Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will "Classic Rock" ever return

Options
  • 01-02-2010 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Was having a chat with my mates about this last night. One of the lad's plays in an original band, they are going back into the studio to mix one of their songs, to try and bring it down to around the 3:30 so radio stations might play it, its around 5:00 at the moment. What we were saying was if zeppelin just started now, would they get radio play and become the biggest band in the world? Listening to the charts over the last 15 years, rock music is dieing out, but "classic" will it ever get a chance to return if radio stations only want a track around the 3 minute mark?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What we were saying was if zeppelin just started now, would they get radio play and become the biggest band in the world?
    I doubt it, for the most part, radio plays crap, rock doesn't get a look in

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 storybud1

your so right...it's all about 4 good looking but talentless dickheads nowadays...people forget that music is meant to be listened to,not looked at,i think the rot set in with the pet shop boys and there peurile tripe,then scott aitken waterman and there stable of pin-ups,then the ultimate death knell was and is simon cowell and that ******* x-factor,real music will never get a look in anymore,how sad,there are some great kids out there playing great lead guitar,but they are really up against it.
    long live rory gallagher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

all i want to hear is Doctor Doctor by UFO played just once on 2fm, all they play is trust me, im a doctor!:mad:

There are loads of amazing rock bands out there all over the country that people will never get the chance to hear. Perfect example, last sept, we played a gig in athlone with 3 other bands (were only a covers band). had never heard of the headline band until then. They were amazing, have been listening to their music ever since. this band wouldnt be massive, but the dogs in the streets know who jedward is:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Thats a tough question to answer:DRock is only with us since the 40's,Hard/Heavy Rock since the 60,s,70,s and 80,s ,so its taken 40 years for music of that era to become "Classic".Who knows,in 40 years time,some of the music about now might be deemed "Classic".Damn,I mightnt be around to find out! Ha ha ha. Thats my 2&6 about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Listening to the charts over the last 15 years, rock music is dieing out, but "classic" will it ever get a chance to return if radio stations only want a track around the 3 minute mark?

That's true, but charts have always been like that

Queen almost didn't release Bohemian Rhapsody as a single because they protested against it being almost 9 minutes long. Bryan Adams had trouble with Everything I Do and Meat Loaf's comeback nearly didn't happen as the original I Would Do Anything For Love was 12 minutes long!

The charts have never liked rock music, but Download 2009 proved that rock bands still had the attraction and there were more then enough people out there for them, that sold out festival was headlined by Faith No More and Def Leppard and the likes of Whitesnake, ZZ Top and Motley Crue packed stages

Hell, even Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" has been used by Glee recently and Van Halen's "Jump" is featured in another prominent episode - it's all "watered down" versions of the tracks, sure, but they recognize the importance of rock in certain areas as something people want other than rap and dance and pop

Some Rock Bands Worth Discovering
    http://www.myspace.com/dangerdanger (for fans of Def Leppard)
    http://www.myspace.com/wingertheband
    http://www.myspace.com/wigwamania
    http://www.myspace.com/ninthcircleworld (these guys could be HUGE!)
    http://www.myspace.com/heavenbelowmusic (eX-Union Underground vocalist)
    http://www.myspace.com/culttofollow (ex-Union Underground guitarist)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Never judge music by what's played on the radio (especially Irish radio) from any decade. Every era has great, great music if your willing to look for it. I hear too many people complain about the state of music nowadays, and I thoroughly disagree. There are loads of underground bands creating great music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Unfortunatly i think it's over and has been for some time.

I suppose we have "The Answer" and "Airbourne flying the flag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Queen almost didn't release Bohemian Rhapsody as a single because they protested against it being almost 9 minutes long. Bryan Adams had trouble with Everything I Do and Meat Loaf's comeback nearly didn't happen as the original I Would Do Anything For Love was 12 minutes long!

I hate this.

