Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing a wooden table in a garden shed

Options
  • 01-02-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

I am moving into a rental house, and do not need the kitchen table. Is it ok to store the table in the shed, is it likely to warp or rot? I don't know what type of wood it is.

Also, the dryer is out in the shed, not sure if that is a help or not.

Thanks,
    Angelica.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hi,

I am moving into a rental house, and do not need the kitchen table. Is it ok to store the table in the shed, is it likely to warp or rot? I don't know what type of wood it is.

Also, the dryer is out in the shed, not sure if that is a help or not.

Thanks,
    Angelica.

Hi Angelica,

It all depends really, I assume there is no heating in the shed so it can get pretty cold, that in itself you cant really help. Once the shed isnt damp or leaking anywhere (ie onto the table) it should be ok-ish, of course you may have some issues when and if the table is brough back into a warm environment as the timbers begin to shrink a little and release the moisture that they collected while in the cool environment, so you may see some gaps appear betwen joints. Putting the table up on something, anything just to lift it up off the ground a little to stop any damp which may be in the florr from travelling up through the legs.

As for the drier, well once it has an escape for the steam outside it should be ok, ie, if the shed is steaming up indoors and everything is getting damp then this may affect the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭mossie110

but the spiders are having a great time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Hi Angelica,

It all depends really, I assume there is no heating in the shed so it can get pretty cold, that in itself you cant really help. Once the shed isnt damp or leaking anywhere (ie onto the table) it should be ok-ish, of course you may have some issues when and if the table is brough back into a warm environment as the timbers begin to shrink a little and release the moisture that they collected while in the cool environment, so you may see some gaps appear betwen joints. Putting the table up on something, anything just to lift it up off the ground a little to stop any damp which may be in the florr from travelling up through the legs.

As for the drier, well once it has an escape for the steam outside it should be ok, ie, if the shed is steaming up indoors and everything is getting damp then this may affect the table.

If I had to put a table into a shed for a few months I'd be inclined to remove the table top because new tables tend to be badly built (generally speaking shrinkage plates aren't used anymore).

Advertisement