Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok for cats to eat insects?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 11:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

I'm presuming it is but I'm a bit concerned by how many my cat has eaten today!

He's only just turrned 1 so isn't hunting with the big boys get and can only catch insects. He regularly catchs and eats spiders and also bluebottles. Today, he brought in 6 cicadas on separate occasions, presented them to me, played with them for a while and then ate every single one.

Is there any reason why he shouldn't? I'm presuming cats would do this in the wild and it's ok but it just seems kind of wrong to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Insects are fine to eat. A good source of protein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Magnus wrote: »
    Insects are fine to eat. A good source of protein.

and crunchy too by the sounds of things! He is currently munching on one at the moment and cicadas are pretty loud. It's not nice to watch. He looks pretty chuffed with himself though. :)

The quantity of them does concern me though. Where is he getting them from?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The issue would be wasps and the like ...a sting in the wrong place ..a swelling ...and well, you can figure the rest.

So keep an eye on what he brings in

Yeah, that was my concern so I always check what he has. I've just read online that cicadas are eaten as in Malaysia so I guess he is getting a treat, and it's better than a mouse.

Is there any insects that would be poisonous for him to eat? Venomous spiders are very rare in NZ so it's not as bad as if I was in Oz but I do worry about what he'll bring in.

I suppose it is better than a mouse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

My cats are mad for butterflies, love them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hmm, yeah NZ would be a bit safer, I'd be afraid of the Oz spiders definitely!

Friend of mine always has cats, some of them love bluebottles! Chase them round then you get that 'crunchy smack smack' noise of them chewing them. Gross! lol. But never did em any harm. Just watch what they bring in perhaps hun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭HermitHorace

I would take it as a judgement on your cooking.

I.e. your cat will quite happily eat creepy crawlies instead of what you're providing.

When you're husband starts munching through a dead fox he found on the road, you should then book a cooking course.

You're welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

HermitHorace helpful posts in future, if you wish to try out your non funny comments please check the name of the forum first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭HermitHorace

Understood.

I have long gone from worrying about what my cat eats since she returned one day with the carcass of a frog.

Me and my non funny comments stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Eating insect is fine & is a good source of taurin which they need for their eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Except for snails

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My hamster, Dr. Kimble, master escapee, catches and eats spider, the odd fly too if he can catch it. Yummy :eek:..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Mine love the evenings, the minute it gets dark and the kitchen light goes on, out they go. Their preference is for big hairy(crunchy) moths, also love the spiders, and the occasional blue bottle.
    It's a great service they do as my daughter hates bugs.
    The funniest thing is when the pup finds a beetle and throws it around, the cats will try to steal it and eat it. Thats a scrap you just have to watch:D

Edited to add: EGAR is that hamster black? Maybe bit of Ninja hamster:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Yep, pitchblack and long-haired, right little bugger!!

Well, it sounds like Murdoch is in good company, from this thread :)

I'll just continue keeping an eye on the spiders in case they are the rare venomous kind. Fortunately (or unfortunately!) Wellington is quite wet and cool compared to other parts of NZ particularly the North so the nasty spiders are rarer here as they like warmer climates.

Advertisement