Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North Tipp Sprint

• 01-02-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

No thread that I can find so I will start one.

Just entered, who else is in? 750m swim this year or is this a typo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

Just in also , delaying meetings here just to get my entry in .its filling fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭Bambaata

im in too. only 26 spots remaining. i haven't done a pool based tri before. Is there much of an advantage being able to tumble turn? i cant right now but might start practising!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bambaata wrote: »
    im in too. only 26 spots remaining. i haven't done a pool based tri before. Is there much of an advantage being able to tumble turn? i cant right now but might start practising!!

If you are a competent tumbler then yes.
    Other aspect is it's a case of everyone or no one in a lane. If someone in a lane can't or won't tumble then no one will be allowed.

Tumbling is also great for making pool training more beneficial for OW races. Less breaks for breath or in rhytmn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I see tumble turns are only permitted in the elite wave? I wonder if all in your lane can/will tumble in the slower wave will it be permitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm in. Looking forward to it as it was my first Tri last year. I was in wave 6 of 7 last year and no there were no tumple turns aloud. Not that I can do them anyway. Turning at the wall is something I have to work on. Is it worth the effort for 2 pool based tris this season?

Oh and yes, its 750m. I was speaking to the Race Director recently and its 750m because its a NS race this year.

• Advertisement

yeah, not that I can tumble turn either but interested all the same.

whoa just flicked through the entry list and the standard has definitely upped the ante this year. Tunney will be doing extremely well to retain it if he shows, 2 serious cyclists I know gonna be there... expect some lightening bike splits for this one!

So, 3 weeks to go... :eek:

:( dont remind me. Training hasn't been what i had hoped but at least i took 36 seconds off my 100m swim tt yesterday (not that it is anywhere near MCOS's though!!)

hah, I also did a swim TT last night to see how I was set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

whoa just flicked through the entry list and the standard has definitely upped the ante this year. Tunney will be doing extremely well to retain it if he shows, 2 serious cyclists I know gonna be there... expect some lightening bike splits for this one!

If only it was a bike race and not a triathlon :)

BUMP

Not long now, wave list to be up today.

looking forward to seeing those waves!

In for this for the moment , waiting for the feeling to come back into my feet after yesterdays Conn Half before I make a decision.
    On the tumble turns I had thought they were not allowed this year as its a national series race ? either way makes no odds to me as I cannot either swim fast or tumble turn .

http://www.nenaghtriathlon.com/Course-Map.html

Change in the bike course...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Swim Lanes are up now on www.nenaghtriathlon.com

Wave 6 - Lane 5... anyone else in with me?

Wave 7 lane 2 (insert worried/nervous similie here!!)

Wave 3 Lane 5 : If I make it along . I Think they provide the armbands with this wave .

Wave 7 lane 2 (insert worried/nervous similie here!!)

Lynne Algar is in your lane, that is a distraction that will soon calm your nerves ;)

Wave 7 lane 6 myself but looking increasingly likely that I won't be free to race :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭kevin7

Wave 5 Lane 5
    Hope to meet some of you there!

I'm really beginning to look forward to this one now...the excitement is building......Not least because my new bike ought to be ready for me today! The only racing bike I own a 25 years old Peugout ....cost a lot in its day! So other tri's (bar one) have been done on borrowed bikes!

One other thing...the weather should be georgous again, as it was last year, so a good morning awaits! :cool:

Hey Kevin 7 you in wave 5.. now thats sandbagging I'm expecting big things from you in that wave :p

I've a free pass so looking forward to it myself now! Yep should be nice conditions too woohoo :D

Hey Kevin 7 you in wave 5.. now thats sandbagging I'm expecting big things from you in that wave :p

Hmmmm....didn't know what "sandbagging" meant till I looked it up now! OK - lets just say my estimated time may have erred on the side of caution rather than bravado! :o

Seeing as you're in Wave 6 and you'll be starting about 20 minutes after me, I'll let you use me as a target to catch during the run.

Having just had a quick look at last year's results, you were 11 minutes clear of me then.........so unless disaster strikes at this end, or you've been at ninja-tri-training camp, I'll be waiting for you at the finishing line! :)

kevin7 wrote: »
    Seeing as you're in Wave 6

Aaaah...my mistake...yer in Wave 7....now that it makes it a bit tougher for you!

kevin7 wrote: »
    ninja-tri-training camp,

Where can I sign up to that!

Yeah I stumbled upon your secret lunchtime masters swimming so your game's up. You belong in wave 6 at least young man so You should have the joy of leading a wave on Saturday me thinks which could be cool - like leading a race!

HEADLINE : Mainly dry, settled weather continuing up to and including Monday next. Friday night will be dry, with clear spells. Minimum temperatures 1 to 5 Celsius, with a touch of ground frost. A few patches of mist or fog also, with just a light northwesterly or variable breeze. Saturday, Sunday and Monday will be mainly dry, with bright or sunny spells, but cloudier intervals in some areas also, with a small chance of a few spots of light rain or drizzle at times, mainly near north and northwest coasts. Winds on Saturday will be mostly light to moderate, westerly or variable, becoming moderate northeasterly on Sunday. Max. 10 to 15 C over the weekend

Sweet!

Glad to see your back in mcos, will keep an eye out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck everyone. Looks like the weather is going to be ideal for this. Enjoy! :cool:

yeah good luck all. looking forward to this despite the fact ill be dunked a few times on the swim

Great day for the race today. I was a little disappointed overall but can’t be too much.

I knew I was out of my depth in the swim lane I was in as it was the fast wave so I’m not yet matching the times of the quick guys in the water. I stayed at the back and managed to hang on for about 3 lengths but the others were all tumble turning and I found it hard to get back the 2 to 3 metres I was losing each time and from pushing off as hard as I could my goggles started filling. I messed up about 3 laps trying to fix them and finally got going. I then let 3 through as I knew I would have to (they mentioned times from 9:30 to 10:30 at the start, me 12:30 so i knew that was inevitable!). I'm almost positive the group I was with either did 1 lap too few or I did 1 too many cos I did 4 laps after they had all gone which didn't add up. I hadn't counted myself so I wasn't sure so got on with it. Ended the swim bang on my target but in the end I was actually disappointed with it. It was my first pool swim tri and the first lane I've ever been in with anymore than 2 others so I learned a lot from the experience. I never got comfortable and rushed my stroke too much so i could possibly have taken time off that had I steadied myself. I've never drafted in the swim before but the bits I managed to today really showed me how much it can help!! Had I managed to have my goggles on right in think I may have hung with them but sure it wasn't to be and lesson learned.

I then flapped around in T1 looking for my bloody sun glasses which must have got a kick from the earlier waves as they were nowhere near where I had them set out. Bike was tough. A fair bit of dragging hills and blustering winds. Caught MCOS and another guy and got a small bit of room from them only to get stuck behind a tractor for far too long. Finally got around that and got motoring again and passed a few more before T2. Enjoyed it tough. Managed 30:21, average 37.4km/hr

The run was a great course. Some small sharp climbs which were a nice test. I was caught by 3 which included Elena Maslova but I decided I wasn't gona let her go so stuck with her and eventually passed her with 1km to go. I was happy to post a 3:44/km average for the run which was slightly long (about 5.35/5.4km)

In the end I was 10th and am happy with that. I lost needless time here and there but sure nothing can be done about that now and seeing as I just wanted to break top 20 at the start 10th is great. Great bit of sun and this evening I notice I've got the first marks of the trisuit tan. Last year’s didn't go until about November! Fingers crossed most races enjoy such weather this year.

• Advertisement

Good show yesterday Bambaata , good times all round :
    I enjoyed it yesterday and while not in the same league as yourself and MCOS and some of the other guys here I was happy enough with my own level . I was only 140 places behind you so you need to watch your back:D
    On the swim I definately had 32 laps which counts alot for me at my pace as its close to 70sec's , more disappointed that I let it annoy me for the next 20mins , lost a min in t1 been annoyed about it. Bike was ok for me , didn't notice the hills really (as you can see from my splits) . Run wa always going to be tough for me , did Conn half last week where I blew up at 7miles, complted he run in about 26mins which is 5mins outside my pb .
    Would have happily taken 1:26 yesterday morning as I have had 2 swims since Feb and 2 bikes since March.
    Well orgainsed yesterday with a good mix of abilities .
    Looking forward to the next one and joining a club .

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Enjoyed the event yesterday.
    Just need to sort the swimming out and all will be even more enjoyable.

Nice rolling hills on both the bike and the run.

Well done to all who took part. Hope you got the time you were after.

The season has commenced :D

Well done toomuchdetail and NeedsTraining. I was happy with my position alright. You can only race against who turns up and i was happy with the times from all 3 parts. Best part about dry races is i dont have to clean my bike again :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

In the end i was 10th and am happy with that. I lost needless time ere and there but sure nothing can be done about that now and seeing as i just wanted t break top 20 at the start 10th is great. Great bit of sun and this evening i notice ve got the first marks of the trisuit tan. last years didnt go til about November! Fingers crossed most races enjoy such weather this year.

Great start to the season. Well done. Savage weekend for racing

Just thought I may as well share my thoughts on last Saturday's event....

All good...a thoroughly enjoyable day. Good crowd, good weather, very well organised..thanks to Nenagh Triathlon Club and their volunteers.

Very happy with the swim.....I experienced a little delay near the end when I caught up with the pack in my lane. I went past 1 or 2 eventually, but they were swiimming at a consistent speed one after the other, so understandably, people were reluctant to let me pass, cos I guess they were already swimming on the toes of the person in front of them.

All my fault for not putting in a quick enough estimated time.....lesson learned. Having said all that, the delay didnt actually bother me in the slightest, cos overall I may have slowed down 10-20 seconds, but seeing as I got a bit more rest, that was energy saved for the bike!

Bike : Really enjoyed myself here, mainly because I was on my brand new bike - first ever racing bike - and I'd only picked it up from the shop 2 days earlier. Its a Willier Lavarede, by the way.

Run : Did an old man's shuffle for the first 2K or so...I just didnt have the energy to get going....however, those around me seemed to be going at a similar speed, so I guess it was acceptable! After this, found plenty of energy and did a good pacy last half of the run, even finishing with a good canter.

Time was 1:17 which I was happy with. No particular target...which is a bit unusual for me in a race...I've usually got some number fixated in my brain which I'm determined to beat!

Comparing to last year, the swim was 750m rather than 500m, but, adding 50% to last year's time, shows I made a 60 second improvement this year which I'm delighted with! Bike : 3.5 mins faster but 1K shorter, and on a more hilly course, both days slightly breezy...I guess thats an improvement. Run : 30 seconds slower on the same course! Hmm...now thats not so good. I think my slow start was where I lost it!
    Transitions were faster...actually saved 30 seconds.....

I was in a hurry to get out of there as I wanted to meet the mammy for lumch for here birthday, so didnt stick around for post-race chat and cake...usually an integral part of the day!

Looking forward to Nenagh 2011 already!

I ate your cake!

• Advertisement
Advertisement