Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Childline - what's it like?!

• 01-02-2010 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have recently started training as a volunteer for Childline and I am starting to have a lot of doubts about it. I am enjoying the training and finding it excellent - but I am worried that I will not be able to handle the more upsetting calls very well and very concerned as well that I won't be able to "leave it there" when I get home. I don't want to waste the ISPCC's time but I also don't want to quit until I am sure.

Does anyone volunteer for Childline - what is it like - is it normal to have these concerns or should they be warning signs for me?!

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tascher rose

Hi,

I volunteer for Childline for last year. It is totally normal to feel nervous at the start. It can be daunting the first few times you go on the phones. But remember the caller won't know you are new.

There is a very good support system in Childline. If you felt you weren't coping or concerned about a call, you may speak to the mentor who is on for that shift. They are an experienced volunteer whose job it is to help the other volunteers if they run into difficulty in any way.

Also with regard to taking it home with you, if you really had this happen, there is also a phoneline especially for volunteers who need to talk which Childline will tell you about.

Any other questions, just ask.

Last thing maybe mentioning how you feel to the person who is training you might be a good idea, they will help to reassure you.

Hang in there, ur doing great work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Hey, sorry to bump up and old thread but I thought it would save making a new thread. I am interested in applying to help Childline be it answering the phone or answering emails or anything but I am wondering how I go about applying and any other advise I may need to know. I am 20 if that makes any difference at all. Thanks.

Hey

Just contact your local Childline offiice directly or check with your local volunteer centre to check if Childline are looking for volunteers.

To join you will have to do a training course of about six-eight weeks. Intensive but very thorough.

Good luck

Also before being called for training you will do an informal interview just to explain to you what Childline does and to make sure it would be suitable for you.

Advertisement