Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a brother out (re: My website - todayilold.com)

Options
  • 01-02-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

Story?

Okay so I've asked for mod permission to do this thread, so hopefully there shouldn't be any problems.

Basically I own a website - www.todayilold.com - where visitors submit stories about funny things that made them "lol". I started the site about 6 months ago, but for the past two months, I've neglected it. I'm now looking to start running and promoting it again, and need all the help I can get.

Some of the best stories can be seen on this page.

Everyone on this forum seems so nice and enthusiastic (not to mention handsome/pretty and totally brilliant in every way and I bet your parents are proud) so I thought maybe some of you could help me out.

You could help by submitting any funny stories you have, or joining up as a member. Perhaps follow the twitter, or join the facebook fanpage and possibly inviting other people to join also.

Honestly, every little helps. Telling friends, putting the link as your msn tagline, or in your signature on forums (see below for one I did earlier). If anyone uses stumbleupon, it's incredibly helpful to stumble the site (and the subpages such as the "top stories" or even individual stories). Stumbleupon was my biggest source of traffic when the site was doing well, not so long ago.

Any other sites like Digg etc are helpful too.

I'm thinking of doing a competition where whoever submits the most popular story of the month gets a prize. The problem there is that I need a sponsor for the prize (christ knows I haven't the money to pay for one myself). So if anyone has any ideas of who I should be asking for that, feel free to let me know.

Oh and if anyone has other suggestions for promoting it, do let me know.

I understand this thread is a bit selfish and self-absorbed, but I do reckon most people will enjoy the site, and it's nice to be nice.

Reasons you should help me:
    I run a nice little blog (link in sig) that you may enjoy.
    I treat my Mother well.
    I've never been to prison.
    I gave some money to a homeless man last week.
    I would have voted for Obama if I was American. All the good guys like Obama, so I must be a good guy.
    Girls, I'm a fantastic lover.
    Lads, I'm a great wingman.
    I've nearly completed the internetz.
    I can tell the difference between Butter and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.
    I can has cheezburger?

Thanks for reading and do reply, I'm grateful for anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I lold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Today I found out that the owner of todayilold.com is on C&H. I lol'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I don't understand how it's not more popular. It's loltastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

The Walsho wrote: »

You could help by submitting any funny stories you have, or joining up as a member. Perhaps follow the twitter, or join the facebook fanpage and possibly inviting other people to join also.

Done and done.

Love the concept - glad the site's getting back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,973 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I started a thread in www.lolocaust.org about this. Hopefully it'll help traffic a bit too.

Nice site btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

without meaning to insult or divert attention from your site, what makes it different from mylifeisaverage and sites of its ilk? I'm gonna go ahead and guess, but I'd like your response too =)

At least yours is honest, mlia is all about the laughs, if it was all average it would be all boring...

I like the categories, good idea. What I think would be very cool (but possible more work than you can afford to do) would be if the site gradually filtered results based on your preferences. Everyone has their own sense of humour, but a lot of people have similar senses of humour. If I click 'not lol' on several entries that someone else also clicked 'not lol' for, wouldn't it be cool if other entries they didn't lol at were not displayed?

Just an idea though, possibly beyond the scope of the site and possibly not even much demand for it.

Oh, and well done on the work so far =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Today I found out that the owner of todayilold.com is on C&H. I lol'd.

Does this mean you'd seen the site before, but didn't know I owned it? If so, I'm proud.
    Jay P wrote: »
    I don't understand how it's not more popular. It's loltastic!

Thanks. It probably isn't more popular because I've been fairly lazy with promoting it, and as I mentioned, neglected it completely for about two months there.
    Hotaru wrote: »
    Done and done.

Love the concept - glad the site's getting back on track.

Merci. Really appreciate you joining and inviting friends to the facebook group.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    I started a thread in www.lolocaust.org about this. Hopefully it'll help traffic a bit too.

Nice site btw.

Excellent, thanks a million!
    cocoa wrote: »
    without meaning to insult or divert attention from your site, what makes it different from mylifeisaverage and sites of its ilk? I'm gonna go ahead and guess, but I'd like your response too =)

At least yours is honest, mlia is all about the laughs, if it was all average it would be all boring...

I like the categories, good idea. What I think would be very cool (but possible more work than you can afford to do) would be if the site gradually filtered results based on your preferences. Everyone has their own sense of humour, but a lot of people have similar senses of humour. If I click 'not lol' on several entries that someone else also clicked 'not lol' for, wouldn't it be cool if other entries they didn't lol at were not displayed?

Just an idea though, possibly beyond the scope of the site and possibly not even much demand for it.

Oh, and well done on the work so far =)

Well, when I first started it, I only really knew about FML, which is all negative. I guess my site is just that bit more general than the others. Often stories are funny things google suggested, or stuff like that. Would that fit into many other sites? I don't really go on MLIA, so don't know it too well.

Your suggestion is very very good. But yes it'd be very tough for me to do right now. Certainly something to bear in mind for the future though.

Thanks to everyone for the responses and anything you've done to help. I genuinely really appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Does this mean you'd seen the site before, but didn't know I owned it? If so, I'm proud.

Yes, long ago, back when it was fairly active and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Have been checking it for a few months now, didn't know it was owned by an Irish person. I feel slightly disgusted now.

But I did lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Added to sig. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Is this like the site my life is average?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I can tell the difference between Butter and I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

I've spent many a sleepless night pondering what might the difference be. What is the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Brillant website, glad to see it's back added you on facebook :)

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Yes, long ago, back when it was fairly active and stuff.

Nice.
    phlegms wrote: »
    Have been checking it for a few months now, didn't know it was owned by an Irish person. I feel slightly disgusted now.

But I did lol.

I'm glad.
    Jako8 wrote: »
    Added to sig. :cool:

Thanks a million!
    M&S* wrote: »
    Is this like the site my life is average?

Similar enough. Except I don't own that one, so fúck 'em.
    Monzo wrote: »
    I've spent many a sleepless night pondering what might the difference be. What is the difference?

I don't think you're ready to know that yet Monzo. Instead of thinking about it in bed, try some field research.
    Brillant website, glad to see it's back added you on facebook :)

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Maybe try making your sig a bit bigger, put in a picture or something the way Quazzie has for lolocaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Good site, some of the stuff is really funny! Doesn't show up terribly well in Opera though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Isnt it like a rip-off design of http://www.givesmehope.com/ ?

Jay P wrote: »
    Maybe try making your sig a bit bigger, put in a picture or something the way Quazzie has for lolocaust.

Good thinking, thanks!
    syncosised wrote: »
    Good site, some of the stuff is really funny! Doesn't show up terribly well in Opera though. :(

Glad you like it. Shame it's not working well in Opera, I should look into that.
    Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Isnt it like a rip-off design of http://www.givesmehope.com/ ?

Nah, we're just using the same script (all above board, don't worry). I probably should work on changing the design slightly so it's more distinctive though.

Advertisement