Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East End Hotel

Options
  • 01-02-2010 1:50pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

It's open again and under new management. I was in for dinner there last week and have to say I was impressed. The staff and really nice and are doing there best to make a go of the place.

Here is wishing them every success as it will be great for employment and bring a bit more life to the town. It was terrible seeing the place abandoned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just curious if you know who is managing this Hotel now?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Staff maybe nice but what are the customers like.......................

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Staff maybe nice but what are the customers like.......................

They haven't all turned up yet. :D This place has been closed for the last few months. The new management are facing an uphill battle trying to get customers in the door. And trying to find the right people is even tougher.

Personally I'd like to see an improved East End Hotel for Portarlington but thats not going to happen unless the people of the town are behind it. It would be great to have another place to eat and some additionnal accomodation for when friends visit town.

It was the manager himself (Jody) I got talking to on the street one day. He made a good impression on me and off i went to check the place out. We only ever hear the bad stuff about this place, I had a good experience and decided to share in the hope that others might find the same and Portarlington can have a decent hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Good to hear. I'll check it out in the next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

ditto, I'd like to see it do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

kikel wrote: »
    They haven't all turned up yet.

I think the person stabbed on Stephen's Night would beg to differ with that....

I don't think its fair to apportion blame on the Management of the Hotel for what was a dreadful incident on st Stephen's night. I was not aware of this incident, i joined this thread to find out who was now managing the Hotel. I am a former manager of a Hotel in Meath and developed a very successful, well managed nightclub. I am sorry to say but despite the best efforts of my nightclub and security team, there is always a small nasty element attending night clubs whose behavior is shocking beyond belief. Sadly most trouble, particularly the type of incident you mentioned happens either outside clubs or way beyond closure. Any incidents i assisted the Gardai with through CCTV footage usually occurred 100's of yards beyond the club i managed and is most cases not even on the same street. And before those do gooders lecture about alcohol and its service, whilst i speak for my experience, no one was permitted entrance drunk and we had strict controls on service of alcohol beyond what was acceptable limits (no in fact law)

Where was the management blamed for anything that happened?!

Perhaps i miss read your Post about the stabbing incident but this thread commenced about the fact the East End had re opened, the general consensus is most contributors seemed to be supportive, whilst others discussed the Hotels historical difficulties, namely poor local support. It seemed to me your comment about the person who was stabbed not agreeing to the Hotels success or other wise suggested this incident was some how linked to the Hotels club or its reopening. My response was as a Former manager of a night club who witnessed some shocking incidents despite the very best management systems in place. Sadly all to often Hotels and Night clubs are held responsible for peoples quite bizarre behavior in the late hours which sadly leads to violent assaults or accidents. I apologize if i miss read your post.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Perhaps i miss read your Post about the stabbing incident but this thread commenced about the fact the East End had re opened, the general consensus is most contributors seemed to be supportive, whilst others discussed the Hotels historical difficulties, namely poor local support. It seemed to me your comment about the person who was stabbed not agreeing to the Hotels success or other wise suggested this incident was some how linked to the Hotels club or its reopening. My response was as a Former manager of a night club who witnessed some shocking incidents despite the very best management systems in place. Sadly all to often Hotels and Night clubs are held responsible for peoples quite bizarre behavior in the late hours which sadly leads to violent assaults or accidents. I apologize if i miss read your post.

Poor local support, 2 of my in laws got married there over the years. The fact is that the place went to the dogs.

The food was disgusting, the drink was pee and the customers weren't the sort i would share a drink with.

Having worked in the night club industry for 15 years i can tell you that in a small town if you don't work to keep noise down and make your customers behave themselves as they leave then the locals want nothing to do with you. Remember when there in your car park and outside your door you are still on your property you still have a duty of care towards them. The attitude is once you are outside the door they don't give a rats ass.

And as a night club it was a dump as well..........white walls FFS, its either a night club or a fuction room. The days of them being both are long gone. You can't have people from a funeral in the same room as a night club.

Oh and that person wasn't stabbed outside the hotel and if it is a garda matter it shoulded be discussed on this forum.

Oh and Dempo1 you are right not to let in drunks as they cause your security trouble, but when they leave drunk..........sure thats someone elses problem;)

• Advertisement

Well it looks like the place is already condemed. I feel it's a poor attitude to judge the place on past experiences. If it doesn't get support from more desireables it is set to fail and people will be here in 10 years complaining about the place.

kikel wrote: »
    Well it looks like the place is already condemed. I feel it's a poor attitude to judge the place on past experiences. If it doesn't get support from more desireables it is set to fail and people will be here in 10 years complaining about the place.

