Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East End Hotel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭chillmad

kmart6 wrote: »
    Mahons?
    Who are mahons? thats the 2nd time they've been mentioned!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I was asking Dempo since he said he was goin there! Thinking he might have meant McMahons

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭chillmad

sorry got ya! i butted in!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi Chillmad, like you I've been in the Business far too long, i do think there is a real issue with the back of this hotel and it does not form part of the lease agreement, we are still waiting confirmation of this from the new tenants who occasionally contribute snide remarks which certainly does not help their cause

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

well kmart6, sorry probably meant MC Mahons, the hardware place, excellent by the way, i used them over the years renovating a cottage in the slieve bloom mountains, really fantastic store and team there, to be honest its the only reason i visit port, although i had dealings with the heritage a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Ah yeah was thinkng! Noticed you said you had worked there alright....in what capacity?!

kmart6, PM in your mailbox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

running a nite club is expensive but not to the extent as you quoted
    djs dont get the colour of 300 door staff start at 11 finish at 3 hourley
    rate exemption are 410 we now branded the nite club (scarlets)top acts appearing each month ,are chef ron smith is producing good food with value for money

Really, i beg to differ. You get what you pay for.

LOL, exactly my point, Monkeys, peanuts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

will you be showing soccer matches in the hotel bar,if so i'll force my stomach ulcer to a few pints

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 1891hotel port

Yes we will be showing all games that are live on Sky Sports, Setanta Sports and BBC.
    So that would cover almost them all.
    Ye do, drop in for a pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 IrishRover2010

I went to Portarlington last weekend for a friends 30th Birthday Party. After i did my research i found that there was few very options for places to stay. I started google'n and came across this conversation. Needless to say i didnt like the sound of the East End Hotel after reading this. As the hotel was in the centre of the town it was the handiest for accomodation so i booked a few rooms for me and my friends for the night. I was there about 10mins when i realised all the bad feedback on this is rubbish. The staff were quite possibly the nicest people i ever met and made my stay a pleasure and the food was excellent. On arrival i was given a tour of the new niteclub. It looked really nice and modern with a real frsh feel to it. After we left the 30th birthday party that night (around 12:30 or so) we went straight for the new nightclub. What a night. The place was packed, the music was great, and the atmosphere was brilliant. I will defo be going back and will highly recommend both hotel & niteclub.
    As far all the people who are bad mouthing and trying to stir sh*t when there is no need to, GET A LIFE.
    ELVIS JONES, ur public profile says you live in Portarlington? Why dont you get up and go down see the place for yourself? Or are your hands stuck to your keyboard? If so, you shouldnt be at that stuff, you'll go blind. The whole country could do without people like you in a time like this. Fair play to anyone who try's to start to run a buisness in these times, and as for people who start one, build it up, and make it succseful, they deserve a big pat on the back. After being in the place, and then reading all your comments anyone would think you are Jelous? Why dont you just go down and see the place, u live in the town like? "DRY YOUR EYES MATE" and go check the place out
    DEMPO1, your another one who seems to have these negative vibes. You should go check the place out, you will be pleasently suprized.

Fair play to everyone who joined since the place was re-opened and left the truthful feedback about their expeirence there. Thats what the whole country needs in times like this.

I went to Portarlington last weekend for a friends 30th Birthday Party. After i did my research i found that there was few very options for places to stay. I started google'n and came across this conversation. Needless to say i didnt like the sound of the East End Hotel after reading this. As the hotel was in the centre of the town it was the handiest for accommodation so i booked a few rooms for me and my friends for the night. I was there about 10mins when i realized all the bad feedback on this is rubbish. The staff were quite possibly the nicest people i ever met and made my stay a pleasure and the food was excellent. On arrival i was given a tour of the new nightclub. It looked really nice and modern with a real frsh feel to it. After we left the 30th birthday party that night (around 12:30 or so) we went straight for the new nightclub. What a night. The place was packed, the music was great, and the atmosphere was brilliant. I will defo be going back and will highly recommend both hotel & niteclub.
    As far all the people who are bad mouthing and trying to stir sh*t when there is no need to, GET A LIFE.
    ELVIS JONES, ur public profile says you live in Portarlington? Why dont you get up and go down see the place for yourself? Or are your hands stuck to your keyboard? If so, you shouldnt be at that stuff, you'll go blind. The whole country could do without people like you in a time like this. Fair play to anyone who try's to start to run a buisness in these times, and as for people who start one, build it up, and make it succseful, they deserve a big pat on the back. After being in the place, and then reading all your comments anyone would think you are Jelous? Why dont you just go down and see the place, u live in the town like? "DRY YOUR EYES MATE" and go check the place out
    DEMPO1, your another one who seems to have these negative vibes. You should go check the place out, you will be pleasently suprized.

