Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

72 Previous Convictions!!!

Options
  • 01-02-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0201/cumminsj.html
    A 33-year-old man has been sentenced to ten years in prison for the manslaughter of a 21-year old-man in Waterford in November 2007.
    Robert Devine, of Wheatfields, Clonmel, Co Tipperary, pleaded not guilty to murder but guilty to the manslaughter of Joseph Cummins just before the trial was due to get underway last December.

He has 72 previous convictions, including convictions for assault and for the possession of a knife.

This is really gone beyond a joke at this stage. How can we let this type of scum walk the street with 72 previous convictions.:mad:

In the US he would have been down for life a long time ago. We need a three strike rule introduced in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

techdiver wrote: »

This is really gone beyond a joke at this stage. How can we let this type of scum walk the street with 72 previous convictions.:mad:

In the US he would have been down for life a long time ago. We need a three strike rule introduced in Ireland.
    Obviously it's a 73 strike rule in our fair little country :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Depends where he is in the US actually, not all states have a 3 strike rule.

Also, the 3 strike rule means if I have enough weed for say 5 people and I am caught 3 times, I get life in prison. Does that seem fair?

What we really need is the death penalty TBH.

+1 From me IMO. I think they forfeit their right to life when the selfishly take another persons life from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

Also, the 3 strike rule means if I have enough weed for say 5 people and I am caught 3 times, I get life in prison. Does that seem fair?

It doesn't need to be a carbon copy of the three strike rule in the US, but we need something in our law to deal with these people!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Yes, yes it does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Depends where he is in the US actually, not all states have a 3 strike rule.

Yeah, it does seem fair, and you would be really dumb if you knew that three times meant
    life, and you still went ahead...

Solution, stop after two times....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Well you are still selling illegal drugs and refuse to stop after being caught twice before doing it and quite clealy aware of the situation if you're caught a third time. It'd be your own fault, no one elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's say he was first convicted when he was 13, then that's almost 4 convictions per year since. If he started at 18 it rises to 5 convictions per year.
    This guy is not going to stop. For every conviction there is X number of crimes and attempted crimes we'll never hear about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

walshb wrote: »
    Yeah, it does seem fair, and you would be really dumb if you knew that three times meant

n8zPyro wrote: »
    Well you are still selling illegal drugs and refuse to stop after being caught twice before doing it and quite clealy aware of the situation if you're caught a third time. It'd be your own fault, no one elses.

If it's not a sufficient crime to warrant a life sentence with one offence or even a second offence... how is it deserving of a life sentence on the third offence?
    Didn't the first guy in America to be sentenced under this rule receive a life sentence for stealing a slice of pizza?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

n8zPyro wrote: »

I never said selling!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

The three strike rule is stupid because all it's done is clog prisons in various US states with people who've done misdemeanors and pander to people who think it constitutes "being tough on crime".

then again this

is even more fucking stupid - but seeing the irony in advocating a permanent punishment while at the same time lamenting how fallible the justice system is undoubtedly makes me some kind of liberal-PC-leftist-bleeding heart or whatever the current mindless retort du jour is.

And now back to our regularly scheduled rabble.

Yes, yes it does
    Maybe for class A drugs but not something as simple as weed. So long as he's not dealing it to kids and he only has it fro personnal use between his friends I don't think a 3 strike rule should be in effect here. I hate the stuff myself but so long as he's only using it for personnal use between himself and his friends and is not dealing then he's a mere blip on the crime radar. Why waste time on him when there's scum with class A drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

The 3 strikes rule is a bit harsh but surely they can come up wit a way that previous crimes count towards your sentence.
    If someone can come up wit the penalty points system for drivin surely they can think of something more fitting for repeat offenders like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭techdiver

The three strike rule is stupid because all it's done is clog prisons in various US states with people who've done misdemeanors and pander to people who think it constitutes "being tough on crime".

Please see my second post where I state that we do not need a carbon copy of the system in the US. We can have a different classification for serious crime.

As far a clogging prison, so be it. Prison should be a miserable horrifying place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

If you know the consequences and are still stupid enough to walk around with illegal drugs then yes, it is fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Yes, yes it does

Are you taking the piss, or trolling?

