfast as a long training run for Cork ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

3 stars (average)
    Just signed up for the relay this evening, didn't even know tomorrow was the deadline! Can't wait now, ran it in 2008 and it was very enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Deadline for registration extended to tomorrow (Tuesday) due to influx of entries over last few days... http://twitter.com/thecorkmarathon/status/13733690947

4 stars (good)
    xebec wrote: »
    Deadline for registration extended to tomorrow (Tuesday) due to influx of entries over last few days... http://twitter.com/thecorkmarathon/status/13733690947

I presume this is for the relay entries mostly, I mean like, its a bit late to be deciding 4wks out, ya know what, I'm gonna run a marathon ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

2 stars (poor)
    tisnotover wrote: »
    I presume this is for the relay entries mostly, I mean like, its a bit late to be deciding 4wks out, ya know what, I'm gonna run a marathon ;)

I guess some people (like me) hold off until they see how their injuries hold up. I only entered 2 days ago as I was waiting to see how the legs were feeling, not feeling the best but taking the chance :)

4 stars (good)
    I guess some people (like me) hold off until they see how their injuries hold up. I only entered 2 days ago as I was waiting to see how the legs were feeling, not feeling the best but taking the chance :)

Good stuff trotter_inc, mind yourself between this and then, not long to go now ! :eek:

2 stars (poor)
    Is it too late to be thinking about getting a massage done to loosen up the legs a bit?? I've my last 20 miler to complete this Friday, good idea of bad idea to try fit one in before or after it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Is it too late to be thinking about getting a massage done to loosen up the legs a bit?? I've my last 20 miler to complete this Friday, good idea of bad idea to try fit one in before or after it?

Unless you can get it done tonorrow...i would leave it until after the 20 miler.
    Thats just me,i find it takes 3/4 days to get the legs going properly again,and depending on how hard the physio gets into your legs/calves,you could have bruising that will need more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭nutzzz123

3 stars (average)

I'd agree with Sosa there, your legs will be tired after the rub and will feel like dead weight. It happened me with a 15 mile run and it was one of the hardest run ive had!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    nutzzz123 wrote: »
    I'd agree with Sosa there, your legs will be tired after the rub and will feel like dead weight. It happened me with a 15 mile run and it was one of the hardest run ive had!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the advice nutzzz and sosa, reckon I'll leave it until next week so, never had one before, not sure I like the sound of possible bruising afterwards :)

Thanks for the advice nutzzz and sosa, reckon I'll leave it until next week so, never had one before, not sure I like the sound of possible bruising afterwards :)

If its your first ever rub,he/she will probably have a bit of work to do.
    Its not a comfortable experience but it is necessary or you will get injured eventually.
    After my first rub i felt like i was after getting 2 new legs ( a few days after )

Hey folks
    In the run up to Cork what week would any of ye recommend as being optimal for a massage?
    Is it race week, race -1, race -2 ?
    And are ye talking about bit brutes of physios, or the nice ladies down at the spa? :p(I think I might know the answer to this one)
    Thanks

Hey folks
    In the run up to Cork what week would any of ye recommend as being optimal for a massage?
    Is it race week, race -1, race -2 ?
    And are ye talking about bit brutes of physios, or the nice ladies down at the spa? :p(I think I might know the answer to this one)
    Thanks

Hey Dusty,i am talking the brutes...all elbows :eek:....hands just dont get it done :D
    As for when to get it done,i would say at least 7 days beforehand,but i know people who go in 2/3 days before and feel fresher on the day,takes me a while

2 stars (poor)
    I had a very short one done last year about a month beforehand, the guy was an ex prisoner office. Felt like he was using a hammer on my scrawny little legs, was almost shouting with the pain, had to tell him to go lighter on me a good few times :eek:

Found the course elevation profile on the CCM FAQ page if anyones interested:

picture.php?albumid=1194&pictureid=6218

'this little piggy went wee, wee, wee all the way home from mile 21 onwards' ;)

4 stars (good)
    Good stuff, found mapmyrun link as well in same FAQ, details water-stations and relay points:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/cork/595125172371669879

4 stars (good)
    Good stuff, found mapmyrun link as well in same FAQ, details water-stations and relay points:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/cork/595125172371669879

something wrong there though, model farm road is definately not downhill, between miles 21+22 ...

2 stars (poor)
    something wrong there though, model farm road is definately not downhill, between miles 21+22 ...

Yeah, looks a little wrong there alright, that section of the run last year was my hardest and I can DEF tell you it wasn't from downhill running!! :D

I must look at my notes again before adding anything significant. Be aware that Google picks up trees and high buildings in its altitude profile.

Another area where a significant error is evident is the big bump at 13-14. There are only two rises on this section and they're nowhere near as sharp or as long as in the altitude profile. Have a look at the photos of the bridge on page 14 of this thread. That's the rise, the rest of the hill on the elevation is Google's interpretation of the trees on either side of the flat railway cutting!

The course is more or less downhill from 21.5 to 22.5 and flat from there on.