Fair play to everyone who joined since the place was re-opened and left the truthful feedback about their expeirence there. Thats what the whole country needs in times like this.

What type of tulip are you? Firstly you state naively that your searched the INTERNET looking for info on this place to stay in Port, well firstly this Hotels site is down and in fact has not been accessible for quite some time, another alternative is trip adviser and the reviews are hardly inspiring, thirdly if you know the business (as i do) this Hotel rates Zero unless your a stag or hens party. Normally anyone intending to stay at a hotel goggle searches for information on the facilities, rates etc, not search for comments on Boards.ie so i assume your motivations for posting are quite suspect. Rest assured there are ample quality establishments in the area to stay

You then lecture another poster on their quite justified opinions on an establishment that clearly had a colorful past, your obviously not from the area, point being locals have every right to be skeptical and perhaps if you new the full tragic history of this place you might be more open minded.

Finally, if you took the time to look at my posts, i joined this discussion more out of curiosity and being in the business, i have had an objective opinion on this place, in fact wishing it well. I did get annoyed when the new TENANTS, decided to join the discussion lecturing about how they intend to succeed and berating those who have concerns, opinions or criticisms etc about an establishment that had been in the toilet, hardly the way to enamor yourself to the community, interestingly this poster has gone all quite.

Then of course there are those who have an association with this place and i suspect your such one who give far from objective opinions.

Bottom line, i do wish this place well but having visited it recently I was less than inspired and as for the excellent food? Come now, glorified bar food, whilst not from Port i am living in Laois and won't be making another trip there soon. I should point out the Night Club is just silly and embarrassing and taking ideas from other venues is just cheap and nasty with no creativity, although i should be flattered scarlets has used a number of ideas i infact developed in another well established club, whats that they say about copying is the best form of flattery, this said you have to have the systems, design & lighting in place, this venue sadly does not and i doubt ever will without real investment its essentially a large karoke hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Dempo1..........that clown is spamming, 3 posts all the same on different threads about the hotel;)

Dempo1..........that clown is spamming, 3 posts all the same on different threads about the hotel;)

Got in late from a busy few days at work and saw that buffoons post, just had to let off some steam!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Great the way there are now 3 threads simultaneously running about the hotel, I doubt they'd ever had as much publicity!

As for the venue itself, was back in it last Saturday night, the first visit in approx 2 years. I see they've reverted to the layout that existed when I first started going to the Hotel as a teen - and this is pretty much the only change apart from the new paint and light fittings.

I thought the bar was poorly stocked, no Tequila and a shortage of Jeigermeister. Shots were handed out in tall glasses, which suggests poor bar staff training or a shortage of shot glasses. The staff seemed a bit nervous and uncomfortable, as if that Saturday was their collective 1st day on the job.

I worked for the EE Hotel for about 6 months back in 2003/4, having previously worked in the Bridge House and a couple of other pubs around Port. In my time at the EE, the proprietor always had the staff on edge, and no one was allowed get comfortable (not lazy, comfortable) in their role. This feeling was very evident to customers and I'm convinced that it hit the potential success of the business.

I've a feeling that the new manager/owner is running a similar ship, which will only lead one way.

Christie May and his management team in the BH were great, allowing a bit of freedom, encouraging staff to have fun whilst working, develop customer relationships etc.

I will give fair dues to the EE for trying new things i.e. Comedy show next week with Joe Rooney/Paddy Courtney. I do hope this goes well and that you'll see a bit more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Been there 3 times since opening,think its far better than before.Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Sunny86

Been there 3 times since opening,think its far better than before.Good luck.

The 3 times also, is vast improvement, no signs of trouble, place feels alot warmer and more like a night club, and bouncers are sound, really enjoyed not been rushed out the door the minute it finsihed was able to finish my drink and talk to my friends before we left. Will def be attending alot more times over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Gareth28

What everyone seems to be forgetting, and i can only imagine its because they don't live so close to the hotel as me, is the NOISE LEVEL.

On that argument alone, the "management" at the hotel should be ashamed of themselves blaring such high level of decibel within such close proximity to residential houses.

There are old folk and young folk, with families and they shouldn't have to put up with that sort of noise level. Its a disgrace!

They have even music during the week now.

I wont give any support or congratulations to hotel management, until this problem is sorted out and i intend to keep my conflict going till its resolved.

If management really cared about improving the image of the hotel, this would have been the first thing they tackled, then continue with gigs etc.

Gareth wrote: »
    What everyone seems to be forgetting, and i can only imagine its because they don't live so close to the hotel as me, is the NOISE LEVEL.

On that argument alone, the "management" at the hotel should be ashamed of themselves blaring such high level of decibel within such close proximity to residential houses.

