Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

iPod compatible car radio for Mazda 3

Options
  • 01-02-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I'm thinking of changing my radio for a better quality head unit.
    I was thinking of going for a made for iPod radio to be able to use my iPod through the car stereo. Ideally I'd like to be able to connect the head unit to the existing steering wheel controls.
    I have about 250 clams or so to spend on getting the unit and having it installed.
    I did a little window shopping and got a few recommendations, the problem is I know next to nothing about car stereos so I could be sold a pup.

The units I was advised to look into were:
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB
    Alpine CDE-112Ri
    Kenwood KDC-W4544U
    Sony CDX-GT530UI

I thought I'd post what the list was and what I was looking for.
    I don't really mind what brand the stereo is as long as it's reliable.
    Here's waiting for your invaluable recommendations.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Isn't the original radio expandable?

I'm pretty sure it is. there's a Media button or something on it.

I wouldn't go removing the factory stereo as it's pretty decent and makes up a big chunk of the dash.

I'd get something like the Axxess ipod integration kit or Mazdas own kit, which isn't as good. track info etc is displayed on the headunit screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

I don't get track information displayed on my unit, so I thought I needed to change it.
    If there is an MP3 kit for it any idea where I'd get it and how much it would cost?
    The only original Mazda stuff for MP3 I can find is the Bose stereo and that's 500 clams.

In that case I'd look at a Dension system with a dash mounted cradle, I've fitted a few Ice Link FM models and despite technically being an FM transmitter (it plugs into the aeriel socket so no interference) the sound quality is perfect.
    You use the ipods controls to select tracks etc. As far as I know, the CD changer type interfaces disable the ipod screen and controls.

Would this be better than changing the stereo then?

http://www.incaripod.com/Vehicle/Audi/ICD_Direct_Control_iPod_Interface

looks good, I'd be checking about track info though. right pain when it's not displayed on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 thxireland

i've put in a few and most usb compatible stereo will use ipod and display track info plus they also take flashdrive and all kinds of mp3 players but if you want it use your controls first most times you'll need the same model as the original and then at the back of the original there would be a connecter on top or bottom of the iso connecters you need to make sure thats compatible

there is a dvd /cd mp3 stereo in halfords for around 150 its expandable and the usb is on the back which means it can be ran to anywhere in your car to stop have cables all over the place

make is ripspeed its only got a 3" screen but can be attached to bigger if wanted

sorry and for 250 there is one still a single din with a 7" touchscreen no usb but still aux input in rear for ipod or anything else

DIN sized stereos look cat in modern cars though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Try a Parrot MKi 9200. Plug the iPod into your glovebox, the screen mimics the iPods own and you have a controller for it. Works a treat and the menus are just like the iPods. Charges it too

EDIT - Forgot to say you also get bluetooth, sd card slot, USB in and Aux in

well it's a standard size and with the custom kits you can get for the car it's not bad looking plus it mean that once you have the standard in and don't have to look for custom stereo everytime something new comes out and with the fold up 7" touchscreen you won't even notice it's a single din

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

EPM wrote: »
    Try a Parrot MKi 9200. Plug the iPod into your glovebox, the screen mimics the iPods own and you have a controller for it. Works a treat and the menus are just like the iPods. Charges it too

EDIT - Forgot to say you also get bluetooth, sd card slot, USB in and Aux in

Yeah would agree as well. I put a Parrot Mki9100 in my Mazda 3. Easy to install and the added feature of the phone kit.

What is the stock stereo Mazda usually fit?
    I can't find out anywhere.

there is nothing you'd have to get a custom fit stereo or change a bit of the panel if you want a standard with touchscreen would look like this7977300001_large.jpg

I was curious to find out if anyone knew the brand of radio usually fitted.
    An earlier poster suggested I might have to stick to a similar brand if I want the steering controls to work the stereo.

Nice radio in the pic.

On a related query is 250 all in, too cheap?
    Should I up the price level a little?

well if your looking for one like that in the picture then 300 would cover your purchase cost but if your looking for something a bit simpler but still wat you need then 200 would get you an ok head unit but unless your change your whole sound system i.e speaker and all there's no point and spend a lot on a head unit cause it will do the same thing

fitting it would be the trick but i'm sure you'd get away with about 100 to fit

but check out this site first and it will tell you wat you need to know

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123634459

If I want to buy one of those adaptors do I have to import it from the web or are there dealers that stock them?

