Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Problems

Options
  • 01-02-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi. We have a 4 month old boxer cross and I understand problems are to be expected. But if I could sort these small things I would be very happy. You can't walk alongside him cos he keeps jumping up on top of you. He nips at your ankles and then runs across in front of you and jumps up on top of you with big mucky paws. I keep saying 'Down' and slapping him lightly on the head but it's a waste of time. Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Puppy training classes would be best for him, one that uses humane methods only. There's a few good ones around. Do stop slapping him and start off with the basics using soft treats like tiny bits of cheese or ham, tell him to sit, nice but firmly when he does give him the ham straight away.
    Keep repeating this at random times of the day he'll be sitting in no time, ignore the bad behaviour when he jumps up turn away from him don't talk to him or touch him.

Ignoring your pup is punishment enough, they hate it.

Best off at puppy classes in the long run though they'll help you with all the walking issues etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭sKepTics_George

I had the exact same problem,
    And im having it again with my new pup,
    All you need is patience remember it is a puppy who wants to have fun and eat stuff all day,
    Remember to be assertive and reward him/her, you also have to show it some affection if you want it do love you back and respect you,
    And try to get into a routine walk it the same time each day and if possible the same route, It is what helped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Have you tried looking for a puppy training class locally?
    Even a few classes can help.
    Mine were always pretty good on the lead, all I can suggest is maybe try tiring him out with games first. Then go for a short walk, I used to bring treats in my pocket to give when well behaved. If he tries to jump up or pull away change direction abruptly, stay calm and coax him gently, then reward the good. Remember 4 months is still young and he doesn't know what you want, you have to show him, it will take time. I also got a tip for the jumping up some years ago, as you see him preparing to leap, raise your knee and use it block and push him to the side while saying no. It does work.
    The nipping is another problem, does he only do it walking?
    If playing and biting inside, a yelp and move away from him usually works, they pick up very quickly that a nip means play stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Thanks for the replies. He will sit no prblem before I give him a treat. But as soon as he gets out of his run, he jumps up and continues doing it. So it's more than the excitement of gettin out. When people call to the house he jumps up. I saw on tv, squirting water in his face or sounding a horn when he does it?
    On another note I can't get him to stop pulling on the lead when we are walking. He is always out in front pulling and nearly choking himself. Should I get one of those retractable leads?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

This puppy needs guidance and training by someone who knows what they are doing, so you both need to go along to a good dog trainer so you can both be taught, or you will end up with one very disobedient puppy who will be a nightmare when he turns into an adult.

This behaviour needs to be sorted out now as a pup as the older and stronger he gets it will be much harder.

Sounding a horn and throwing water in the dogs face will only make him worse, best thing to do when a dog is jumping about like a mad thing is to completely ignore them, fold your arms and keeping turning away from them and give them no attention at all, not even a voice command.

Once the pup has calmed down then you can give it attention and reward it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Say "no" very firmly as soon as he jumps up or nips at your ankles. Then stop walking and stand still until he stops. Once he stops tell him to sit and, when he does, praise him and pet him. Then walk on. Repeat every time he continues this behaviour. Time consuming, I know, but it works.

Advertisement