Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raheny test next week- scared!!

• 01-02-2010 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

I'm doing my test in Raheny on Feb 9th (less than a month after booking it!). I bought a car in September and feel like I've done loads of practicing in it- even drove in Dublin City Centre- which I thought was impressive!!
    Went out with my dad then yesterday for a spin around the Raheny area and he was pulling me up on loads of stuff!!
    I'm super nervous now. Just wondering should I do a pre- test in the area or can I do one anywhere? I live in Balbriggan now, so I'd have to drive out to Raheny to do it with an instructor out there. Would it be pointless doing a pre-test locally? Also, was considering doing a lesson or two as well- they're well cheaper than a pre- test and I figure I'll learn the same.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

You can do Pre-test lessons anywhere but you should get some practice on the test routes.

As the price of lessons / pre-test. You pay for the instructors time and not the type of the information they give. So learner lessons and or Pre-Test lessons should be the same price (maybe an instructor is doing a deal of some sort) around €30 to €45 a hour.

Any time i come across a driving instructor which gives cheep lessons or pre-tests, it is because the instructor thinks that they don't need to do much. Here is information (www.drivingtesttips.ie)which will give you a good start on the driving test and for your own sake get a Qualified Instructor to give you lessons/pre-tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If i was in your position i'd get driving lessons on the Raheny route. When i had my test i done it in an area i never drove in before, i got a number of an instructor that was recommended to me. 2 Lessons and i was ready. Didn't do a pre-test to be honest, for me i would get nothing out of it. He showed me how the test works and what the tester is looking for etc and i just practiced the routes. First time pass also.

Just because you pass a pretest doesn't mean a lot, i know loads of people who pass a pretest only to fail the actual test. Practice on the test routes with an instructor and he'll tell you exactly what your doing right and wrong. Also i'm sure your Dad has the best intentions in showing you what your doing wrong but get help from a professional instructor, i had "experienced" drivers making me crazy with their driving tips :pac:

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭DrivingTestTips: Brian

When I say Pre-Test Lessons I mean lessons where you are learning how to pass the driving test and not a mock test. Driving Instructors are NOT testers and should not act as such.

Telling people they passed their mock test is just a way of given false confidence and I don't think anyone should pay for that (in my opinion it a scam), anyone can sit in a car with somone who doesn't' know and tell them they would have passed "and then charge for that".

I always tell/show people how to drive correctly and then on your test listen and drive in the way you know is correct. (If you don't know what is correct, "you need information/lessons")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Don't mind what others say aside from trained instructors. According to my Dad the night before my test in Raheny I needed more practice -- which was contrary to my instructor who told me I was a grand driver. My Dad was pulling me up on small stupid things, none of which I was pulled up on during the test itself. Forget about nerves, just drive the best you can and if something goes wrong during the test, leave it behind you.

As regards pre-tests. I'd recommend them, the instructors would know the most commonly used roads for tests in the area and will help you focus on them. Such as the common areas where they do reversing, turn about in the road, hill-starts.

When I did my test we literally did the checks, pulled away, around the square and right into a housing estate and did the reversing manoeuvre. Then out onto main Howth road and left at the lights at the garage -- lots of cars parked either side of this road so watch speed, position and observation.

Into another housing estate, then another, back out onto Vernon Ave near Clontarf, into another housing estate and into a cul-de-sac. Did 3-point turn here, but was a nice wide road.

Headed back out to Coast Road - watch speed and road position and left into Raheny. Asked to pull over for hill-start -- Wouldn't really call it a hill. Next left past St. Annes and back to the test center. Don't park on double-yellow lines when he asks you to park up!

With some luck you will have passed. One thing myself and others have to say is that the testers in Raheny are very courteous and don't make you feel uncomfortable. Good luck ;)

Advertisement