There are old folk and young folk, with families and they shouldn't have to put up with that sort of noise level. Its a disgrace!

I wont give any support or congratulations to hotel management, until this problem is sorted out and i intend to keep my conflict going till its resolved.

If management really cared about improving the image of the hotel, this would have been the first thing they tackled, then continue with gigs etc.

Gareth, a number of people have brought this issue up and it seems like a genuine concern, I managed nightclubs and hotels and had to adhere to very strict guidelines regarding noise levels etc. I just wondered has the residents association (if one exists) considered discussing this matter with the view to discussing objections and restrictions on noise levels, opening times etc. I have heard the argument about the hotel being there prior to some developments but this does not excuse the hotel from responsibility regarding noise levels etc. One important requirement the hotels Night Club must have is sound proofing and from what i have heard this venues club is essentially a function room with lights and sound system. Seems to me there are ample grounds for this matter to be addressed and an objection to the hotels monthly exemptions is a simple enough process in the district court.

• Advertisement

Dempo,

This particular issue has been going on for years.
    Residents have sat down with Td's and owners of the hotel
    and still... year after year, they forfeit their agreement of keeping the noise level down.

Even if he gets sounds proofing in, the doors are left open at the back for the smokers, so the sound proofing may as well not be there.

Can you tell me the process for applying for the monthly license to be rejected by the district course, because i feel at this stage, enough is enough.

Even the previous owners were not playing music so loud for so many days in the week.

Gareth28 wrote: »
    Dempo,

This particular issue has been going on for years.
    Residents have sat down with Td's and owners of the hotel
    and still... year after year, they forfeit their agreement of keeping the noise level down.

Even if he gets sounds proofing in, the doors are left open at the back for the smokers, so the sound proofing may as well not be there.

Can you tell me the process for applying for the monthly license to be rejected by the district course, because i feel at this stage, enough is enough.

Even the previous owners were not playing music so loud for so many days in the week.

Firstly there are not new owners (JUST TENANTS) so you can be rest assured they will care less about noise levels.

Night Clubs require weekly exemptions, applied for through the local district court, most venues will apply for a month's or two months at a time. Normally the process is handled by the venues solicitor through the local district court. The Gardai and indeed local interest groups can object to exemptions but there would have to be sufficient grounds and certainly protracted breach of noise levels could be a case for objection. The License is a separate matter, handled yearly and granted subject to Fire safety, Tax Clearance certificate and other issues such as electrical cert, CCTV systems etc etc.

I maintained a close working relationship with the Gardai in my most recent location, we ran a professional club, sound proofed, Licensed security and strict admittance policy. In addition i supplied CCTV footage any time the Gardai required same for the (thankfully) rare incidents that may have occurred.

My initial advice is to find out (Possibly through the district court clerk) when the exemptions for this venue are applied for)

Speak firstly to the Local Gardai and advice you are seeking to object to exemptions and the reasons why. (I suspect there must be a record or historical issue with Noise levels at this venue). The Gardai will give some feedback and perhaps agree there may be an issue.

As a residents group, you would have a greater voice and perhaps consider engaging a solicitor to represent the objection.

Further to this there may be also grounds to contact the dept of the environment about serious noise pollution, in all of the above a petition with signatures would be very beneficial.

It is also important to state and exemption only applies for specific nights, in other words each night the venue wishes to open beyond standard closing time, they require an exemption (You mentioned they now have mus ice during the week) Exemptions can cost over €500 inclusive of VAT per night.

As regards to smoking area, leaving doors wide open is a big no no and i suspect another breach here.

Bottom line is, you will need to do some leg work, i am not at all sure this Venue actually has a Dance License (Night Club), From what i saw, its nothing more than a function room. The costs of installing sound proofing and additional measures would be enormous but if a fuss was created your group may achieve some common ground.

As for TD's, well if say a group of residents were taking action, they might get their fingers out, Block votes seem to motivate these charactors, particularly in the current un certain climate. I suspect the presence of a TENANT will end any possible conflicts of interests, i guess when the venue was first built it would have been seen as something brining business and employment to the town.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Hi Chillmad, like you I've been in the Business far too long, i do think there is a real issue with the back of this hotel and it does not form part of the lease agreement, we are still waiting confirmation of this from the new tenants who occasionally contribute snide remarks which certainly does not help their cause
    hi dempo1 we can confrim that the back of the hotel is part of the hotel

hi gareth last thursday was a charity nite in the club they had a band nite to raise money for the tara projects ,the bands were quite loud they were using there own pa system ,last thursday was a one off as we have no intrest in running gigs during the week,before we opened scarlets niteclub we had a noise decibel test ,we then moved the speakers away from the back walls to help this situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 hard rain

I've been in to the hotel a few times recently and would like to wish the new management well. They seemed to be friendly and welcoming and making an effort to generate new business. Don't underestimate the scale of the task for the new team in this premises - there's a bad history attached which should not be held against them. Best of luck lads.
    I also hear that they are to run Coppers in Edenderry - if they think the East End is hard wait until they see what's in store in that joint!

