Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fragile by NIN

• 01-02-2010 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Due to my ipod crapping itself recently, I've had to dust off the old cd collection and re-discovered this little gem.
    And I have to ask myself how it ever fell out of my regular rotation.

Since the first time I had heard the album it had a huge impact on me, and I remember that everytime I listened to it, it got better and better, as I kept discovering new layers to each song that I might never have noticed had I not been using ear phones for example (especially with my fancy new seihnheissers). And since it was in the making for five or so years after the Downward Spiral, I expect a huge amount of effort went into it.

I think the albums themes were brilliantly conveyed by the albums tone and reading into the albums roots and origins is pretty un-settling for me.
    I think it's amazing how he so perfectly put something that looks un-settling on paper, into music. And despite this translating perfectly to the albums music and ambience, one doesn't run away screaming from the album.

I think the album is a masterpiece and I much prefer it to any of their other albums.

Anybody else feel the same about this album?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is a brilliant album that I am also guilty of overlooking at times.

Like you did, I can go long periods without listening to it, then when I do listen to it again, I wonder how the hell had I not played it in so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Yeah, I've thought about it and I can only imagine that as things would take an upwards turn in my own life, I would turn my back to an album like this as there would be a sort of conflict of interests.

Like the album is a soundtrack to particular state of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It really is an amazing album. Now to be honest I was only ever in to the mtv-aired tunes of NIN (Closer etc). But when I heard The Day the World Went Away and We're in this Together they had such an effect on me, I had to go out and get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Great album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

I rediscovered the album similar to yourself about 5 months ago, and played track 5 cd1 on repeat for about an hour wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Into The Void and Somewhat Damaged would be my favourite tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

It's one of my favourite albums ever and definitely Reznor's best work. I love the way there's a piece on there for every mood possible, it's like having a soundtrack that covers the full spectrum of Human emotions. The only thing is I rarely listen to the whole thing in one go, or at least not both discs.

Have a look at this performance of La Mer and The Great Below. They're way too good not to share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

This is probably my favorite NIN cd also. I never understand why this album is so underrated, like other people have said its got something in there for every mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Will dig this out and have a listen. Liked it alot at the time but NIN can grate after a while.

Advertisement