Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis: First Chapter

Options
  • 01-02-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hello all!

Apologies if this isn't the correct forum... but I am a postgrad so maybe i'm allowed?

I'm doing my MA thesis at the moment (boo, hiss, boo). I have already done my first draft of my introduction and submitted it to my lecture, who had a luke-warm response to it, but anyway.

I've been asked to submit the next chapter, which technically it the first chapter (not including the introduction) I'm just wondering what the hell it should contain?? I was planning on doing just the background to the topic and what other work has already published and how I intend to add to the field of study.

I've already touched on this in my introduction but obviously I'll be further developing it. Anyone have any clues if this is the best way to do it? I'd ask my supervisor but he's decided to fudge off on sabbatical to go around Europe! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Master Bates

meganj wrote: »
    Hello all!

Apologies if this isn't the correct forum... but I am a postgrad so maybe i'm allowed?

I'm doing my MA thesis at the moment (boo, hiss, boo). I have already done my first draft of my introduction and submitted it to my lecture, who had a luke-warm response to it, but anyway.

I've been asked to submit the next chapter, which technically it the first chapter (not including the introduction) I'm just wondering what the hell it should contain?? I was planning on doing just the background to the topic and what other work has already published and how I intend to add to the field of study.

I've already touched on this in my introduction but obviously I'll be further developing it. Anyone have any clues if this is the best way to do it? I'd ask my supervisor but he's decided to fudge off on sabbatical to go around Europe! :mad:

Personally, I think starting with the into is a terible idea; this should be left until the end. How can you introduce something which isn't formulated?

The last thing you want is a disjointed introduction. Srap it and start at chapter one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

We can't really tell you what to put in each chapter cause each project is different and each person writes differently. But, I wouldn't do it like above. Tbh there are a number of books in the library about how to write your thesis, I would look up some of them for this question, and talk to you supervisor (or get a new one if you think his travels are getting in the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The contents of the first chapter vary from thesis to thesis: sometimes it's possible to launch straight into the topic while other theses require some degree of background information, without being too narrative or too broad. The structure of your thesis will also depend upon whether it's chronological or thematic.

Did you draw up a thesis outline at any stage and/or discuss it with your supervisor? A thesis outline doesn't have to be very detailed, but it should resemble an essay plan whereby you look at the information you have and then decide what approach would best suit you (ex - chronological/thematic) and then try to arrange it in a structure that would show off your topic in the best possible way.

You say your supervisor's response to your introduction was 'luke warm', but did he give you any advice or tips on how to improve it? Did he comment on the structure of your thesis, how to break it down, etc.?

The structure of your thesis isn't set in stone yet, but it would be best to have a chat with your supervisor, even if it's via email, and tell him that you're not sure about what way to go and if he could give you some advice. Obviously, if you had an idea or two to give him when seeking his advice would be best, as it would show that you're thinking about it, and would just like someone else's opinion/advice.

I don't suppose there's another lecturer who you would feel comfortable approaching and asking their advice while your supervisor is away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

In my MA thesis I used the simple tried and tested formula, and it worked because I got a first. Frantic times though OP. :(

I'm sure you have heard of the method, tell them what your going to tell them, then tell them, then conclude by telling them what you told them...

And don't write your introduction until last, whatever poster said that is correct... Do not overthink and over-complicate things for yourself, and always listen to your supervisor. Best of luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Personally, I think starting with the into is a terible idea; this should be left until the end. How can you introduce something which isn't formulated?

The last thing you want is a disjointed introduction. Srap it and start at chapter one.

I agree, I think the thing is because I'm doing a taught MA it was in an effort to get us thinking and working on our thesis.
    convert wrote: »
    The contents of the first chapter vary from thesis to thesis: sometimes it's possible to launch straight into the topic while other theses require some degree of background information, without being too narrative or too broad. The structure of your thesis will also depend upon whether it's chronological or thematic.

Did you draw up a thesis outline at any stage and/or discuss it with your supervisor? A thesis outline doesn't have to be very detailed, but it should resemble an essay plan whereby you look at the information you have and then decide what approach would best suit you (ex - chronological/thematic) and then try to arrange it in a structure that would show off your topic in the best possible way.

You say your supervisor's response to your introduction was 'luke warm', but did he give you any advice or tips on how to improve it? Did he comment on the structure of your thesis, how to break it down, etc.?

The structure of your thesis isn't set in stone yet, but it would be best to have a chat with your supervisor, even if it's via email, and tell him that you're not sure about what way to go and if he could give you some advice. Obviously, if you had an idea or two to give him when seeking his advice would be best, as it would show that you're thinking about it, and would just like someone else's opinion/advice.

I don't suppose there's another lecturer who you would feel comfortable approaching and asking their advice while your supervisor is away?

He did give me a lot of feedback all of it very constructive, I'm in an unfortunate situation where by I have a Double Honors BA in English and History. My MA is in History and my supervisor seems to think that it's my English degree which is making my language very complex and flowery which is not what one wants from a History thesis apparently.

I've divided my thesis up today into small manageable segments and I've given the chapters rough titles so I at least know what information I'm putting where and so on. I've decided to do a back ground for chapter 1 essentially putting the entire thing in context and I'm hoping that at the end of the Chapter I will have an evolution on the beginnings of my topic.

