Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cutting 1/2" copper pipe options

• 01-02-2010 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for options on cutting 1/2" copper pipe to repair it after a burst. Bought a cheap pipe cutter but it ended up compressing the pipe rather than cutting. also tried hacksaw which made sum progress but broke. so have messed up pipe a little and dont want to make it anmy worse. what would be a good option to cut through it without messing it up more, hacksaw with a new blade, jig saw, angle grinder or better pipe slice/cutter - wouldnt see myself using pipe cutter etc again too often.

any advice appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Do you know any plumbers, get a lend of one of those pipe cutters you just pop on the pipe and rotate. Some component is spring loaded so it requires no force from you to use bar rotating it (avoids your crimping problem)

My brother is a plumber and I am always impressed by those little things.

245067.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Your pipe cutter is probably fine, if it has a screw to adjust the cutting wheel then you need to move it in in fairly small increments when cutting, about half a turn or less at a time. Then rotate the cutter several rotaions around the pipe until it rotates quite freely before moving in cutting wheel in again slightly and repeating the process. It usually takes three or four adjustments to cut through the pipe wall. Pipe cutters always compress the pipe a little, and you should file out the internal diameter of the pipe afterwards to prevent flow restriction.

A hacksaw can be used if you can support the pipe to prevent it moving too much, but some level of skill is required to get a square cut, and you will need to file off the burrs to get the pipe into the fitting afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

thanks, may be able to borrow one of those pipe slice jobs. may practice with the pipe cutter another time - sound slike i wasnt using it correctly.

Advertisement