If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32" suggestions?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I've a friend who will be in Dublin next weekend, he wants a 32" and asked me to check on prices before he comes up, specifically the Philips 32PFL5604 and the Samsung le32b450c4wxx .

I think you had the 32PFL5604 for 449 incl 2yr warranty, I don't know if you carry the Samsung - can you let me know if that's correct?

On the other hand, could you recommend an alternative in or around that price area - good quality pic, I don't know that Full HD or HD Ready matters on a 32", does it? He would use it for Sky, Blu-Ray & playstation in a small living room.

Thanks!

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

poochiem wrote: »
    I've a friend who will be in Dublin next weekend, he wants a 32" and asked me to check on prices before he comes up, specifically the Philips 32PFL5604 and the Samsung le32b450c4wxx .

I think you had the 32PFL5604 for 449 incl 2yr warranty, I don't know if you carry the Samsung - can you let me know if that's correct?

On the other hand, could you recommend an alternative in or around that price area - good quality pic, I don't know that Full HD or HD Ready matters on a 32", does it? He would use it for Sky, Blu-Ray & playstation in a small living room.

Thanks!

Full HD V's HD ready at a budget level on a 26-32" - the difference will be pretty marginal IMO.

The Sammy 32B450 is now a finished line for us but we do still do the 32PFL5604H (it's a really nice TV - I think way better than the Sammy especially in audio quality).

The 32PFL5604 is just €499.99 and with your Philips shop Boardies 10% discount it comes out at just €449.99 including a 2 year warranty.

Keep us posted if we can assist an thanks again for the enquiry,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 46 jezzag

Spent a good hour in Tralee today looking at the latest models and despite having my head swayed by the lovely 8000 series Ambilight sets I'm swayed by saving a wedge and snagging a 32PFL5604. I really, really like the idea of a network connection on the TV but also saw a blueray player with this built in which would solve that problem.

I was hoping to wait until we moved house in a few months time before dropping some hard earned on a couple of new screens and kit to go with them but our borrowed set has now given up the ghost and we need to replace quickly.

So questions, what's availability on the 32PFL5604? Is there a 37" model in that range and how much does that cost? (Not sure what the small living room in the new house could take but 32 might be a good place to compromise as it could always go into the open plan kitchen / play area if its too small).

Do Philips do a DVD with HD upscale and network connection or would I need to get the Blu Ray machine? (tbh not fussed on Blu Ray unless I have to). What's the best price on the player?

Finally, how much for delivery to Kerry? I'm up in Dublin in four weeks time but not sure I can wait until then!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

I really, really like the idea of a network connection on the TV but also saw a blueray player with this built in which would solve that problem.

I'll let the lads answer your queries, but will just poke my nose in here to say that you should check carefully the issue of network connection - the network connections on bluray players is usually to enable the player to access internet data relevant to the disc being played, this feature is called BD-Live and you can read more about it here - http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/bluray/bdlive.html. Network-enabled TVs are able to browse the internet (to varying extents, depending on the implementation by the manufacturer) which is different thing altogether.

Ritz.

Actually I realise what I need (or would like) is DLNA - the ability to stream content from a computer across the network to the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Jezzag

OK, in no particular order......

Whilst all our TV's from 5 series and up have VGA inputs (or if your PC has DVi/HDMI outs you can use the HDMI inputs on the TV instead) to enable you to plug PC's into them and use the TV as a big monitor only the 8 and 9 series TV have a DNLA Network connection.

THe 32PFL5604H is a very nice TV, and yes, it is also available in a 37" screen size.

The 32PFL8404H you saw is a wonderful TV and betters the 5604 on pretty much all levels.
    Some key points....
    The 8 Series TV is a 100Hz Clear LCD TV,the 5 series is 50Hz set, and it has a greater contrast ratio of 80000:1 (compared to 50000:1) and features a faster responding LCD panel (3ms compared to 5ms) this is partnered up with the more powerful Pixel Precise HD image processing engine...the result of all of this is better detailed image and smoother handling of motion:)

This TV is also available in 37" as well...

Pricing is as follows and is Post our 10% Philips Shop Boards Discount...our TSP is indicated in brackets for clarity..
    32PFL5604H is €449.99 (€499.99)
    37PFL5604H is €584.99 (€649.99)
    32PFL8404H is €719.99 (€799.99)
    37PFL8404H is €809.99 (€899.99) This is VERY HARD to come by for the time being however
    We are happy to deliver these TV's anywhere in Ireland for a small cost.

Really nowadays you'd be much better served by using a BLU-RAY player rather than a regular DVD player.
    This will really bring your TV enjoyment to the next level!
    All our BR players will happily take your DVD's and upscale them to 1080p if you wish plus you'll REALLY see a vast improvement when you play Blu-Rays into your TV--- the level of clarity and detail can be astonishing!

We have the BDP2500 which is on offer for €129.99 at the moment - this player isnt a profile 2 unit meaning you cant plug it into your router and access on line BD content.
    If you wish to access this type of content you could consider the BDP3000 as this unit is Profile 2 enabled and will plug into your router to access all the good(?) stuff via BD-Live discs.
    This player can be yours for €159.99

The Ritz is correct in that most BR players with ethernet connections just use them to access BD-Live content (or to carry out firmware upgrades) and not much else.

I hope thats of some help to you!
    Give me a buzz on (01) 474 0788 if you have any more questions I can answer for you.

Cheers
    Ash

• Advertisement

Ashley, thanks for such a comprehensive reply (and on a Sunday too!).

Will give you a call tomorrow to discuss in a bit more detail.

Ashley, many apologies for not getting back to you. This last week has been a bit mad work wise. I'm still interested in talking to you about TVs, but I've got the loan of a set to tide me over for a little while which takes the pressure of somewhat.

I'm coming up to Dublin in three weeks so I'll pop into the shop on the 8th and take a closer look at what you've got. Whereabouts would I find the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

jezzag wrote: »
    I'm coming up to Dublin in three weeks so I'll pop into the shop on the 8th and take a closer look at what you've got. Whereabouts would I find the shop?

Here ye go
    http://www.philipsshop.ie/contactus.htm

Great, thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.