Regardless of the intelligence of the culprit, the 3 strike rule is unfair and unjust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Oneironaut

Looks like he's a man of conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Please see my second post where I state that we do not need a carbon copy of the system in the US. We can have a different classification for serious crime.

As far a clogging prison, so be it. Prison should be a miserable horrifying place!

Prisons, like any building, have a finite capacity and if we're filling them with people who don't need to be there because of some useless variant on the three strikes law, then that's removing a space for someone who actually does need to be in there.

But i get the feeling you'd subscribe to the myth of prisons being this wonderful luxury places.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

...In the US he would have been down for life a long time ago. We need a three strike rule introduced in Ireland.

I've being advocating for this for years. It is high time for it (or a system close to it) There is the issue of 'human rights' for these thugs, but I honestly believe that it could be introduced despite Constitutional issues.

Society is ready for a change in how its Justice is administered. Hopefully, some day we can finalize the issue of repeat offenders for once and for all.

But most importantly; a common sense attitude must prevail, i.e. this nonsense of stealing pizza is clearly an extreme case and obviously ought not result in a ultimate death sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Regardless of the intelligence of the culprit, the 3 strike rule is unfair and unjust.

What if it's ten strikes? Is it still unfair? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Are you taking the piss, or trolling?

I don't know the exact details about this rule, but if you know that committing an offence or offences three times will result in you being taken out of society for good, then you go on and commit the offence/offences, well, that says a lot about the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I never said selling!

Sorry, my mistake !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Bonito wrote: »
    Maybe for class A drugs but not something as simple as weed. So long as he's not dealing it to kids and he only has it fro personnal use between his friends I don't think a 3 strike rule should be in effect here. I hate the stuff myself but so long as he's only using it for personnal use between himself and his friends and is not dealing then he's a mere blip on the crime radar. Why waste time on him when there's scum with class A drugs?

There are plenty of decent people who would get some ecstasy (class A drugs) for them and their mates. Why do you consider them scum and not somebody who gets weed for their mates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭SubrbanOblivion

*Sigh*..I really hate seeing obviously bright people spreading blatent mis-information.

The 3 strikes rule does NOT mean you offend 3 times, you get life in prison. Not even remotely close.

The 3 strikes rule means you may get probation or a fine your first and/or second time offending(depending on the nature of the crime), but the third time will require a mandatory period of prison time with no chance of parole. It doesn't mean they will be there forever, it just means they will have to serve a minimum amount of time, which is perfectly reasonable if they've offended twice before and been let off easy those times, only to repeat their offences.

Remember also the 3 strikes rule only applies to heavier situations, such as grand larceny (stealing more expensive things like cars) or very violent crimes. 3 strikes does not exist for smaller things like shoplifting, so no, it does not just 'clog up the jails'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

lmao, are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

But i get the feeling you'd subscribe to the myth of prisons being this wonderful luxury places.

You're right, obviously they are awful places filling people with dread..

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/knife-accused-teen-calls-detention-centre-holiday-camp-443863.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

What about downloading stuff off the internet on 3 occasions?
    Isn't that illegal.
    Three strikes, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Whats unjust about it? Your given three chances. It's up to you then to decide if you want to risk it or not. If you do and get caught you can't really complain that it's unfair or unjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I don't know the exact details about this rule, but if you know that committing an offence or offences three times will result in you being taken out of society for good, then you go on and commit the offence/offences, well, that says a lot about the person.

There are many who are too stupid to realise the consequences of their actions. I think it would be very harsh to give someone life imprisonment for shop lifting three times. I wouldn't object to the three strike rule for a category of serious crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

magma69 wrote: »
    There are plenty of decent people who would get some ecstasy (class A drugs) for them and their mates. Why do you consider them scum and not somebody who gets weed for their mates?

In Ireland there is no Class A B or C drugs
    MaybeLogic wrote: »
    What about downloading stuff off the internet on 3 occasions?
    Isn't that illegal.
    It depends

Advertisement