Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"No trainers" policy in Galway pubs?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Is it normal to be stopped from entering a pub for wearing trainers?

I'm just asking because this Saturday the bouncer didn't let me in the Skeff, using that as a reason. It was the first time it happened to me in Galway, after 1 year and quite a bit of pub-ing.

I don't like the place anyway, so it doesn't bother me that mcuh. Was just wondering if this is the start of a trend, like they do in Portugal and Spain (just to name 2). Although that happens mostly in nightclubs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i got refused into the dail bar cause i was wearing a pair of converse, myself and my friends just walked off laughing, thing is we would have probably spent around 100euro between us there, so its there loss.

And we hear all the time how the pub trade is goin down the drain, re: ressesion etc.

Out of principle i will never set foot inside there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suspect it's there to try to keep a certain clientèle out.
    UK pubs often have that policy.
    The theory is that if you dress nice you'll act nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Happened to me before in the Skeff. Was dressed grand except for my shoes so I dunno what it was about. I don't exactly look rough or anything. Funny thing was I went to Karma then and got in fine :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

DEATH TO ALL BOUNCERS!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Magnus wrote: »
    I suspect it's there to try to keep a certain clientèle out.
    UK pubs often have that policy.
    The theory is that if you dress nice you'll act nice.

No idea what pubs ya have been to in the UK - They are much more trainer friendly even in London

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭F.Galway

Up until recently karma would not let you in if you were wearing runners even on there students nights! Thankfully they've given up on that ridiculous idea,it wasnt even in there house rules so technically could they refuse you on that basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

No trainers in pubs? Did we step back in time to the 90s?

That is such an out dated policy! Most fashions include trainers now, not just converse!

Its a ridiculous rule.

A couple of years back, I got the opposite (kinda!) I went to "The Living Room" in Manchester, which for people who don't know it, its a trendy, poncy place where all the football players go and coronation street stars, etc. I was let in wearing a paid or ripped jeans and converse. Yet my mate behind me got refused because he was wearing a pair of Rockport shoes. I understand chavs wear Rockport, but they were still respectable clean black shoes! Needless to say, we went to the pub nextdoor :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Refused for wearing Converse?? That's bloody ridiculous:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Housemate of mine got refused into the Skeff on those grounds aswell on Saturday. Although I was in there the night before with converse on...

Tbh it's just an excuse that pubs/bouncers use at times when they don't like the look of a person but have no *actual* reason to refuse entry/service.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Pubs that have a no trainer policy are usually muck, you can tell a knacker a mile away, no need to look at his feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Friend got refused for wearing a pair of Vans. I usually stick with a pair of brown DCs. I don't want to chance anything else...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

dario28 wrote: »
    No idea what pubs ya have been to in the UK - They are much more trainer friendly even in London

I was in uni in london till last june and ye every pub, wheter it was in St. Albans, Herts or London all had a no trainer policy on the busy nights... Thurs to monday basically

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A lot of places say that when they're full, its easier to explain than "we're full".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the skeff is never full nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

"No, you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny"

vs

"Sorry lads, no trainers".

I know which is easier to say, and not as aggro-causing to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

I have never heard of this
    althrough i am under 18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Farinha wrote: »
    Is it normal to be stopped from entering a pub for wearing trainers?

I'm just asking because this Saturday the bouncer didn't let me in the Skeff, using that as a reason. It was the first time it happened to me in Galway, after 1 year and quite a bit of pub-ing.

I don't like the place anyway, so it doesn't bother me that much. Was just wondering if this is the start of a trend, like they do in Portugal and Spain (just to name 2). Although that happens mostly in nightclubs.

Their loss. Though now they have started keeping the trainer wearing scruff out me and my patent leather shoe wearing crew have somewhere to go for a quiet pint.

Cheers for the headsup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I've never been refused from anywhere in galway due to runners, but obviously i don't wear skangery runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I never wear trainers on a night out so as not to risk being refused. A couple of my friends wear trainers and usually they get in fine but they have been refused a few times because of it. I have to say that I was more annoyed with my friends than the bouncers when my friends got refused - they know there's a risk of being refused so they should just wear shoes, it's not a huge thing to ask in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Im from Limerick originally. Its standard there to wear shoes on a night out. There is an extremely high chance of being refused if you dont.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It's common enough for bouncers to turn people away for reasons like this.
    Could be they have a shoes only policy which is common or could be they reckoned you might be trouble. I mean they're bouncers not psychology students so I can understand when they get it wrong from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭unJustMary

cooperguy wrote: »
    Im from Limerick originally. Its standard there to wear shoes on a night out. There is an extremely high chance of being refused if you dont.

;-)

I LoL'd quite a bit .. then I realised that you meant shoes as opposed to trainers, not shoes as opposed to no-shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Farinha

I've queued at the Front Door because the place was too crowded. It's just a matter of waiting for a while until some people leave, no problem. I think this is a much better approach to keep people out when the place is too crowded.

Now, it's a whole different situation if I look like trouble. I seriously doubt that, though. But maybe next time I should shave...

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I've queued at the Front Door because the place was too crowded. It's just a matter of waiting for a while until some people leave, no problem. I think this is a much better approach to keep people out when the place is too crowded.

Now, it's a whole different situation if I look like trouble. I seriously doubt that, though. But maybe next time I should shave...

Q to get into a pub? lol

This used to happen more often a few years back but it was more night clubs than pubs. Runners were definitely out for clubs.

I remember in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd year of college you wouldn't have a chance of getting into cp's with runners on but since that they are not as strict. I have worn runners to most pubs incl the Dail(which appears to have an issue with some) but tend to wear shoes usually when going out especially if going to halo as I'm sure they would not look too kindly on runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

I was turned away by the Clayton hotel one Saturday afternoon a few months after they opened. Turned away from the bar while they showed football and served lunch.
    I'm not a scruff, I'm not a skanger, it was a sunny afternoon and I had just been for a walk (hence the trainers). The hotel bar was showing the Premiership match live and my OH and I wanted to get some lunch and watch the game. As soon as we walked over the threshold of the bar a young barman (who was rightly mortified) stopped me and told me the hotel policy was not to serve anyone wearing trainers.
    I couldn't get out of there fast enough. First time, last time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Its such an old-fashioned attitude for want of a better phrase to refuse people into pubs with trainers on. I cant remember ever being turned away from a pub in London for wearing trainers (clubs are a different matter, but if a club wouldnt let me in wearing trainers then I wouldnt want to be in that sort of club).

Its ironic but its usually the clubs where they have a no trainer policy that you get the most trouble (they are usually meat markets with crappy europop or similar on in them on the whole) and as an aside it can cost a hell of a lot more for a decent pair of trainers these days than a pair of shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Look like trouble? How do you tell if a complete stranger is trouble by looking at them? I think this runner crap is just stupid ignorance. The bouncers that enforce this are just on a power trip. For one if a fight did break out in the pub i imagine that a shoe would hurt/cause more damage to someone than a runner, and just because someone wears shoes it does not make them any better than someone with runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Q to get into a pub? lol

:rolleyes: What a crock of ****, everyone has done it at some stage or another get off your high horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

I remember queuing to get into padraics on the docs one Saturday morning at about dawn, now that was gas, place used to get so wedged that hour of the morning that they used have to let one out before they'd let another in, everyone in there'd be wrecked coming from parties and the like, used to be like walking into the twighlight zone, it could get fairly messy at times but at least they never banned runners ( or trainers as the young folk do call them now)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement