Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting MSc/PhD in a month, Confused already.

Options
  • 01-02-2010 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Ok so I've applied and been accepted into a combined MSc/PhD program in computer science.

So I have to go into Uni tomorrow just to get acquainted with the lab etc and my Prof just emailed me asking if I needed anything for my research.

Ok, what research ? Am I supposed to already have an idea for research ? This was not on the brochure. I'm officially starting next month and I have only the barest idea of what I'm going to do research-wise. I thought I'd be sent down road X by my professor, i.e > My lab does Y so you can do research on X.

Am I going to be left completely on my own in this regard ?

Is this the norm ?

Really panicking here cause if he asks me tomorrow what I'm gonna research I have exactly nothing to answer him with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Master Bates

랴연 wrote: »
    Ok so I've applied and been accepted into a combined MSc/PhD program in computer science.

So I have to go into Uni tomorrow just to get acquainted with the lab etc and my Prof just emailed me asking if I needed anything for my research.

Ok, what research ? Am I supposed to already have an idea for research ? This was not on the brochure. I'm officially starting next month and I have only the barest idea of what I'm going to do research-wise. I thought I'd be sent down road X by my professor, i.e > My lab does Y so you can do research on X.

Am I going to be left completely on my own in this regard ?

Is this the norm ?

Really panicking here cause if he asks me tomorrow what I'm gonna research I have exactly nothing to answer him with.

I really wouldn't pannick at all. Even if he asks you what area you may want to research, you could simply deflect his question with a " I'm assessing a multitude of different topics... etc etc". Even if you just have a very vague, equivocal topic, it's not like you are tied to this -- you can amend it at any time.

Crikey, people really make this process considerably more difficult than it needs to be.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭랴연

Lads.

So heres what I'm doing now.

Went to University at 1pm. Met prof and got told about his lab and what research they are interested in. Got told I have to take 2 classes per semester.

So after coffee he brings me to a lab, gives me a seat and a comp and then says goodbye.

What am I supposed to be doing ? :confused:
    How do I register for classes ?

I really feel like a complete eejit, am I supposed to know these things already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

So it's an integrated programme. Did you not have to submit a topic proposal before being accepted? Things must work a lot differently in CS :D The prof in question is your supervisor or a programme co-ordinator? I'm as confused as you dude.

Tristram wrote: »
    So it's an integrated programme. Did you not have to submit a topic proposal before being accepted? Things must work a lot differently in CS :D The prof in question is your supervisor or a programme co-ordinator? I'm as confused as you dude.

- re topic proposal -> no, just a personal statement (who I am, blah blah blah) and what kind of research I am interested in (very vague).

Ok hopefully these are all the facts.

0. I'm in a Uni in Asia.
    1. I applied for a combined MSc/PhD in computer science.
    2. Classes etc are starting next month (March).
    3. I have gotten no documentation except an acceptance letter.
    4. I went to the Uni, met the Professor, had a coffee and he put me into a lab with a computer and then disappeared.
    - 4.1 I have been told I need to take 2 classes per semester and complete a MSc thesis.
    - 4.2 I haven't any idea how/where to register for these classes.
    5. The Professor won't be teaching any classes this semester and is apparently going for a years sabbatical in September. (wtf ?)

So right now I am sitting in a lab with other MSc/PhD students browsing boards.ie and feeling like a complete muppet.

I should mention I've been out of Uni for a few years and I'm actually taking this course in a University in Asia so probably American-like system.

I'm really confused, am I supposed to be doing my own personal research ? Am I supposed to magically 'know' what I'm supposed to be doing ?

I take it browsing the net for 2 years isn't going to get me a masters ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

5. The Professor won't be teaching any classes this semester and is apparently going for a years sabbatical in September. (wtf ?)

This isn't good!

Get chatting to the other students around you and try and suss out things from them. Some of them probably have the same supervisor and have been in the same position at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

- re topic proposal -> no, just a personal statement (who I am, blah blah blah) and what kind of research I am interested in (very vague).

Ok hopefully these are all the facts.

0. I'm in a Uni in Asia.
    1. I applied for a combined MSc/PhD in computer science.
    2. Classes etc are starting next month (March).
    3. I have gotten no documentation except an acceptance letter.
    4. I went to the Uni, met the Professor, had a coffee and he put me into a lab with a computer and then disappeared.
    - 4.1 I have been told I need to take 2 classes per semester and complete a MSc thesis.
    - 4.2 I haven't any idea how/where to register for these classes.

So right now I am sitting in a lab with other MSc/PhD students browsing boards.ie and feeling like a complete muppet.

I should mention I've been out of Uni for a few years and I'm actually taking this course in a University in Asia so probably American-like system.

I'm really confused, am I supposed to be doing my own personal research ? Am I supposed to magically 'know' what I'm supposed to be doing ?

I take it browsing the net for 2 years isn't going to get me a masters ? :pac:

Which uni. have you gone with in Korea? Are the lectures all in English? I don't think you would need your topic right away. When I did my MA I didn't need to know my dissertation topic either until about halfway through the course. Then again, I don't know how the system works in Korea only for my job (TESOL related) but they might expect you to magically register. I guess try to talk to general admin or Science admin office for more details. I am sure they have dealt with non-Korean native speakers before.

Best of luck.

Which uni. have you gone with in Korea?

Would rather not say on the public forum.
    I guess try to talk to general admin or Science admin office for more details. I am sure they have dealt with non-Korean native speakers before.

Let me tell you a story about the Admin staff in Universities here.

When I started looking at grad school I went in and talked to the admin staff in a few different Unis about the requirements. A TOEIC score is a requirement for foreigners.

Me: I assume I don't need a TOEIC score ?
    Her: Yes you need X points in a TOEIC exam.
    Me: I'm from Ireland ..... My native language is English .... I speak English
    Her: You need a TOEIC score anyways.
    Me: Right ...

Advertisement