I love lengthy, meaty, complex songs.(Probably the reason I like prog so much) Ones that have different parts and sounds throughout. The radio denies people (welll at least people who listen to it) of this. They get a repetitive "jingle" (almost like an advertising jingle) to hook and sell. It annoys me. There's a wealth of talent out there that gets no airtime, in fact people who aren't on the radio are nearly more talented than than some of the people who are on it regularly.

I've heard people who say that most of what's on the radio is crap being called a "snob". In my opinion the people who are the "snobs" are the ones who refuse to broaden their horizons and just listen to the most one dimensional songs ever written. I can concede, however, that sometimes you get a song that's quite good in the "mainstream" :p

Sorry for that off topic rant.

On topic: I think that the metal of today will be the "classic rock" of the next era. Or "classic metal". ;)

Your grandchildren will probably ask you were you there when Mastodon released Crack the Skye or when Porcupine Tree released Fear of a Blank Planet. (Just examples)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Jako8 wrote: »
    I love lengthy, meaty, complex songs.(Probably the reason I like prog so much) Ones that have different parts and sounds throughout
    I agree with this completely, it is a piece of art and should be as long as necessary to complete it to the artists satisfaction
    Your grandchildren will probably ask you were you there when Mastodon released Crack the Skye or when Porcupine Tree released Fear of a Blank Planet. (Just examples)
    They better :cool:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Never judge music by what's played on the radio (especially Irish radio) from any decade. Every era has great, great music if your willing to look for it. I hear too many people complain about the state of music nowadays, and I thoroughly disagree. There are loads of underground bands creating great music.

I agree. Ive heard a few good dublin bands on phantom fm. However, if they got a few songs on national radio it would be great, and increase their download sales. There are great original bands all over the country, but ive no real medium to hear them. Im from roscommon, very few original bands, and almost never any original gigs all covers (im aware of the irony that i play in a covers band! :o). The Answer have been mentioned, I really like this band, very 70s. But 90% of the population have never heard of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I doubt it, for the most part, radio plays crap, rock doesn't get a look in
    This, quite sadly. Too much Lady Gaga, Keisha etc getting over-hyped when they all sound similar. Nobody cares about riding on your disco stick Gaga.

Denny M wrote: »
    This, quite sadly. Too much Lady Gaga, Keisha etc getting over-hyped when they all sound similar. Nobody cares about riding on your disco stick Gaga.

What grinds my gears, is this: Lady gaga is a very talented musician, however her songs are produced to sound like a typical pop songs, with polished beats (bass to 11:rolleyes:), loads of synth and keys (which i hate!). However I really like this version of pokerface

Cant imagine it ever getting into the charts!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Was having a chat with my mates about this last night. One of the lad's plays in an original band, they are going back into the studio to mix one of their songs, to try and bring it down to around the 3:30 so radio stations might play it, its around 5:00 at the moment. What we were saying was if zeppelin just started now, would they get radio play and become the biggest band in the world? Listening to the charts over the last 15 years, rock music is dieing out, but "classic" will it ever get a chance to return if radio stations only want a track around the 3 minute mark?

A few years ago when the Darkness burst onto the scene I really thought Classic Rock was in for a semi-decent revival but nope, never happened and after Permission to Land and their Christmas song faded, so did my hopes for classic rock :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What grinds my gears, is this: Lady gaga is a very talented musician, however her songs are produced to sound like a typical pop songs, with polished beats (bass to 11:rolleyes:), loads of synth and keys (which i hate!). However I really like this version of pokerface

Cant imagine it ever getting into the charts!
    Heh, when you said that I just flashbacked to Family Guy and Peters "Grinds my gears" news segment :pac:

And to be fair, most of the people that I know who listen to Gaga wouldn't be a fan of piano music, so I daresay that really wouldn't get charted.. At least not at the time when nobody heard of Gaga. But I digress, it's nothing to do with the Rock and Metal board I guess.

There are a few radio stations, they might play rock stuff (metal is still relatively untouched on the radio here) but that would be at like 10pm or later, so it would never be heard by a vast number of people. There are a few exceptions (RATM at christmas), but on the whole, this seems to be the order of things in todays mainstream. I'm open to being proved wrong on this (hell, I'd love to be), it's just how I've seen it.

Denny M wrote: »

There are a few radio stations, they might play rock stuff (metal is still relatively untouched on the radio here) but that would be at like 10pm or later, so it would never be heard by a vast number of people. There are a few exceptions (RATM at christmas), but on the whole, this seems to be the order of things in todays mainstream. I'm open to being proved wrong on this (hell, I'd love to be), it's just how I've seen it.

id love to prove you wrong, but you are 100% correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

r3nu4l wrote: »
    A few years ago when the Darkness burst onto the scene I really thought Classic Rock was in for a semi-decent revival but nope, never happened and after Permission to Land and their Christmas song faded, so did my hopes for classic rock :(

In fairness The Darkness suffered from the ghey and so did anyone (incl. DJ's & college kids) who were like yeahhh 'rawk is back'. It was never gone...

Rock (or classic) rock is no longer the main interest of the airwaves now and while on one hand I'm quite happy for it to be music to discover and go 'how awesome is this song' and to have it to myself... at times it does also have its downside in that I may not be as exposed to stuff that I may like as I have to hear Akon and effin Beyonce on the radio, young bands hoping to make it with a great sound aren't getting the record deal/gig/support that they need.

My biggest pet peeve is when wankmags like Q review a classic rock album that has great production, songs etc. but is considered dated so they give it a one star review...yet whatever Jack (one note) White/The Strokes or KoL (and other culprits) do is consdiered retro chic. I like some of those bands to different extents but retro chic...WTF??? :mad:

fluke wrote: »
    In fairness The Darkness suffered from the ghey and so did anyone (incl. DJ's & college kids) who were like yeahhh 'rawk is back'.
    The Darkness definitely brought 'campness' to classic rock but there is no denying that their sound was definitely classic rock.
    It was never gone...
    I think the argument in the thread is that it is 'gone' from the airwaves. However, even when Iron Maiden (more new wave of British heavy metal, than classic rock) were selling albums by the truckload they only had a couple of major chart successes (Can I play with madness and Fear of the Dark...moderate success for Bring your daughter) and that was at the height of the rock/metal scene back then. So classic rock is definitely 'gone' from the airwaves imo.
    My biggest pet peeve is when wankmags like Q review a classic rock album that has great production, songs etc. but is considered dated so they give it a one star review...yet whatever Jack (one note) White/The Strokes or KoL (and other culprits) do is consdiered retro chic. I like some of those bands to different extents but retro chic...WTF??? :mad:
    I don't read any of those mags, so wouldn't know! I think anyone who does read them might also suffer from 'the ghey' as you say :D

All we can do is keep our subscription to "classic rock" and keep reliving the glory days

Even though i wasn't old enough the first time around:P

Would never read Q/Kerrang/Metal Hammer, for the guitarists, total guitar is gone to crap as well, as its mainly kids that buy it now, 90% of the content is aimed at kids.

I mean common, Q gave Steel Panther's Feel the Steel 3/10 what a shocker!;)

I love the raconteurs though, some of Jack whites best work, 2 great albums

I mean common, Q gave Steel Panther's Feel the Steel 3/10 what a shocker!;)

2 in the pink and 1 in the stink thats called the shocker!!!!

• Advertisement

The Darkness definitely brought 'campness' to classic rock but there is no denying that their sound was definitely classic rock.

I think the argument in the thread is that it is 'gone' from the airwaves. However, even when Iron Maiden (more new wave of British heavy metal, than classic rock) were selling albums by the truckload they only had a couple of major chart successes (Can I play with madness and Fear of the Dark...moderate success for Bring your daughter) and that was at the height of the rock/metal scene back then. So classic rock is definitely 'gone' from the airwaves imo.

I don't read any of those mags, so wouldn't know! I think anyone who does read them might also suffer from 'the ghey' as you say :D

In fairness I did indeed refer to classic rock being gone from the airwaves. Read my post.

They ghey is just a joke and I didn't refer to Q as the ghey...anyway...but a magazine like Q has such a solid stance (solid along with certain British and even Irish DJ's) on what is cool or not that you have to admit, it does affect what gets played on the radio these days, even if you don't read them.

Nice edit and glad you've expanded a bit on your original post: 'whatever' (email subscription ftw) :D
    In fairness I did indeed refer to classic rock being gone from the airwaves. Read my post.
    I did, and I saw that but you were saying it's not 'gone' just because it's gone from the airwaves but let's face it, getting airwave time is what really keeps a genre successful these days. No airtime, very little exposure, therefore very little future chance of a real resurgence.
    They ghey is just a joke and I didn't refer to Q as the ghey
    My apologies, you are correct, you called it a wankmag...personally I use the internet for that sort of thing but if you want to do it to the pictures of bands in Q...be my guest!! :D (That's a joke too, why so serious?)
    ...anyway...but a magazine like Q has such a solid stance (solid along with certain British and even Irish DJ's) on what is cool or not that you have to admit, it does affect what gets played on the radio these days, even if you don't read them.

I totally see your point, yes, those mags do influence airplay and the charts but we also have to admit that in the 70's/80's in particular 'rock' was expanding. There was pure rock, hard rock, prog rock etc and a lot of interesting stuff going on but that age is unfortunately over. Hip-hop and rap began taking over and there was some really interesting stuff going on so the music journalists followed. Also, I really think that it's not just the mags that influence the charts, it's really the big names in the industry. Stock Aiken, Waterman in the 80's, early 90's, Cowell and co in the late- 90's/00's.

Sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

When I think of the seventies I dont think of turning on the radio and getting black sabbath and deep purple blasted out on high rotation. Radio then like today was populated with cheesy rubbish, the rock played was mostly of the radio friendly type (ELO, Bowie, Elton John, Queen). I remember Radio Dublin had a late night rock show on Sundays and Wednesdays where they'd play Rush, Sabbath etc.

Most classic rock is album orientated and so didn't get much airplay in its day. Also the choice of stations was quite limited too.

Personally speaking the golden age of radio and rock was late seventies post punk and new wave, where the approach was to write shorter catchier songs, and hence had more chart hits so the radio had plenty of Blondie, Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, Talking heads, The Jam, The Police, The Pretenders etc played.

As much as I like Classic rock I'd prefer if something more forward looking developed rather than bands depending on retro formulas (which aren't bad by no means). I think Rock music has been due a big development from somewhere - I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

www.zenithclassicrock.com is a good starting place! Waterford rocks you know!

Just a note regarding Iron Maidens singles they have had more than a few decents hits, 17 in the top 10 - including a number one. Okay Westlife had about 20 chart toppers but thats what they did - fluffy short singles for daytime radio. "Proper" rock is never going to be national radio morning noon and night as there are too many competing interests (not least the issue of ad breaks when playing 20 min live tracks!) and in truth not quite enough listeners. Nothing wrong with quality niche coverage though.

damonjewel is bang on about the late 70s mind. :)

Nice edit and glad you've expanded a bit on your original post: 'whatever' (email subscription ftw) :D

Fair enough ye got me there, had to edit it as the whatever remark was typical knee-jerk A-hole me.

My bad. sorry. :)
    I totally see your point, yes, those mags do influence airplay and the charts but we also have to admit that in the 70's/80's in particular 'rock' was expanding. There was pure rock, hard rock, prog rock etc and a lot of interesting stuff going on but that age is unfortunately over. Hip-hop and rap began taking over and there was some really interesting stuff going on so the music journalists followed. Also, I really think that it's not just the mags that influence the charts, it's really the big names in the industry. Stock Aiken, Waterman in the 80's, early 90's, Cowell and co in the late- 90's/00's.

Just on this you reminded of something...in Almost Famous - Philip Seymour Hoffman's character refers to 'the era of cool' that is about to come along...and in some ways the era his character referred to happened as over time less risks are taken and basically if the airwaves & big names don't like it, it won't get the exposure it could really use...

Advertisement