Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner party, thinking about Seabass

Options
  • 01-02-2010 5:04pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭

Care to share a receipe with seabass for a party? OH is looking after starter and dessert. She reckons seabass would be nice, I've hit a wall as to how to cook it, what suace to do with it. Any idea's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd suggest steaming/pan frying and putting it on a bed of something tasty like chorizo cassoulet. Something that you can make in advance and just heat up when you're ready to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Baked Seabass

Serves 6
    Takes 25 minutes to make and 25-35 minutes in the oven

Ingredients

• Olive oil, for greasing and drizzling
    • 6 small whole sea bass, each about 300g once gutted, cleaned and head and tail removed, or 3 larger ones, each about 450-500g once prepared as above
    • 2 fennel bulbs, halved, cored and thinly sliced
    • 2 lemons, thinly sliced
    • 25g bunch of fresh dill
    • 25g bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley
    • 6 fresh thyme sprigs
    • 6 bay leaves
    • 300ml white wine

Method: How to make baked sea bass

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Smear the base of 1-2 large roasting tin/s with a little olive oil. Season the inside of each sea bass, then place them in the roasting tin/s.
    2. Fill the cavity of each fish with the fennel and lemon slices, then tuck in the dill, parsley, thyme and bay. Scatter over any remaining fennel, lemon and herbs, then pour over the wine. Drizzle each fish with a little olive oil and season well.
    3. Cover the whole tin/s tightly with foil and bake for 25-35 minutes, basting the fish with the pan juices halfway, depending on the size of the fish – you want the fish to feel firm to the touch, with the meat opaque and moist. Carefully transfer the fish to a board and cover loosely with foil to keep hot.
    4. Make a quick sauce from the pan juices. Place the tin over the hob (if using 2 tins, tip the juices into 1 tin) and boil for a few minutes, until the juices are reduced slightly and well-flavoured. Strain into a jug.
    5. Transfer the fish to warmed serving plates, easing out the fennel, lemon and herbs slightly so they fall on the plate. (If you've cooked 3 large fish, you need to cut each fish into 2 fillets, which takes no time. Use a sharp knife to cut down the back bone, then lift away the fillet and transfer to a plate, skin-side up. Discard the backbone, then transfer the other fillet to a second serving plate. Divide the fennel, lemon and herbs between them. Repeat with the remaining fish.)
    6. To serve, pour a little of the sauce over each sea bass, then drizzle with some extra oil. Serve with the new potatoes sautéed with herbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This takes a bit of effort, but is very tasty, and rather impressive.

Get your sea bass (heads on) and stuff them with whatever you fancy. Close the belly so no flesh is showing. Place on a bed of sea salt, then cover over with more sea salt until there's a nice mound over the fish, and just it's head and tail are sticking out. Bake it for about 45 mins - 1 hour.

It's a very tasty way to cook any fish. The salt will give just the slightest salty flavour to the fish. you can mix lemon and herbs into the salt too. It's really delicious.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Thanks for the suggestions. The chorizo one is interesting. Have you a particular chorizo cassoulet recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'd usually make it something like:
    Dry fry cubes of chorizo, add finely chopped onions & garlic along with finely diced red pepper. When that is all soft, add in some chopped tomatoes (I like using whole cherry ones) and cook until they start to split. Add in the can of beans, cannelli or something like that. And when they're warmed through, add come crème fraiche and either chopped parsley or basil. You can pop in some smoked paprika along the way too - I seem to add it to everything though!
    You don't want it too saucy, more beanie. Which is why I don't use a tin of tomatoes.

If you're going to make it in advance. Bring it to the bean adding stage. Then warm it up from cold and add in the crème fraiche to loosen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Hi,
    Not a sea bass dish but in case you just felt like fish. It is very different to the usual lemon / dill flavours but is really tasty - as long as you like garlic!
    It is simple and frees the cook up as is baked in the oven..

Very yum indeed:)

Krazy Garlic Trout
    Prep Time: 15 Minutes
    Cook Time: 25 Minutes Ready In: 40 Minutes
    Servings: 1

"Garlic trout with lemon and onion. Use as much garlic as you like!"
    Ingredients:
    1 whole (10 ounce) trout, cleaned, head
    and tail removed
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 yellow onion, chopped
    1/2 lemon, juiced 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
    1 teaspoon butter
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    2. Fill the cavity of the trout with the garlic, onion, and lemon juice. Rub trout with butter, and place on a large piece of foil. Season with garlic salt, salt, and pepper. Place the jalapeno on top of the trout. Seal trout in the foil.
    3. Bake trout 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until easily flaked with a fork.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I did the choizo dish as above, new baked potatoes as above, green beans, and fried the seabass in butter. The party said it was one of the nicest dishes they had ever eaten, and between prep and cooking, took no longer than 50 minutes. I'd highly recommend this dish to anyone. Herself wants to know how soon till I'm doing it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I'd be a fan of seebass pre-filleted (to keep it simple), lightly dusted with seasoned flour, pan fried in olive oil, until skin is crisp- you could then do a homemade mayo or tarter sauce on the side which can be prepared well in advance - this might be more suited to a starter though...served with Greek salad...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,053 ✭✭✭✭event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I'd say this would go well with Sea Bass.
    http://www.mediterrasian.com/delicious_recipes_viet_fish.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

event wrote: »

i've made this a few times, it always goes down well. its also nice with bream if you cant get your hands on bass. although i often find i have to leave it in the oven for longer than the 15 mins recommended in the recipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

how many people are you cooking for?

got a big oven?

I've got a awseome recipie for pass fillets we used to use and sold like hot cakes ....

Its easy and looks after its self.... :D so you can chat to your friends...

you need on the vine cherry tomatos.
    buter......lime and lemon zest
    Baby potatos
    spinich
    sea bass filliets
    white wine vinger.
    white wine and thats it...
    40x30 centimeter squared of baking peper.
    40x30 centimeter squared of tin foil...

boil the potatos from cold water ....

once par boiled or cooked. soften some unsulted butter add the zest of the lemon and lime juice of a lime and half a lemon, then mix in with the butter ad some coriander to but not nesscery place on some partment role it into a cylinder an inch wide stick back in the fridge.

take the tin foil place on the table shiney side down.then place the baking peaper on top of the tin foil take the halfed baby pots 7 or 8 place in the center... then a few nobs of butter heep some spinich,then baby tomotoas (still on the vine.) after that place the bass fillit skin side up poor some white wine viniger and white wine just a drizzle..... Now this is the important part.
    you need to make creases in the paper so all sides are folded up itand the two sides crease in neatly with the others then begin to wrap down gently till you get to the bottem at which point it should be in a nice sie parcil.you can secure it with baking string it doesnt hurt... then wrap in tinfoil place in the fridge... 3

when your read bang in the parcell in a very hot oven for 10 to 14 minues depnding on sise of fillets ...

serve on plates in the parcills and give everyone a few nobs of butter and a tuck in...

Advertisement