Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buckled Alloys

• 01-02-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Need advice, I have 3 buckled Ford alloys.

I've got a reasonable quote and a not so reasonable one!

I was told by one garage buy new alloys.
    The other garage said yes you could buy new alloys but with the way the roads are there's no guarantee that one of them won't buckle either. They said they're getting a lot of alloys in for repair that have buckled.

Are Ford alloys weak in general? Is it a known problem that they buckle easily?

Brings me to my next question, does the tyre place opposite Croke Park (hogan stand) have a good reputation? If I get the alloys repaired and my tracking done there are they good?

Thanks,

Q.Q

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

How much have you been quoted to unbuckle the three alloys? Prices vary widely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just buy new wheels, they'll never be perfect even when they're fixed. Wheel and tyre packages are quite cheap nowadays just make sure the tyres are an ok brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Quent Q.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    How much have you been quoted to unbuckle the three alloys? Prices vary widely.

First place quoted €75, then suggested new alloys.

Second place quoted €40 per wheel.

I was a little surprised at the difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

colm_mcm wrote: »
    just buy new wheels, they'll never be perfect even when they're fixed. Wheel and tyre packages are quite cheap nowadays just make sure the tyres are an ok brand.

Whats cheap? I know halfords (dont throw stuff at me) seem pretty reasonable for alloys with a decent drand of tyre, but i'm not aware of prices elsewhere.

colm_mcm wrote: »

The first garage quoted me €475 just for the alloys, doesn't seem too cheap to me!

I can get them repaired in the place near Croker for €160. I'm just not sure which to go for, don't want to make the wrong choice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Is it a particularly stylish model? Or would a set of steel wheels do you? Might make more sense if the three wheels buckled in a short space of time on the roads you're driving.
    You could consider getting wheels (alloy or steel) that are smaller diameter (and tyres with a taller sidewall) to reduce the risk of buckles?
    Depending on what you have at the moment like..

langdang wrote: »
    Is it a particularly stylish model? Or would a set of steel wheels do you? Might make more sense if the three wheels buckled in a short space of time on the roads you're driving.
    You could consider getting wheels (alloy or steel) that are smaller diameter (and tyres with a taller sidewall) to reduce the risk of buckles?
    Depending on what you have at the moment like..

TBH can't see myself using steel wheels on it, I like the look of alloys. The roads it'll be driving on now won't be as bad as previous ones.

Just contemplating which option to go for. I'm edging closer to getting them repaired, the price seems very reasonable. The place was busy too so they must be good enough at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Quent Q. wrote: »
    The first garage quoted me €475 just for the alloys, doesn't seem too cheap to me!

I can get them repaired in the place near Croker for €160. I'm just not sure which to go for, don't want to make the wrong choice!

What size are they? Does the 475 include rubber or are they re-using your existing tyres?

I got 4 x 17" alloys for my old 04 passat a few years back and they were 750 euro including the tyres. 50 quid to fit.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Quent Q. wrote: »
    Are Ford alloys weak in general? Is it a known problem that they buckle easily?

well my Focus has 3 buckled alloys too

however, at the last service when they identified this, they did not suggest replacing as a priority. Just sdaid I may feel some vibration in the wheel when at high speed, say motorway driving...and I do

but it doesn't seem to be worrying them...

is there any reason to urgently replace/repair buckles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Riskymove wrote: »
    is there any reason to urgently replace/repair buckles?

Yes, if not for safety, then for the sake of your tyres and driving.

Is €475 a quote for one wheel or 4 wheels? Old or new? OEM or other?

If they are badly buckled, as someone else has said, they may never be right again.

Have a look on e-bay and gumtree etc. Used alloys for a Focus should be easy enough to find.

• Advertisement

flamegrill wrote: »
    What size are they? Does the 475 include rubber or are they re-using your existing tyres?

I got 4 x 17" alloys for my old 04 passat a few years back and they were 750 euro including the tyres. 50 quid to fit.

Paul

They're 16", the €475 is purely for the wheels, no rubber included.
    Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Yes, if not for safety, then for the sake of your tyres and driving.

Is €475 a quote for one wheel or 4 wheels? Old or new? OEM or other?

If they are badly buckled, as someone else has said, they may never be right again.

Have a look on e-bay and gumtree etc. Used alloys for a Focus should be easy enough to find.

The €475 is a quote for brand new alloys, not Ford ones.

There's a slight wobble alright, it really noticable with city driving, only on motor way over 100kph.

Just want to get it sorted now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id get a wheel & tyre package. Its often amazing the prices that they can do these at. It seems for about 1.5 times the cost of 4 tyres, you can get wheels & tyres. For example, mate got a set of 18" audi replica wheels & tyres for €650 or so delivered from north. Cheapest tyres available were generally about €100. So those kind of prices are a bargain imo.

If it were me i'd just get the alloys unbuckled for 40 quid each. I have had an alloy unbuckled myself for 35 quid, it was bent in 3 places, seems perfect now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

BrianD3 wrote: »
    If it were me i'd just get the alloys unbuckled for 40 quid each. I have had an alloy unbuckled myself for 35 quid, it was bent in 3 places, seems perfect now.

Good price alright, where was that?

The-Game wrote: »

Place near Croke Park, opposite hogan stand. It was busy when I was down there the other day. Presume they have a good rep!

Also getting a few other things done so reckon there's a discount thrown in.

The-Game wrote: »
    I got the work done by Gortnacarrow tyres in Fermanagh
    https://www.gtstyres.com/shop/index.php

I think they also do free laser alignment when you're getting other work done, not sure about that though

Advertisement