Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is it "warm" enough to go camping, and has anyone camped in Spring before?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Well that’s Winter officially over!!!! :)

....And hopefully I’ll be dusting down the sleeping bag and tent and heading for the hills soon.

However my question is this, how soon is it safe to go camping, without freezing your balls off.:eek:

Obviously the equipment you have and clothes you wear are a big factor.

But has anyone camped in March before?

Myself and the Lads are smart enough to dress well, but we would be novice campers.

So if you’ve done it and enjoyed it or bitterly regretted, can you let me know your experiences.

Thanks Folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Doesn't your sleeping bag have a temperature rating on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Its safe to go camping at any time in any weather in Ireland if you are properly prepared!

I quite like camping in weather like the moment though haven't done it in a while.
    The biggest factor can be weather whether you have access to a decent fire and wood supply or not. Can make a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Doesn't your sleeping bag have a temperature rating on it?

eeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh maaaaaybe :confused:

I'm not sure L31mr0d to be honest.:o

I'm gonna invest in a proper sleeping bag this year anyway.

My concern is just we'll get cold and won't be able to get the heat into us, or we'll wake up at 5 in the morning absolutley freezing!!! :eek:

There will be a few beers on the go. (we always obey the camping rules!!);)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

oldscoil wrote: »
    There will be a few beers on the go. (we always obey the camping rules!!);)

Well, you will lose heat a lot faster from drinking alcohol. The supposed warming affect of whiskey and other alcohols is a myth. What it actually does is cause your blood vessels to dilate allowing more blood to flow to the surface of your skin. So you "feel" warmer, due to having warm blood from your core on the surface of your skin, but you are actually expending heat a lot faster than normal.

Regardless though, warmth shouldn't be an issue, just bring layers. If worst comes to worst, you can always share body warmth in the spooning position :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I've been camping on New Year's eve a couple of times and on a -12 night in February 6 or 8 years ago. On a very cold night, a good (quickly prepared) fire and a good supply of dry wood is essential. Not everybody agrees with lighting fires but I don't have a problem with it tbh.*

The most important thing is to keep a lot of layers between yourself and the ground. At least 2 or 3 foam mats and whatever else you can get your hands on. I usually use 2 sleeping bags in winter too and wear a hat or balaclava even better! I'd also wear a full set of clothes with plenty of layers (in bed!). You'd also want to have something extra to put on when you get up the next morning because the cold will hit you hard after being cocooned in all those cozy layers all night!

It's better to over-do it with gear than to be cold. I've done that once too and it is the most miserable night you will ever have, shivering all night.

* [On a side issue, how do people here feel about camping fires? I don't mind once a mess of half burnt wood isn't left lying around, not to mention burnt pots, pans, beans tins, cans and all the other junk left by the dim-witted camper... But that's another issue!]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Re the sleeping bag.

Believe it or not I have a 5-7 years old one that cost me less than 50 quid at the time.

Never been cold apart from when have to get up at 4 in the morning for a whizz. Dunno why, it should be a crap sleeping bag but it does the job far better than some of the ones my friends have.

A key piece of equipment in cold weather is a ground mat. You'll lose a lot of heat into the ground otherwise. If space is not an issue pick up a cheap air filled on. My GF got a vango one the other day for €30. The only difference between them and the more expensive ones in their ability to pack down really small.

There are other small practical things you can do, keep tent door facing away from wind direction, choose a sheltered site, wear multiple lighter layers rather than one heavy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I agree. Don't think it matters how much you spend on these things as long as you bring enough of them. A hood on a sleeping bag is a great benefit on the really cold nights although you do spend a lot of time trying to get it to 'turn' when you do :pac: Plus, when you do invariably need to get up for a pee, it can be quite a task to get out of all this gear :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Went camping this day 24 years ago! Two weeks in sunny Glen of Imaal*. If you have the right equipment and know what you're doing you can go camping any time of year.

*And the wife wonders why I've an aversion to camping...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 actingthegoat

I camped with some friends last Feb on Inis Mor, and it was surprisingly grand. I love camping but was expecting the cold to be a huge issue- I had a medium sleeping bag,twasnt one of these ones for actic conditions or anything, and just wore a few extra layers.I was also under the impression that alcohol helped warm us up but I stand corrected :D Plus I used a yoga mat to lie on. A good tip that I got was to wear a hat to keep the heat in, and think it really helped.
    Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Get yourself a bivvy bag from any outdoors shop. I carry one nearly all the time, could easily save your life!
    Spent a few cold nights in january last year in nothing more than a good sleeping bag and 2 bivvy bags, one with the reflective foil.

they were less than a fiver last time I checked

• Advertisement
Advertisement