Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signposts in east Cork

Options
  • 01-02-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I was driving to Wexford on Saturday and noticed that a lot of signposts down past Youghal have their English names obscured. This applied to all signposts including the brown ones, just a white label stuck over the English name. Is this something akin to "An Daingean"? It seemed to be restricted to a small area, I only really noticed it first on a few signs pointing to "An Rinn".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

An Rinn (Ring as Béarla) is a Gaeltacht; my brother went there to Irish College as a kid, and I know a few people who went to boarding school there. I would imagine that like the Kerry Gaeltacht residents, they want signposting in their area in their first language; I'm not familiar with the specifics though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Just to clarify, it's west Waterford, rather than east Cork :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That would be the Gaeltacht area alright. Well into west waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You are correct, someone covered over all the English names.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

jhegarty wrote: »
    You are correct, someone covered over all the English names.

But is this an official thing? Or just the residents going overboard a little?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I went to school in gortroe (near youghal) in the late 1980s and early 90's and they were all anti-english. very very anti-english.

ha, im heading down there tomorrow..... better watch my back but with 23 years in ireland and 7 in the uk should be more irish now, was born in st phinbars in cork city but to uk parents ( well one had an italian grandmother).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I would not knock them for having their signs in their first language.

Saw a man complaining the other day about a sign in an office which was in Irish. He complained he could not understand it. I told him we speak English sometimes to facilitate people but Irish is our Language and if he is planning on staying in Ireland he should try learn a bit.

I dont have much Irish but fill in whatever I can now in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

As part of qualifying as a Gaeltacht, and get funding allocated to such regions, all signs have to be in Irish only. Thank the then Minister for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs Eamon Ó Cuív, remember the whole Dingle/Daingean Uí Chúis debacle? It's the same throughout the country - West Cork, Kerry, Connemara, Donegal, Meath. Any existing dual language signs had the English place-names officially obscured!

Advertisement