I spoke to my lecturer yesterday and it appears he will be splitting his time between the University and his travels it just means that he won't have consultation hours and we won't be able to drop in, which I never do anyway, but he assures me that he will be around.
    In my MA thesis I used the simple tried and tested formula, and it worked because I got a first. Frantic times though OP. :(

I'm sure you have heard of the method, tell them what your going to tell them, then tell them, then conclude by telling them what you told them...

And don't write your introduction until last, whatever poster said that is correct... Do not overthink and over-complicate things for yourself, and always listen to your supervisor. Best of luck..

I like your style Reginald! Seems very simple when you put it like that.

Thanks for all the help anyone, I thought my brain was going to turn to cheese yesterday and come out my brain. I suppose it's just a symptom of writing a thesis!

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 John Wells

I agree, I think the thing is because I'm doing a taught MA it was in an effort to get us thinking and working on our thesis.

He did give me a lot of feedback all of it very constructive, I'm in an unfortunate situation where by I have a Double Honors BA in English and History. My MA is in History and my supervisor seems to think that it's my English degree which is making my language very complex and flowery which is not what one wants from a History thesis apparently.

I've divided my thesis up today into small manageable segments and I've given the chapters rough titles so I at least know what information I'm putting where and so on. I've decided to do a back ground for chapter 1 essentially putting the entire thing in context and I'm hoping that at the end of the Chapter I will have an evolution on the beginnings of my topic.

I spoke to my lecturer yesterday and it appears he will be splitting his time between the University and his travels it just means that he won't have consultation hours and we won't be able to drop in, which I never do anyway, but he assures me that he will be around.

Cheers!

It sounds like you'll be grand from the thesis outline that you posted above. A short literature review in your introduction (or first chapter as you mentioned above) is always a good idea as it allows you to mark your territory, i.e. this is what has been written on this subject before; I agree with this thesis and disagree with that argument.

I finished an MA in History last autumn and my thesis was 25,000 words so I also had to include a detailed methodology section but I'm not sure what your word count is.

Regarding supervision I had four contact hours with my supervisor and then corresponded via email. It worked well as I would send my supervisor PDFs of chapter drafts so he could have a look at them even if he was away.

Best of luck with everything but you seem to be well on top of things. When is your deadline and what is the word count of your thesis?

How 'flowry' and 'complex' does he consider your language to be? Is it similar to the style in which you're posting here?

That sounds like the best way to approach it. I'm doing something similar for my PhD (history) thesis at the moment, but I guess how well it works depends on the topic.

That's not too bad, I guess. Much better than him being away completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

John Wells wrote: »
    It sounds like you'll be grand from the thesis outline that you posted above. A short literature review in your introduction (or first chapter as you mentioned above) is always a good idea as it allows you to mark your territory, i.e. this is what has been written on this subject before; I agree with this thesis and disagree with that argument.

I finished an MA in History last autumn and my thesis was 25,000 words so I also had to include a detailed methodology section but I'm not sure what your word count is.

Regarding supervision I had four contact hours with my supervisor and then corresponded via email. It worked well as I would send my supervisor PDFs of chapter drafts so he could have a look at them even if he was away.

Best of luck with everything but you seem to be well on top of things. When is your deadline and what is the word count of your thesis?

My thesis is only 15,000 so it's not too bad at all. The deadline is Mid-October, was hoping to have it completely finished by the start, so I can get it bound and have as much time as possible to do last minute adjustments.I also have to have my rough draft of the entire thing done by May so that should be ok.

I like the idea of sending PDF's of chapters for them to review. I think that's how I'll do it from now on. Send him something and then see him after he's read it at least then i can get as much out of it as possible.
    convert wrote: »
    How 'flowry' and 'complex' does he consider your language to be? Is it similar to the style in which you're posting here?

That sounds like the best way to approach it. I'm doing something similar for my PhD (history) thesis at the moment, but I guess how well it works depends on the topic.

That's not too bad, I guess. Much better than him being away completely.

Is my style 'complex' when posting on boards?? I think my essay language tends to be a little bit all over the place. Mainly because I get carried away with points in my essays and then forget when editing it that most people don't follow a muddled thought process especially when it's not their own.

Is my style 'complex' when posting on boards??

I would have considered it well written, and what would normally be considered more than acceptable for a history thesis/essay.

I think my essay language tends to be a little bit all over the place. Mainly because I get carried away with points in my essays and then forget when editing it that most people don't follow a muddled thought process especially when it's not their own.

That's a common feature for 'first draft' chapters. That's why they're called first drafts. There are very few people who can write a perfect first draft and not have to sit down and edit it, even minor changes. What you're describing sounds like most people's first draft, so don't worry too much. You're still at a very early stage in your thesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Master Bates

My thesis is only 15,000 so it's not too bad at all. The deadline is Mid-October, was hoping to have it completely finished by the start, so I can get it bound and have as much time as possible to do last minute adjustments.I also have to have my rough draft of the entire thing done by May so that should be ok.

I like the idea of sending PDF's of chapters for them to review. I think that's how I'll do it from now on. Send him something and then see him after he's read it at least then i can get as much out of it as possible.

Is my style 'complex' when posting on boards?? I think my essay language tends to be a little bit all over the place. Mainly because I get carried away with points in my essays and then forget when editing it that most people don't follow a muddled thought process especially when it's not their own.

When making a complex point, why not just introduce it in a simplified form, then you can elaborate accordingly?

Crikey, I really should start charging for this golden information!

• Advertisement
Advertisement