Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Customs

Options
  • 01-02-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Flying into Sydney this month and I have a question on bringing herbal medicine into Oz
    The other half takes a herbal tonic, it is a liquid no plant pieces or anything like that in it.
    Will it be ok to bring this into the country.
    Should we declare it as a precaution and let customs decide
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Flying into Sydney this month and I have a question on bringing herbal medicine into Oz
    The other half takes a herbal tonic, it is a liquid no plant pieces or anything like that in it.
    Will it be ok to bring this into the country.
    Should we declare it as a precaution and let customs decide
    Thanks

Always declare anything you ain't 100% sure off, What pisses customs off the most is not declaring. Its funny if you stuck in behind Asians... some of the sh!t they pack in their bags and don't declare it... It really cracks customs up. In fact they based an entire TV program around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Always declare anything you ain't 100% sure off, What pisses customs off the most is not declaring. Its funny if you stuck in behind Asians... some of the sh!t they pack in their bags and don't declare it... It really cracks customs up. In fact they based an entire TV program around it.

As mandrake says, declare it if you are in anyway unsure. Also make sure the bottle is unopened because if it is open, theoretically there could now be anything inside it.

Mandrake - they show border security in Ireland, except it's called 'Nothing to Declare' and the episodes are about 4 yrs old. Cracks me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I declared four boxes of Butler's chocolates last month. They didn't even look at them but I was probably as quick as if I hadn't gone through quarantine. If you've any doubt declare it and let them decide, it could save you a lot of money.

mel.b wrote: »
    As mandrake says, declare it if you are in anyway unsure. Also make sure the bottle is unopened because if it is open, theoretically there could now be anything inside it.

Mandrake - they show border security in Ireland, except it's called 'Nothing to Declare' and the episodes are about 4 yrs old. Cracks me up!

Yeah I know my Brother watches it on Sky back home... I fix X-Ray machines and sometimes do the ones at Sydney Airport... he always claims he is looking out for me but as far as I know never I made it on the show. Cracks me up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

I remember declaring a guitar at customs - signing the usual form on the plane stating I had a wood substance with me, After landing, I was in the que with everyone else, waiting to go through customs, the lady asked - any declared goods? - I said yes - I was then waivered through an exit and out of the airport(without anyone checking the guitar). So its better, and sometimes quicker to declare an item.

• Advertisement

Yeah they like to check Hurleys as well, but more for having soil on it (foot & mouth risk)..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Medicines
    You need to declare all drugs and medicines including prescription medications, alternative, herbal and traditional medicines, vitamin and mineral preparation formulas to Customs. Some products require a permit or quarantine clearance and/or a letter or prescription from your doctor describing your medication and medical condition.

From Aust Customs Website
    Therapeutic Goods Imports
    Therapeutic goods include medicines, cosmetics, herbal remedies, essential oils and certain sports and dietary supplements. Most therapeutic goods are not classified as food products. If you intend to import therapeutic goods you are required to contact the Therapeutic Goods Administration for further information and the Australian Customs Service for correct application of Tariff codes.

Many of these products must be accompanied by an Import Permit and there may be quarantine conditions that will apply. For further information on quarantine conditions, please use the contact details below;

Therapeutics goods of animal origin, contact the Biologicals Unit on (02) 6272 4578 or visit the Biologicals website
    Therapeutics goods of plant origin, contact Plant Quarantine on (02) 6272 3917 or visit the Plant website

Therapeutic goods must be declared on arrival in Australia. Further certification or endorsements may also be necessary and the Import Permit will outline these additional requirements. For specific details, please refer to the AQIS Import Conditions Database (ICON) prior to import.

From AQIS (Quarantine)

I was looking into this recently as I want to take some Dillisk back with me, so will need to get the proper stuff sealed in a bag to take with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Goiter

If you have stuff like toiletries in your main luggage, not carry on, are these ok? Stuff like deodorant, shampoo, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Beachband wrote: »
    I remember declaring a guitar at customs - signing the usual form on the plane stating I had a wood substance with me, After landing, I was in the que with everyone else, waiting to go through customs, the lady asked - any declared goods? - I said yes - I was then waivered through an exit and out of the airport(without anyone checking the guitar). So its better, and sometimes quicker to declare an item.

My understanding is that they also risk assess you, where you are travelling from and the item(s) you declare you are carrying. So for example if you declare you have some sweets etc they will pretty much wave you through.

Also if you don't declare and are considered to be a risk you are more likely to end up with getting your luggage xrayed. A few years ago I went to the Solomon Islands and purchased some wood products (which I declared). However another person in our group had taken some biscuits from OZ to the Solomons. He then packed the open pack of biscuits in his luggage and didn't think anything of it. His luggage was then xrayed as he hadn't declared anything and they picked up biscuits. Fortunately he was let off with a warning. Meanwhile my wood was let through after being checked and I didn't have my luggage xrayed.

Advertisement