Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying first car

• 01-02-2010 12:23pm

I'm close to buying my first car and I was just wondering about something. Not sure if this is the right board. When you buy a car, is it up to the owner to get it to you? I'm a learner driver with only a few lessons so I wouldn't be exactly comfortable in driving it too far. I also worry about the fact that I wouldn't be insured on the vehicle in order to take it home. What's the deal with this? What do you do after buying a car?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If the seller wants to make a sale then accommodating the buyer by delivering it wouldn't be unusual. within reason of course!

As above really in most cases, I sold a Prelude during the summer, chap that bought it wasn't insured so I delivered it to Skibberean for him and he drove me back to Cork City in his car. As I said to him, I want to sell and he wants to buy to 50 miles shouldn't dent the deal. The car I have now the seller brought from Connemara to Galway City for me.

Most folks are totally reasonable and will help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Just ask the person seling it to you to bring it to your house if that's what you want. Organising insurance is generally done before the sale is completed though, not a whole lotta point going home with a car you can't insure (or can't afford to insure).

Roadtax and NCT also have to be arranged, these can be organised over the phone when the change of ownership documents are sent back from the motortax office to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

waynewex wrote: »
    I'm a learner driver with only a few lessons so I wouldn't be exactly comfortable in driving it too far.

I'd recommend you save up and wait until you have the full license. That's what I plan on doing.

Insurance will be less of a bother then going for a car on a Provisional License, that and you also need to have a named driver with you that has had a full license for a while, don't recall the exact number of years though.

Many folks require hours and hours and hours of driving before they would contemplate sitting a test, I include myself in that. I was driving my own car for a year and a half before sitting a test. The waiting list was a factor in that too though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement