Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash for Canon 450D

• 01-02-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Heading to the US next month so can hopefully pick up a bargain if needs be. Was looking for a flash for my DSLR. Went into a shop and was recommended the Metz AF1-48 at EUR269. The Canon 560EX II was way more.

From my limited knowledge if I go with the Metz then I don't get to use the on camera flash function menus to control the flash whereas with a Canon product I do. Is this a major drawback in going for a non Canon product? Also are there any non Canon flashes that would work as if they were a Canon proprietary product?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

My understanding is the metz should work perfectly on a Canon, exactly like their own model.

That price looks quite steep though, look here for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

i have the 430ex ii only a week old thinkin of sellin for 290

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I picked up a 430 EX II in the US recently new for less than $300, if you have a look on craigslist I'd say you could organise a pretty sweet deal for significantly less too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

Thanks for the advice so far. Looks like I got some duff gen in the camera shop regarding the Metz and its ability to operate fully to the Canon spec. And the price is the usual rip off Ireland so I will definitely shop around and continue to read up on reviews.

Anyone know of any decent camera shops in Orlando? Have been to a Ritz before and found them good. Best Buy might be worth a go although their online prices don't look that competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I've got some friends bringing a 430EXII over to me from Seattle shortly. Current prices online for one of them appears to be about $280 including taxes, which amounts to 200 euro pretty much at current exchange rates.

I'll admit that I know very little about SLRs and their accoutrements - my first DSLR is barely a fortnight old (a 500D, I thought I'd treat myself) but I did spend a while reading reviews (on Amazon and B&H Photo, dunno if I should trust them completely), and it really did seem like the concensus was "buy a Canon flash if you can afford it", and oddly that a lot of the reviews I read seemed to suggest that a lot of the other flashes weren't as solidly built as the Canons, but that it didn't seem to affect them in any way.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Advertisement
Advertisement