Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein/SDLP pact

Options
  • 01-02-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

If the DUP and UUP agree a Unionist pact for the Westminister election in May should the Nationlist parties to the same? In particular the crucial swing seats of South Belfast and Fermanagh/South Tyrone where the split Unionist vote got sinn fein and sdlp over the line. Also North Belfast where Gerry Kelly could get the seat off Nigel Dodds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

They might not want to out of respect for the electorate.

If I were a UUP voter I'd be majorly pissed if they had a pact so that my only unionist option was a bible bashing DUPer.

Some nationalist voters don't vote Sinn Fein due to past connection with PIRA. Sinn Fein voters may have reservations about SDLP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Sounds like a call for a return to sectarianism.
    I'd prefer to be represented by a good unionist than a poor nationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

the sdlp have already agreed a pact with fianna fail. How could they now with sinn fein.

It surly would be stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fiann

It is not possible for Sinn Féin and SDLP to merge in a formal political pact, for they stand at different crossroads, at leat for the moment.

“It is disappointing that the SDLP should use their annual conference as a platform to share the ground held by rejectionist unionists like Jim Allister in criticising an agreement which has been welcomed widely by ordinary citizens.
    “Sinn Féin want to work with the SDLP and the other parties in the Executive in delivering for communities. Unfortunately in recent years the SDLP have instead been more interested in standing on the sidelines and sniping as Martin McGuinness and others did the heavy lifting.
    “Judging by the tone of the SDLP conference this weekend it seems that the policy of negative politics, self exclusion and a semi-detached involvement in the Good Friday Agreement political institutions is set to continue.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Unfortunately the SDLP has refused even limited pacts in the past, and the current bunch show no sign of changing their tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Simply wouldn't work, I know SDLP despise SF, don't know if its reciprocated

Advertisement