Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2010: Coldest January for at least 25 years but dry and very sunny

Options
  • 01-02-2010 2:08pm
    Company Representative Posts: 55 Verified rep

Jan%202010.bmp

The first ten days of January continued a spell of exceptionally cold weather that began in mid-December, representing the most extreme cold spell over Ireland since early 1963. It brought significant disruption across the country, leading to school closures and affecting transport and water supplies. Temperatures rose slowly to near-normal values for the remainder of the month, with falls of snow turning increasingly to sleet or rain. This was heavy in places around mid-month, bringing flooding in some southern areas, but overall it was a relatively dry and sunny month.

Mean monthly air temperatures were around two or three degrees below normal for January in most places; it was the coldest January since 1985 generally and the coldest since 1963 in the Dublin area. Both maximum and minimum values were around six degrees below normal during the first ten days, when daytime values remained below freezing on some days in midland and eastern areas, while minimum values of below -10°C were recorded in the same areas between the 7th and 10th. There was a total of between 22 and 28 ground frosts in most places, compared with the normal range for January of between 12 and 18.

Rainfall totals were below normal everywhere, with less than half of the January normals recorded at several stations. The heaviest daily falls were on the 12th, 15th and 21st; Valentia Observatory’s daily value of 58.5mm on the 12th was its highest for January since records began there over a century ago. This amount was almost twice Shannon Airport’s monthly total of just 30mm, which was its lowest for January since 1963. There were between 8 and 13 wetdays at most stations (days with 1mm or more rainfall), but 18 or more wetdays were measured in the west and north.

Sunshine totals were above normal everywhere and they were well above normal in the south and west; totals of over 100 hours at both Valentia and Cork Airport were their highest on record for January.

The rest of the summary is here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Thanks M.E for that interesting account.

Would it be possible if you could give an idea of what the coolest periods in an average January/year are? say based on the 61-90 period? I have an idea (probably very wrongly) that coastal stations would expect to see their lowest temperatures during the mid to late January period (on average), while inland stations this would be more likely at the end of January or perhaps the first part of February. If you could dash or confirm my odd little theory, then then thanks very much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

I would have thought that coastal areas see their coldest period during very late winter i.e. late February, when the sea is almost at its coldest.

If you look on the Met site it says that the average max and min for January at Dublin Airport is 7.6c and 2.5c repectively. Whereas for February it's 7.5 and 2.5 respectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

compsys wrote: »
    I would have thought that coastal areas see their coldest period during very late winter i.e. late February, when the sea is almost at its coldest.

If you look on the Met site it says that the average max and min for January at Dublin Airport is 7.6c and 2.5c repectively. Whereas for February it's 7.5 and 2.5 respectively.

Yes, I am well aware of that, but a monthly mean over a 30 year period must show and reflect a period within each month where a lower and higher temperature occur. There is a good chance that the end of February will be warmer overall than the first which the monthly mean may not reflect. (I may be wrong) I am just asking at what period within the year are the lowest values likely to occur (on average) at both inland and at coastal stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Okay as we are talking about statistics here and how cold the winter was, I believe it has been the coldest since '63, I was not round for that year but i was for the rest of the cold winters, How cold was winter well there is a water fall beside my home it never froze until this year.

Also last night on the news it has been the coldest winter in Scotland since records began nearly 100 years ago.

What i want to know is why are we made to believe that there is global warming happening, O sorry what i was went to say is climate change, yes these experts we here so much from in the summer time about climate change will soon be coming out of hibernation.

Advertisement