Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nova networks cobh

Options
  • 01-02-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

Hi i'm with Nova network's 5mb package.However i'm only getting 300kbs while downloading.Anyone else having these issue's

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

dave1982 wrote: »
    Hi i'm with Nova network's 5mb package.However i'm only getting 300kbs while downloading.Anyone else having these issue's

I didn't think Nova did a 5 Mb package? Only 3 and 6? I'm with them in Cobh too on the 3 Mb package. While I have been severly critical of their service in the past, it's been basically fine for the last 2 yrs or so. You can check your spped at speedtest.net. I regularly get pretty close to the 3 Mb alright. Only thing is now their prices seem expensive now that DSL has become available in my area though. Although that's 48:1 contention (I think Nova ia 12:1). Decisions decisions....

There may also be a bit of terminology confusion going on. Broadband providers quote their speed in megaBITS. Your Windows downloader displays speeds in kilo/megaBYTES, an 8-fold difference. e.g.

5 Megabits/s = 625 kilobytes/s.

i.e. you would be getting approx of your max download speed, which I think would generally be considered OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Yeah i';m hitting 5mb on speedtest.net.It's when i'm downloading file's torrent's etc it hit's 500kbs down.Then there is a drastic drop to 300ish.Do you use torrent's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Torrents are not a method by which you can measure your download speed as the data stream is inconsistent anyway, best is to download an ISO from here for 10mins or so and then see what speed is reported.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Thank's MC tried your link and same as torrent's hit's 500 plus for a minute or so then drop's to 330.Reckon some sort of restriction on downloading:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Nova say they don't throttle downloads but I wouldn't be surprised TBH. Doesn't really affect me loads though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

The same thing happens to me, and I'm off the Carrigaline broadcast. I don't think they throttle the speed, I think it's just the quality of the connection degrades once it goes out past the speed test which would be hosted fairly close to us. I'd say ask in the broadband forum to see if that's the story though. And if you can pass on any info you get to me as well, I'd appreciate it, would love to hit 500kbps.

I do think Nova are great though. The connection drops for an hour or so once every two weeks, but when the big problems occur, they usually have it sorted within a day. The wire to the wireless receiver on our roof got damaged this week, with water coming down the cable to the power box and it blew. We called at 12.30, they had someone out to us the next day to sort it. If it had been Eircom it'd take them a week to know what's wrong and another few weeks to get someone out to fix it. Also, three days before Christmas our old power box broke. I hadn't a clue what was wrong, but when I rang up Dave had it figured in minutes. Then, the day before Christmas Eve he went out of his way, after they had closed to drop off the new box to us. If that had been anyone but a small company they would have left us without internet until well after Christmas.

I think they're great, and well worth the price. And my parents who pay the bill like the added fact that they're supporting a small local business.

Advertisement