Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW polo problem.. clock and trip meter keep resetting

• 01-02-2010 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having yet another little problem with my 02 VW Polo. The month of January really took its toll..

Over the past few days the clock, trip meter and radio all reset any time I turn on the engine. The Radio will revert back to old preset stations and the clock and trip meter both go back to 00

When the engine is off, the clock and mileage used to stay on screen, but they disapear now. Any warning sounds (like when you forget to switch your lights off after you open the door) have all switched off too. I just popped into a mechanic and he reset the display panel but that only worked until the next time I started the engine. Its very annoying!

I've been playing around with different things and the key being physically removed and then replaced seems to be a factor.

The mechanic also doesn't think the lack of warning sounds and the displays resetting are connected.. but I'm pretty sure they are.

Has anyone any ideas what it might be? The mechanic is all out of ideas so does it sound like a main dealer sort of problem?

Thanks

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sounds like the constant live feed is missing, Check your fusebox for blown fuses or bad connections .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭stephenrd

The Muppit wrote: »
    Sounds like the constant live feed is missing, Check your fusebox for blown fuses.

Cheers, I'll have a look.

My knowledge of car electrics isn't the best... Is there any visual indication that a fuse has blown or do I need to break out the multimeter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

If you check the your fuses the lid usually has a description of what each circuit the fuse is on as well as the amp of the individual fuse. There should also be a fuse puller (kinda like a small tweezers) to allow you to pull it out. If it isnt der a long nose plyers works just as well. Pull out the fuse and inspect it you should see the metal wire inside a good fuse and no metal wire inside a blown one. Replace with same amperage fuse.

http://www.evilution.co.uk/info/3fuse.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

stephenrd wrote: »
    Cheers, I'll have a look.

My knowledge of car electrics isn't the best... Is there any visual indication that a fuse has blown or do I need to break out the multimeter?

There is but If you have, and can use a mulitmeter thats the way to go. Check the Red and yellow wire at the back of radio too, one should have 12 volts with the keys out of the ignition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭stephenrd

I've just checked the fuses and they're all ok. The radio does have power with keys out and one other interesting thing - My emergency lights work no problem, but the indicators don't flash on the dashboard with keys out.. only when keys are in.

Its like the dashboard loses power completely when keys are out and then resets when power is restored. A few more checks suggest I do have warning sounds with keys in but none with keys out - so the really handy one warning you that you've left your lights on after taking the keys out has dissapeared.. which I really miss...

Any ideas? Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Stephen

• Advertisement
Advertisement