Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twice the fun or Double Trouble ????

Options
  • 01-02-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

When we got married by husband wanted a dog as he had grown up always having one. I had never had one and didn't know what to expect but it has turned out to be the best thing ever and I'm mad about our little westie who recently turned 1 :). We have had him since he was 12 weeks old. My husband is now talking about another dog to keep number one company as he just loves meeting other dogs and playing with them.

Many question is does getting a second dog change things alot. Maybe its a silly question but is there a big difference between have one dog and having two? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

We got our second Westie when our first one was 12 years two years ago. At the end i have to say, we missed so much the years before. Its great to having two dogs instead of only one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Two dogs are definately twice the fun! Having a second dog will take a bit of extra work at the start, establishing rules for the new one, sometimes the orgional one starts being bold to get attention, but this doesnt last. Then you have 2 dogs who are happy to play together the minute you want to watch something on the telly and then pass out together in bed the minute you're program is over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Twice the fun or Double Trouble ????

To be perfectly honest, it's both

The dogs certainly have twice the fun and because they do, you do too.

But besides the mundane things like feeding, brushing and looking after twice as many dogs now, you will also have to be prepared for an increase on the nuisance side of things.

Dogs are incredibly talented in picking up and amplifying each others' bad habits. Put a quiet dog and a yapper together and you will not get two quiet dogs, but two yappers. Have one with good recall and one with bad recall and chances are they'll both disappear ...etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi

it depends on the dogs. i had one dog a male and i got a neutered female to keep him company. i got her from a rescue centre. she was 3 yrs old, neutered, housetrained and to be honest is a far more obedient dog than my own! they get on great and are great company. i would def say two dogs that get on and are not high maintenance (grooming etc) are better than one. i went to see quite a few rescue dogs and when you meet the dog that is for you - you will know it. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have an 18month old male and a 8 month old female(recently spayed).
    The older dog was very upset when left alone, although he never did any damage (except from licking the varnish off the saddleboard in the kitchen:confused:) and was quiet, he licked and drooled all over the doors. It was clearly upsetting him being left alone.
    So I decided to get another dog to keep him company, it was the best thing ever. They are perfectly happy being left alone for a few hours, and love to play together. They share food, toys and sticks when walking(did you ever see two dogs carrying one stick between them?:D) Today I went out for an hour and when I came back they were wrestling on the floor, as I opened the door they looked around, then carried on! I had to call them to say hello.:rolleyes:
    The older guy is much happier now, but one thing I should have done from the start is get her used to being without him, he's fine if she's gone somewhere, but she gets very upset if he goes somewhere. Small prob, and we're working on it.
    There is twice the grooming(both very hairy)and twice the washing, beds bowls, etc. But definitely worth it. Its the same amount of walking, but they tire each other out much quicker.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Two is definitely better that one! They pick up each other bad habits and can drive you mad at times but it's all well worth it. They keep each other company and become best buds in no time (after the squabbles and stress on both ends of the lead!). Some dogs do get quite stressed and upset about another dog entering their home but they tend to warm to the newcomer pretty soon. I am so glad we decided to expand our dog family size, I just got carried away and forgot to stop! :rolleyes:

Personally, I found the 2 to 3 increase the hardest - no idea why. After 4, you're flying! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Personally, I found the 2 to 3 increase the hardest - no idea why. After 4, you're flying! ;)

Yeah, that's so true! Mind you, I think after 4 your mind just goes a bit funny, you head down the crazy dog lady/lad route! Speaking as someone with 6 dogs... well down the crazy route!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

have to agree with all above comments. 2 (or in my case, 3 :) ) is definitely better! I could never have just one dog again and would even love to get another lol
    Like mymo said though, seperating them can be an issue. Today for example my oh was washing the 2 little ones inside (that time of year) and the big lad was on his own out the back going mad cos the other 2 werent with him. He's the youngest and has never been on his own (always with us or the little 'uns) so he hates being on his tod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Multiple dogs definately gets my thumbs up, just be prepared for the extra vet / feeding bills etc. and extra work but by far in my experience one dogs is better than two. Also be prepared to have eyes in the back of your head, it is harder to keep an eye on two dogs than one especially when out walking so if you do end up with two dogs make sure you put alot of effort into training as it will be doubly important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

thats what I have been wondering for a while now! we are going to get another one but just looking out for the right dog on the rescue sites.

I know it will be more work but will be worth it. once they settle in together it will be all good.

best of luck! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Only trouble with two dogs is it means twice the vet's bills, insurance and kennel fees. Apart from that it means double the fun. Definitely the change from 2 to 3 is the hardest - I think it's because only having one pair of hands I'm forced to stroke No. 1 with my foot when said hands are stroking Nos. 2 and 3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

thank you all so much for your replies. To be honest I'm thrilled at the results of your comments because company for number one is our main concern. Currently he spents his energy chasing trucks across the garden as they pass! not very safe hobby (he is inside the wall and safe but i worry if he ever got out :() a friend would be ideal.

Thannk you all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

happypuppy wrote: »
    thank you all so much for your replies. To be honest I'm thrilled at the results of your comments because company for number one is our main concern. Currently he spents his energy chasing trucks across the garden as they pass! not very safe hobby (he is inside the wall and safe but i worry if he ever got out :() a friend would be ideal.

Thannk you all

The only thing to watch out for is that No. 2 will be led by No. 1 so you'll have both chasing trucks across the garden. A companion won't distract them...instead of 1 dog barking when the postman calls there's now three warning me of the arrival of bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

ha ha no such luck that the good behaviour will rub off!!! Will be doing alot of work with him before a new one will come in but its worth it for him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I got two puppies myself. I have an almost 5 month old Cavalier King Charles which is a wonderful little girl and I have a 17 week old Border Collie. I got the Cavalier 5 five weeks before the Border collie and she didnt like him coming into her house for about two weeks but now they are best friends. As someone else said you will need eyes everywhere with two when they are together because even though one can do some damage they are worse when they are together.

As for the walking I suggest you bring the new dog along for a few walks alone until its used to you and is good on the lead and then try walking both of them together. Thats how I done it myself. I first got both dogs used to walking with me on the lead alone for a few weeks and then today for the first time I walked both together. They both were great on the lead even when I passed cars , other people and other dogs there was no trouble.

Now I am hoping that my Border collie grows out of the digging (he has one spot that he digs all the time) other than that he is a very non destructive and obediant puppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Getting a second dog was probably one of the best decisions we made anyway.

Ask me again in a few months about the third :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

i thought it wud be twice the fun but tis also twice the sh*te twice the food twice the vet bills and twice the trouble. but def worth it!!!

Advertisement