Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water mark

Options
  • 01-02-2010 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

I'm just wondering has anyone experienced the following - I have a watermark across my living room ceiling. At first I assumed it was the back bedroom radiator, but the heating is working and there is no ongoing pressure loss. Its in an elongated "H" shape about the width of a radiator and, further back towards the back door there is a circular , saucer sized water mark. Does it make sense to anyone ? Its brown in colour and the ceiling is bone dry.

I had a friend with plumbing experience have a superficial look at it and as he said, leaks dont come and go and if it was an ongoing leak, I would know about it quickly enough. I've had the heat on a lot and thermostat has been up to 25 plus so could it be something drying out ?

I bled the radiator about six months ago and there was water everywhere, so I'm wondering could it have seeped down but I didn't think it was the amount that this mark suggests, though its under the radiator.

Any thoughts on or experience of same would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what type of house are you in? We had a leak in our kitchen under where the back wall of the bedroom above meets the low roof (ie the single story bit of the house the sticks out at the back). Again, we assumed it was the rad, but it turned out it was rain getting under the flashing where the roof met the back wall - only happened when there was heavy rain blowing in from an easterly direction, hence it was intermittent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

We had a water mark (well still have it, but the cause has been fixed...) on the living room ceiling. Turned out to be the pipe connecting the cistern to the toilet in the upstairs loo. The cause was that every time the loo was flushed the cistern was pulled slightly due to the length of the rod from the handle to the flush mechanism, loosening the connection. The connection may need a new seal.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Could be related to the bath. I know of a number of houses that have had leaks caused by the baths not being fitted correctly.
    If its on the toilet end of your living room maybe check this out. It was the cause of the watermark in my place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

thanks very much folks - I'm in a terraced two bed with the living room at the back and the back bed over the lean to/sticky out bit - I actually hung out the back window this morning to check the flashing because I thought it might be coming in from there, but still couldn't understand why it seems to be intermittent, - I side onto the golfcourse/beach and by golly it exposed alright so that might be whats happening.

The toilet is over the other side of the stairs so I'm inclined to the flashing theory - Loyatemu can I ask how did you get it resolved and can I have their number ?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Ah! My living room is to the front. It may well be the flashing, it was an issue brought up by my snagger and the whole block I'm in had to be redone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Maisy wrote: »
    thanks very much folks - I'm in a terraced two bed with the living room at the back and the back bed over the lean to/sticky out bit - I actually hung out the back window this morning to check the flashing because I thought it might be coming in from there, but still couldn't understand why it seems to be intermittent, - I side onto the golfcourse/beach and by golly it exposed alright so that might be whats happening.

The toilet is over the other side of the stairs so I'm inclined to the flashing theory - Loyatemu can I ask how did you get it resolved and can I have their number ?!!

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

Problem happily resolved, thanks for helpful pointers folks, - btw discovered that Ronseal make a spray stain blocker, for covering water marks, Ronseal Quick Drying Stain Blocker spray paint, does exactly....ya know the rest..... :D

Advertisement