Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions to ask when negotiating with hotels

Options
  • 01-02-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

So we're off to view a potential venue for the reception this weekend (lough Erne golf resort in Enniskillen) and am wondering has anyone any advice about what questions to be asking etc.

Have a copy of their menus-I see we have to pick the set meals for the guests, hate this- I feel guests should have a choice about what they'd like to eat.but they say weddings of over 100 guests then you have to pick what guests will have.

Plus I emailed them last week about their corkage rates....£19 per bottle:eek:...almost fell over.Sounds CRAZY just to open a bottle!!

We hoping to have 150 guests and MAX we're spending on food/wine at reception is €9,000 - is this realistic?

Anyway ANY advice would be great about what I should be asking and enquiring about when we meet the events manager.

Thanks boards.ie!;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

What are they quoting at the moment per head?

I noticed when negotiating is that the hotel don't want to lower the price but might through in extras (free food in the evening)

Sometimes it helps if you can give something back (maybe wine reception instead of champagne)

Corkage is high so you should get that down. I say €10 with that starting price.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭acb

They have a deal on at the moment which got us interested £52 per person includes chair covers and saches on the chairs, Candelabras with flowers on Tables and tea/coffee/shortbread on arrival (assume thats for guests!)

The hotel: http://www.loughernegolfresort.com/weddings.html

The package:
    http://www.loughernegolfresort.com/ENG/static_files/files/wp_2010.pdf

(before that we were thinking of Tuscany...was becoming a nightmare)

After they qouted £19 to open bottle of wine I emailed them and told them MAX we could pay was 60euro pp which has to include the 2 glasses of wine with dinner and they said they'll organise something.
    They were offering 2 starters so I said they could scrap one of them...
    I think people would prefer extra glass of wine rather than extra starter, would others agree?

Havent even though about evening food...but friend suggested we cut our cake then...people and eat it then! Cut on costs bit, thought this was a good idea...

The fact that we have to pick fixed menu for guests is somthing I'm definitely goign to talk with them about...feel it looks cheap or something and isnce I'm fussy eater I can expect others to be also!
    You think it is unreasonable to ask my family before what would they like to eat and then before the wedding give chef idea of numbers on food?
    Would this be bit weird askign people what would they like to eat 2 weeks before a wedding??!

Thanks everyone for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

We booked our venue last week.
    Is 58 per person.
    this includes, tea coffee,biscuits and sparkling wine on arrival. 5 course meal (no options) and 2 glasses of wine with dinner and also evening food. There are other bits and pieces thrown in as well.
    We asked about putting an option on the main course and will be approx €2 which isnt bad. I also asked about a sorbet course which the hotel said they would throw in for free.
    Corkage in the hotel is €8. They also said that since there were 2 glasses on wine included witht he package, they would half the corkage to €4 if we chose to bring in our own wine.
    Hotels are defo more inclined to throw in extras than lower the price.

Thanks Bookkeeper09!
    Thats giving me great idea of what we can get!

Where abouts is your hotel?
    I just wonder that fact mine is in the North (which is out of recession)...make any difference!

Ours is in Dublin.
    They are also actually throwing in hotel rooms for both sets parents and no charge for the bar extension!

• Advertisement

Bookkeeper...that sounds great.
    Feel now like I have alot of talking to do come sat!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mikeystipey

hi acb, got married a few months ago, a few thoughts:

Asking people what they would like to eat beforehand - I suggested this to the wedding coordinator at a hotel we were looking at and she said this would be unusual and could be tricky as people change their minds on the day anyway. I would say just have a choice on the main course and no option for the starter and dessert. This is what most weddings have so peope will expect it. That way you would only have an 'option charge' for the main course.

Cake for afters food - this is definitely a good idea, we did this and it was all eaten

Champagne reception - definitely ok to give this a miss. Over half the weddings I've been to over the last 2 years have had mulled wine or sparkling wine instead. No need to be too flashy with the times that are in it :)

acb wrote: »
    Bookkeeper...that sounds great.
    Feel now like I have alot of talking to do come sat!:rolleyes:

Will have a look at the hotel brochure later and let you know if there was anything else!!
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

The main thing that you've got to remember is that it's a buyers market at the moment. Hotels & golf clubs are not are going through a rough patch at the moment. I was talking to a golf club manager of a prestigous golf club last week and he told me that their membership is down about 25 - 30% on 2007. As a result, they places need to boost revenue in other ways.

I really haggled for our reception prices last year. Firstly, try to write off any charges for putting an extra choice on the menu. Those little charges really do add up.

Try to negotiate an 'all-in' price per head. This price would include tea/coffee on arrival, champagne for family, meal, drink for toast and then food later that night.

And finally, do not be afraid to haggle, haggle, haggle!!! Just remember that they need your business

Advertisement