They are having Aslan as entertainment............if that isn't trying to attract the wrong crowd then what is ?????

I won't complain because i won't go...............

I have friend and family stay there in the past and EVERY one of them hated the place. It would take an amazing jump to ever get any of them to stay there again. At the moment there are 4 places in town i like to eat to the chances of having no where else to go and ending up there are very slim.......

Add to that that i don't go out drinking very often and when i do i like certain pubs and the bar there wouldn't be one of them either.

Sorry but to deserve business you have to have something to offer, to me the hotel has nothing.

Elvis Jones, you seem to have a major gripe with this Hotel, i see you seemed to have had a very bad experience of this place. My point and it would seem others is that new management should be given a chance. I don't know the place at all but i did work at the Heritage. My points are that we can not blame Venues for the disgraceful behavior of a few who at bent on destruction and trouble. I was using my experience of managing clubs and hotels to explain there are many quality establishments out there that do take their responsibilities seriously, in particular it has been my experience that trouble appears to commence way beyond the venues car park and indeed not even on the same street. Its easy to blame venues for permitting people to get drunk however drink is no excuse for some of the behavior i have witnessed and indeed features in the news weekly. The stabbing incident was brought onto this forum from a contributor who seems to blame the venue for this incident, i don't recall Knives being on my list of priorities when i got ready to go clubing.

Bottom line here, seems to be this Venue is completely condemned, particularly from a local perspective. I can say that given this, the hotel aspect of this venture, like may other small hotels currently are experiencing serious problems and it would be my opinion the club is probably its only source of income. All this said, as a Hotel Manager, there is no excuse for bad standards, either at hotel level or club, all i do wish to point out is that new management deserves a chance. I only joined this forum to find out who was now managing it, i had not anticipated such venom leveled at the Hotel. Whilst based in Laois, i don't know much about the place, just a pity it has attracted such negativity.

Dempo, i'm not from Laois either. I've just lived in the area for 5 years.

Stabbing didn't involve a knife BTW.

But i do agree that a lot of rural venues use the club as revenue but they have to remember the more messing and rubbish outside there and after the night club the worse press it will get. I am normally the sober one around town at 2 or 3 am on my way home from work and sees what goes on.

I personally have had no bad experience, i was in the night club once and said never again. Having worked myself in clubs all over the country it was a complete joke to even call it a night club.

I stand by my comment that bringing Aslan as entertainment isn't a great ad if you want to relaunch the hotel and aim to chance type of customer you are going for.

Hi Elvis Jones, Yes agreed about Aslan, they were actually a resident band where i worked many years, what a shower they attract, funny thing, they were due to play at a venue in Meath last year, had to be canceled with only 40 tickets sold. I wondered how is this place affording this band, they charge over €6,000 WHICH IS MAD.

I do agree with your general sentiments, local opinion is critical. I rescued two venues over the past five years, one in particular had major problems with local perceptions, none of which were fair. I put up with enormous abuse during the redevelopment stage and yes had to be choosing with clientèle, essentially i took over a community Centre. After many months of determination, improvement on food and accommodation and a complete relaunch and renaming of the venues club, the hard work paid off. Unfortunately it may be the case the East end has not recovered from the past, the actual owners (Not tenants) as seems to be the case, are not prepared to suffer a loss until the damage from the past is rectified.

I speak from an industry perspective which to be honest is in ****e at the moment, not perhaps helped by nasty venues built during the property boom and run by people who know nothing about customers service, standards and it would seem in this case, management of night clubs. I do not predict a bright future for this Venue unless they make a decision to stop, think and re appraise their business model and that includes getting the local community on Board.

The stabbing incident was brought onto this forum from a contributor who seems to blame the venue for this incident

Tell me where I blamed the venue for it?! I made a remark on kikel's post that the general scum that frequent the place hadn't turned up.

You seem adamant that it's all to do with the venue that the place won't change but the fact of the matter is the people of Port in general are sick of the place, it just attracts trouble and that's not going to change anytime soon!! There's a stigma about the place, and people just don't want to see it in operation!

I apologies sincerely, i think our wires are crossed because of the threads sequence. I completely misunderstood your posting. I was following general threads about the new management of this place, and the sequence of postings following on from my initial inquiry about who was managing this place now seems to have led to quite a lot of negativity. I came across your post which seemed to follow on from some contributers either wishing this venue well or those who had a negative feel for the place, i only wished to state it only fair the new management be given a chance and its led to quite heated debate. It seems this venue has indeed failed and in particular taken the wrong path to re invent itself. I take on board you were not blaming the venue, i red your posting wrong to please accept my apologies. I have not been to the venue and by all accounts that seems to be a good thing. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 1891hotel port

kmart6 wrote: »
    I think the person stabbed on Stephen's Night would beg to differ with that....
    there was no incident on stephen nite in the hotel this incident took place
    on lower main street port you can check this out with the guards of port pat kilroy as i did

Its amazing how an incident question trying to find out who was now managing this Hotel grew its own legs. I like other contributors had wished the Hotel well, others had mixed and sometimes negative views on this hotel, mostly it would appear historical. The unfortunate incident you mentioned came into the discussion and my opinion "from management experience" is that sadly such incidents occasionally happen way beyond the venue, i also made the valid point that no matter how professionally run a venue is, there will always be a small element bent on violence and destruction, drink being no excuse for such behavior. Other contributors will argue venues serve the alcohol or indeed the mere presence of a club creates the issues raised. My wish is to explain there are many venues, very professionally run and of course others that are not. Whilst i am glad to here the stabbing did not take place at the venue, i am sad it took place at all and sadly by inference as proved in this debate, the Hotel is some how associated with the event. If you read back on the thread you will get a better sense of my arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Is the "Hotel" still owned by the Monaghan brothers?

• Advertisement

there was no incident on stephen nite in the hotel this incident took place
    on lower main street port you can check this out with the guards of port pat kilroy as i did
    And the people involved where had they frequented that night?!.....the hotel! The reputation is going to be very hard to shake off when incidents like that arised from the place!

If your on here to try and defend the place....maybe you should start looking at who your letting in there in the first place and the place wouldn't be dispised around the town!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 arch_survey

First time post.....so go easy!

The Hotel might still be owned by the Monaghan brothers, but the talk of the town is that a daughter of a well known resident in Portlaoise, staying there on behalf of the Irish Government, who also once had interests in bloodstock in County Meath, has taken over the lease!

Until this has been proven otherwise the likes of my folks or their friends won't be putting a foot inside the door!

Very cryptic about who the possible tenant is, I don't know the Monaghan Brothers are, i once thought Texas tom owned it and that infamous Auctioneer / Councilor from Tullamore had an interest at one time. Bottom line, no tenant is going to make this place work it would seem, given the negativity surrounding the place.

Check your PM for the answer!

Bottom line, no tenant is going to make this place work it would seem, given the negativity surrounding the place.

Unfortunetly it seems thats the way the town thinks. The locals should really get behind the hotel and want for something better rather than saying it was bad before so it will be bad again.

If you don't try you will never succeed.

But for it to succedd the Hotel has to try! It has to change it's ways, it has to stop letting known trouble makers in.....there other things that could be said but shouldn't to protect boards.ie!!!

But for it to succedd the Hotel has to try! It has to change it's ways, it has to stop letting known trouble makers in.....there other things that could be said but shouldn't to protect boards.ie!!!

Granted the hotel has to try and thats what my first post was all about. The new management are trying. I was trying to encourage people to support them and with the local support of the right minded people they can then pick and choose who they allow on there premises.

I would really encourage people the let what happened in the past remain in the past. Lets move on and help the new management create a hotel that the town could be proud of.

It seems that someone from the hotel is watching this. They have now heard a large variety of opinions about what happened in the past but i presume that they are now looking to the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

any business can succeed given the correct managment and spin to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

and the place wouldn't be dispised around the town!!!

i know people that have good things to say about it.

your being a bit dramatic there now. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Seems there is mixed opinion about the place but given my experience of Local Hostility towards certain venues, i fear this place is doomed to failure no matter who is managing. Sometimes new management can succeed, however given this place is on a lease, enormous resources and time are required to turn it around. Tenants unfortunately rarely have such resources with rent and bills to pay, made worse by the current economic climate. Just as a test, i checked out this hotels current accommodation rates and they are currently running at a loss. Any hotel thinking they can make up in the Bar or restaurant are sadly misguided, evidence being the amount of hotels closing right now. It would seem on further research they was major issues with a former tenant, non payment of wages, suppliers etc. Sadly and despite the new tenants efforts, is something which is very, very difficult to over come. It seems their night club "as bad is it appears to be", is its only real source of income but again if they are not getting a minimum of 250 covers at the normal admittance fee, their at a loss with exemption fees of over €500 per night, security much the same or more, DJ up to €300 per night, usually less and staff, running costs. Despite what people might think, running a club is an extremely expensive undertaking (I know, i wore the T Shirt). Does anyone know what the food is like, after all these posts, i am tempted to visit this venue.

Advertisement