1891hotel port,

We all wish you well in your business and what you are trying to achieve, obviously money/profit to make a living. No harm in that.

Whether you have made the effort of moving the speakers from the back wall is irrelevant, as the noise level is still extremely high/illegal, so you may as well NOT have moved them.

Would you be so kind as too state on this forum the noise decibel level test results that you carried out, then ill post mine and we'll see if they match up!

Thursday was not a once off. You've also had music blaring on bank holidays (Monday) when people are up for work on the Tuesday.

Do you feel this is acceptable? I hardly think so, and if you had to endure what i do, and many others do, every weekend, you would be a little bit more sympathetic and courteous to the situation. Surely you could lower the music down a little and everyone would be happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

anyone who buys a house next to a Hotel and then gives out about the noise coming from the Hotel is a knob. Same as the knobs who bought houses next to Weston airport and then started complaining about planes landing. Anyway, was there last week and the food in the Hotel was very good, i think it's much more important to have an active and successful Hotel and nightclub in the town than yet another moaning Michael.

Codger,

Your use of the English dictionary leaves a lot to be desired and is insulting.

1. Its not an airport, its a hotel. Therefore it must comply with Environmental Protection Agency act of 1994.

2. An airport does not have the option of lowering down the noise of the jets coming and going. You've just put an argument/scenario to me that suggests your not that brightest spark in the world, hence your use of the word "knob".

At the end of the day, the hotel has a obligation to show common courtesy and respect to the community around them, and the music should be lowered.

I've said nothing about the food, the people that work there, the business it provides, i have even wished them well....... We all know if the hotel is continued to be managed well, the lowering of the music will have absolutely no affect on business.

I'm asking for a simple and effective solution, without me dragging this through the district court, were the maximum fine for conviction on breach of noise regulations is €3,000 or 12 months in prison or both.

And i wont be alone either, i have the full backing of a number of residents, who have been dealing with this problem well before i bought my house.
    This has been going on for years.

And Codger..... Moaning can be a good thing, but you wont have the brain capacity to understand that.

Codger,

Your use of the English dictionary leaves a lot to be desired and is insulting.

1. Its not an airport, its a hotel. Therefore it must comply with Environmental Protection Agency act of 1994.

2. An airport does not have the option of lowering down the noise of the jets coming and going. You've just put an argument/scenario to me that suggests your not that brightest spark in the word, hence your use of the word "knob".

At the end of the day, the hotel has a obligation to show common courtesy and respect to the community around them, and the music should be lowered.

I've said nothing about the food, the people that work there, the business it provides, i have even wished them well....... We all know if the hotel is continued to be managed well, the lowering of the music will have absolutely no affect on business.

I'm asking for a simple and effective solution, without me dragging this through the district court, were the maximum fine for conviction on breach of noise regulations is €3,000 or 12 months in prison or both.

And i wont be alone either, i have the full backing of a number of residents, who have been dealing with this problem well before i bought my house.
    This has been going on for years.

And Codger..... Moaning can be a good thing, but you wont have the brain capacity to understand that.

Have to say the Artful Plonkers intervention is a little late in the day and plain silly. Your argument is to be applauded RE Noise levels and my contributions previously has dealt with this burning issue. As for the food, I would rather not go there but am happy to oblige the Artful plonker, its appalling with service to match, i finally got to try out this establishment and i suspect the artful dodger is either delusional or a staff member.

• Advertisement

1891hotel port,

We all wish you well in your business and what you are trying to achieve, obviously money/profit to make a living. No harm in that.

Whether you have made the effort of moving the speakers from the back wall is irrelevant, as the noise level is still extremely high/illegal, so you may as well NOT have moved them.

Would you be so kind as too state on this forum the noise decibel level test results that you carried out, then ill post mine and we'll see if they match up!

Thursday was not a once off. You've also had music blaring on bank holidays (Monday) when people are up for work on the Tuesday.

Do you feel this is acceptable? I hardly think so, and if you had to endure what i do, and many others do, every weekend, you would be a little bit more sympathetic and courteous to the situation. Surely you could lower the music down a little and everyone would be happy?
    hi gareth in our time here we never had music or a disco on bank holiday monday ,as we stressed before ,we have no intrest in running events during the week . we will moniter the noise tonite (Sunday) and see if we can improve the situation

Advertisement