Fitting one of those would certainly be the less complicated way to hook up an iPod to the stereo.

However if I wanted to change the head unit itself are any of the ones I listed at the start any good or are there better ones for the job?

I don't need touch screens or blue tooth connections but I won't kick a unit off the list for having either or both.
    I guess the main thing is, if I went for a complete change of kit, new head unit, new speakers, etc. How much would I need to put aside for it?

A rough estimate I got from a Pioneer dealer was about 400 - 500 clams to change the head unit, replace the new fascia, change the speakers and install the lot. Would that be about right?

I'm extremely grateful for all the comments that have been left on this thread. You're all very knowledgeable and patient, I'm learning loads as this thread goes on.

if he was fitting a good speakers like pioneer and a pioneer head unit like the on in your ads then yeah but you shouldn't need to change your speakers if it just a head unit your putting plus be aware that the pioneer head unit you mention needs extra things to use an ipod properly

you would get away easily for 350 for a good head unit installed ,fitted and everything else

the problem is that that head unit wouldn't really push the speaker you have in already and you would't get the benefit out of it so to get better louder sound you need new amps which is why you should just replace the head unit and the rest should be fine as standard

oh and halfords should be able to order you one of those face plates

thxireland wrote: »
    if he was fitting a good speakers like pioneer and a pioneer head unit like the on in your ads then yeah but you shouldn't need to change your speakers if it just a head unit your putting plus be aware that the pioneer head unit you mention needs extra things to use an ipod properly

you would get away easily for 350 for a good head unit installed ,fitted and everything else

the problem is that that head unit wouldn't really push the speaker you have in already and you would't get the benefit out of it so to get better louder sound you need new amps which is why you should just replace the head unit and the rest should be fine as standard

To get the iPod to work with the head unit do I need a cable to hook it up or do I need to install a module?

Also is it worth the extra to get it connected to existing controls on the steering wheel?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

These are supposed to be quite good, they work with the standard head unit.

• Advertisement

well it really depends on you like the original controls might not work how you want to with ipod and on pioneers site it ays you need a module it does say it will connect through the usb there is an alpine stereo that they made purely for the ipod and the controls are simliar to the ipod itself

stevenmu wrote: »
    These are supposed to be quite good, they work with the standard head unit.
    It sounds like I'd need to get someone to install the kit for me as I'm all thumbs. If the part is about 120 would fitting it be about 30 clams or so?

My head says to get the module and leave the stereo alone so I don't have to chop bits out of the dash. My heart on the other hand keeps whispering about changing the head unit and the speakers to get a clearer sound.

well changing the speaker won't get you clearer sound as for chopping your dash you won't have to you can get a plate but just changing the haed will give you much clearer sound if you need some one to fit just pm me if you want me to fit it i'd say for a nice clear sound i never had problems with the alpine and they came out with a version that will play your videos from the ipod but only has a 3" screen on the front

Where is a good place to look for head unit reviews?
    The only places I've tried for head unit prices is Halfords and my local dealer are there any good places to look for pricing details online?

9 out 10 time halfords will be the cheap and have the best stock but where abouts are you and i'll suggest a few

I'm based in Limerick.

ok well wat town or is it limerick town

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It sounds like I'd need to get someone to install the kit for me as I'm all thumbs. If the part is about 120 would fitting it be about 30 clams or so?

My head says to get the module and leave the stereo alone so I don't have to chop bits out of the dash. My heart on the other hand keeps whispering about changing the head unit and the speakers to get a clearer sound.
    I don't know the layout of the Mazda3, but I've been reading about it on RX-8 forums, and it seems many people have been able to fit it quite easily. They just remove the glove compartment and can then reach in behind the headunit from there and attach it easily. They then just run the cable into the glovebox and put their ipod in it. Not sure if that would apply to the Mazda3 though.

thxireland wrote: »
    ok well wat town or is it limerick town
    I@m based around limerick city mostly.

• Advertisement

well there doesn't seem to be much in limerick as far as i can see possibly halfords would be your best bet and i know they fit them for around 80 clams and in dublin they are pretty much the cheapest and best around

Advertisement