I'm still dragging heels on my photo preview of the course. Hopefully I'll have another stab at it this weekend.

Condo(r)131 - Cork City Marathon Course Measurer (AAI National Grade Measurer)

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Found the course elevation profile on the CCM FAQ page if anyones interested:

FYI.
    That narrow bridge that you were concerned about is after mile 13 and crosses the dual-carriageway (you can probably make it out, even more so if you zoom in) - well away from the relay changeover points (marked with checquered circles)

Finally got round to doing the Turn by Turn preview of Relay Leg 5 - from 22 miles to the finish.

I hope to do another few legs over the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

4 stars (good)
    Great work Mr Condo - I'm actually looking forward to the last few miles now :) What's the old redbrick building out of interest?

Its the Civic Trust House. You can find some of the history on the linked website.

2 stars (poor)
    Condo131 wrote: »
    Finally got round to doing the Turn by Turn preview of Relay Leg 5 - from 22 miles to the finish.

Great help Condo, fair play to you! Educational too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

4 stars (good)
    Did anyone who registered pretty close to the closing date already get their number in the post? Would be interested to know the approximate number that have registered.

Last year I think over 1500 entered but <1300 ran/finished on the day. I entered around April 20th and number was just >1000 then.

3 stars (average)
    Gringo78 wrote: »
    Did anyone who registered pretty close to the closing date already get their number in the post? Would be interested to know the approximate number that have registered.

Last year I think over 1500 entered but <1300 ran/finished on the day. I entered around April 20th and number was just >1000 then.

Might not be much help, but I registered on Feb 11th (keen, I know) and my number was in the 400's, so it might not be following a linear pattern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

3 stars (average)
    Might not be much help, but I registered on Feb 11th (keen, I know) and my number was in the 400's, so it might not be following a linear pattern.

Registered end of April. Number was around the 950 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

registered monday no 1395

• Advertisement

2 stars (poor)
    theduke1 wrote: »
    registered monday no 1395

My number is 1400 odd....

3 stars (average)
    so it might not be following a linear pattern.

Scrap that :o.

It certainly seems linear with upwards of 1400 registered for the full.

2 stars (poor)
    Was supposed to do my final 20 miles today, had a niggling pain under my calf during the week and now it's turned in to a REALLY bad pain where I've resulted to limping...timing is not funny :(

3 stars (average)
    Was supposed to do my final 20 miles today, had a niggling pain under my calf during the week and now it's turned in to a REALLY bad pain where I've resulted to limping...timing is not funny :(

Tough break Trotter.
    Rest well over the weekend.
    It may be that you have to sacrifice this weekends 20 miler. So be it. As other wiser people have said, it's better to line up for the marathon 10% undertrained than injured.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

4 stars (good)
    Tough break Trotter.
    It may be that you have to sacrifice this weekends 20 miler. So be it. As other wiser people have said, it's better to line up for the marathon 10% undertrained than injured.
    Good luck.

Likewise Trotter - don't risk it and make it worse. You've done the main part now so concentrate on getting to the starting post in one piece.

2 stars (poor)
    Tough break Trotter.
    Good luck.

Thanks guys, I just got some advice from a guy who is treating my wife's back injury:

"Rub castor oil in to the leg, wrap it with cling film and apply a hot water bottle to it for an hour."

Too late in the day to get castor oil but will def try this tomorrow, nothing to loose :confused:

• Advertisement

Condo131 wrote: »

Relay Leg 1 - Start to 5.5 miles added but unfinished - I have a few more photos to take on leg 1, and more between the leg 1/2 changeover and the Tunnel.

Thanks guys, I just got some advice from a guy who is treating my wife's back injury:

"Rub castor oil in to the leg, wrap it with cling film and apply a hot water bottle to it for an hour."

Too late in the day to get castor oil but will def try this tomorrow, nothing to loose :confused:
    Hmmm...that's a new one on me. Don't burn your leg :eek::eek: easily done with an injury and a HWB!

Meantime....use your index finger..find the precise sore spot...then use your thumb to deep massage the spot. Get the blood flowing (and healing). Plenty of RICE (NOT Uncle Ben's!) Rest Ice Compression Elevation. As the others say, forget your 20 miler. If you've the work done, it won't kill you, but doing it on an injury is gonna stop your gallop completely. You might lose a few days, but that's a whole lot better than being out of the event!

I will have trouble getting up to the expo on sat or sun to get my number.
    A friend of mine is going up Sunday and staying over ( i'm driving up on the morning ),will they give him my stuff if i give him my reg letter with number on it.

Sosa wrote: »
    A friend of mine is going up Sunday and staying over ( i'm driving up on the morning ),will they give him my stuff if i give him my reg letter with number on it.
    Shouldn't be a problem with your reg letter.

2 stars (poor)
    Sosa wrote: »

Yep, will be fine, they gave me both my own and my mates pack last year, but like the previous poster said, you MUST give him you registration confirmation letter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement