Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP: 'closing networks connections' login screen looping

• 01-02-2010 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I am hoping one of you guys can help me. I have a pc running XP that when I power on and type in the password at the login screen it fails to log in. It says something like 'closing network connections'.

I tried running it in safe mode but I can't get past the login screen, even in safe mode. I tried running the last known good configuration but it was the same story. I can't system restore to a previous date either as I am unable to get past the login screen.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

This is a problem caused by spyware removal tools, or sometimes viruses.

Solution below:

Get into recovery console:

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.
    CD SYSTEM32
    (If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE
    Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.
    You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Now, change the USERINIT value in the registry

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT. Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ WindowsNT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon
    In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Hey Gone Drinking. Thanks for that.

Before I start doing this, do you know how I can find out the built-in Administrator password because the computers were set up years ago by someone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Nephew wrote: »
    Hey Gone Drinking. Thanks for that.

Before I start doing this, do you know how I can find out the built-in Administrator password because the computers were set up years ago by someone else.
    Google might be your best friend for that. The forum rules here might apply as to giving away such info here.
    (a mod might confirm this? If its ok, I can recommend a number of products.)
    Enter in google or yahoo search engine it something like "admin password recovery disk"

Thanks, Biggins.

The problem is I can't log in to that particular computer to install any software.

Do you know if the password is a default Microsoft password or would it have been created by the person who originally set up the computers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ERD commander 2005 is a great resource in the repair of broken pc's. Some very handy apps on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Use the password that you use for your windows login, if you're set as an administrator.

Otherwise, leave it blank and hit enter.

Gone Drinking, I tried loads of password combinations earlier except the one you said:o. I'll try that one first thing in the morning, with a bit of luck it works. Thanks.

Use the password that you use for your windows login, if you're set as an administrator.

Otherwise, leave it blank and hit enter.

Tried leaving it blank earlier and using the normal login password and neither worked. I even managed to get hold of the guy who set it up and he told me he didn't create and Administrator password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Boards.ie computer section has in its charter that we can't help people do certain things, like resetting passwords or given access to our awesome pron/warez shares.

But we can help out by suggesting useful app's and utilities which are great tools in the repair of desktops and laptops. Hint hint, fu*king hint.

Thanks guys, ERD did the job. Cuddles, I had no blank discs until last night so I wasn't able to use it till today, btw I got the hint ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement