Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom - issues.

• 01-02-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

Ok, so i'm not sure if there are many other people out there in the same position as me?

We have had wireless broadband at our house for the last few years, initially through IFA Telecom. Then it was switched to Omnitel (who were brilliant), who have now recently been taken over by ripplecom.

Our internet went at the start of December so we logged a fault with ripplecom and heard nothing back. After ringing numerous times were were firstly told that they couldn't see a fault logged by us on their system (great) and that the mast near Athy where we had been receiving our signal from had been damaged in the bad weather. Our internet had been gone well before the 'big freeze'....

Then after hearing nothing from them and no one picking up their tech line we were finally told that there actually wasn't a problem with the mast, that the land that the mast was on had been sold and that the new owner was trying to increase the rent and they didn't want to pay the new fee. So they just turned the mast off. Without trying to relocate any of their customers who received signals from that mast beforehand (or after really).

A technician was supposed to come out last week a few times but due to being sick, the van had broken down and then on saturday he told us that they had not put us down on his roster for the day, we were still waiting. He was going to try to fit us in at the end of his day but rang back to say that he couldn't get in touch with anyone in ripplecom when he was trying to reconfigure another clients internet so there wasn't much point in him coming to us if he couldn't do anything. (we see his point)

Sent ripplecom an email last night (from dublin where i have to be until we get broadband back) and rang again this afternoon and was put on hold for about ten minutes during which i'm assuming the person on the other end was opening the email for the first time. Apparently the technician is coming out in the morning, but on confirming the time with my mother he also told her that he didn't really see any point because there was little chance of us being able to receive a signal from any other mast.

I have heard that something similar has happened in Waterford and that the customers there weren't able to get a signal from any other mast from ripplecom after they shut down the one that they were previously getting a signal from.

I'm trying to find an alternative wireless option for our area (Monasterevin, outside the town very near the M7 motorway) but am getting nowhere so far.

Does anyone know of dependable wireless providers in the Kildare/Laois area?

And is there anything i can do about ripplecom at this point?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Not 100% sure but i think Imagine Broadband is available there. Give them a ring and they will be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭yellowcurl

I just tried them there, apparently we can't get it :(

Any other ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭nilhg

I know ninetreehill have a mast on the redhills, you may have LOS to it, I think it's a reasonable service.

Other than that Digiweb have a node on one of the hills between Portlaoise and Stradbally or you could try lastmile they are on the heritage Hotel in Killinard.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 alan18

yellowcurl wrote: »
    Ok, so i'm not sure if there are many other people out there in the same position as me?

We have had wireless broadband at our house for the last few years, initially through IFA Telecom. Then it was switched to Omnitel (who were brilliant), who have now recently been taken over by ripplecom.

Our internet went at the start of December so we logged a fault with ripplecom and heard nothing back. After ringing numerous times were were firstly told that they couldn't see a fault logged by us on their system (great) and that the mast near Athy where we had been receiving our signal from had been damaged in the bad weather. Our internet had been gone well before the 'big freeze'....

Then after hearing nothing from them and no one picking up their tech line we were finally told that there actually wasn't a problem with the mast, that the land that the mast was on had been sold and that the new owner was trying to increase the rent and they didn't want to pay the new fee. So they just turned the mast off. Without trying to relocate any of their customers who received signals from that mast beforehand (or after really).

A technician was supposed to come out last week a few times but due to being sick, the van had broken down and then on saturday he told us that they had not put us down on his roster for the day, we were still waiting. He was going to try to fit us in at the end of his day but rang back to say that he couldn't get in touch with anyone in ripplecom when he was trying to reconfigure another clients internet so there wasn't much point in him coming to us if he couldn't do anything. (we see his point)

Sent ripplecom an email last night (from dublin where i have to be until we get broadband back) and rang again this afternoon and was put on hold for about ten minutes during which i'm assuming the person on the other end was opening the email for the first time. Apparently the technician is coming out in the morning, but on confirming the time with my mother he also told her that he didn't really see any point because there was little chance of us being able to receive a signal from any other mast.

I have heard that something similar has happened in Waterford and that the customers there weren't able to get a signal from any other mast from ripplecom after they shut down the one that they were previously getting a signal from.

I'm trying to find an alternative wireless option for our area (Monasterevin, outside the town very near the M7 motorway) but am getting nowhere so far.

Does anyone know of dependable wireless providers in the Kildare/Laois area?

And is there anything i can do about ripplecom at this point?

forget them , had all the same stuff from them

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Chris Doherty

On todays FAS site (21/11/11) they are looking for an Accounts Receivable Clerk. An intern where the Government pays the wages.
    I dont know what others think about this Jobbridge Internship scheme, but I think it is about time employers created jobs and stop hiding behind this scheme. I have yet to meet someone who did not think that the scheme was nothing more than a legal form of slave labour. For me I will not support firms who avail of the internship, and will give my hard earned money to firms that create real jobs. For me it is an unfair form of competition and employers should at least be made to pay the difference the dole and minimum pay, or the average pay in the sector.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Anyone know if Ripplecom have upped their game in the last while?

I've never heard of them, but got a flyer in the door today promissing up to 8mb and a 70gb cap.
    I'm in Oldtown Co Dub and am having serious problems getting any decent broadband (am currently using a vodafone stick)

Cheers.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

Squ wrote: »
    Anyone know if Ripplecom have upped their game in the last while?

I've never heard of them, but got a flyer in the door today promissing up to 8mb and a 70gb cap.
    I'm in Oldtown Co Dub and am having serious problems getting any decent broadband (am currently using a vodafone stick)

Cheers.

S

I have literally just got off the phone with them and ordered this package. Based in Leas Cross so not too far away. Very mixed reviews from what I've read but going to take a chance. Currently with eircom maximum 1.5 MB but contract is up. Would love to know how others gone with ripplecom and have I made a bad decision!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I've been about 7 weeks without internet because of this

An absolute nightmare to deal with. I've spent 40 minutes in total on hold today trying to speak with a human

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭clusk007

I've been about 7 weeks without internet because of this

An absolute nightmare to deal with. I've spent 40 minutes in total on hold today trying to speak with a human

that doesn't sound good! How was your service up until then? I have the option of staying with a reliable eircom 1.5 MB maximum as I have a seven day cooling off period. If not for this incident would you stay with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

clusk007 wrote: »
    that doesn't sound good! How was your service up until then? I have the option of staying with a reliable eircom 1.5 MB maximum as I have a seven day cooling off period. If not for this incident would you stay with them?

It doesn't tell the half of it. The aerial blew down in the wind, took them a week and a half to call out, fair enough, they were busy. Three weeks to order some brackets to put the aerial back up and now this.

I think this says all that needs to be said about them
    1833829160.png

If I could get 1.5 meg eircom, I'd take them in a heart beat

• Advertisement
Advertisement