Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government agreement: Free-To-Air RTE in NI, BBC in RoI on DTT platform

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

sesswhat wrote: »
    Don't know if there is anything new in it but there is a front page story in the Irish News about RTE on NI Freeview.

I saw that this morning. RTE and TG4 for Freeview and it said to expect an announcement soon about increased availablity of the BBC in Ireland. Could it become available on the second mux?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

where did you see it? can you post a link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Cool....and with RTÉ Player on my PS3 here in Belfast as of this morning, buh-bye $KY.

(runs down to the wee corner shap fer til do the messages and buy the Irish News ferbye).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

the article is subscription only so cant see it online... the part about bbc availability is interesting as it was discussed widely here at the time that the greens/Department announced it and had to row back when the memorandum was changed overnight to wipe out all reference to bbc been available on saorview free of charge... wonder have the greens got it back on the agenda before the election?

had a quick look at the article and its not great. most of it is a re-hash of what was said at the launch of the memo and some of it contradicts itself like the part where it says viewers will loose access to rte after years of overspill because its been switched off but they will have it on freeview instead. Yet on the same page it says that the signal is now even stronger than ever in tyrone etc with the new rte digital saorview coming in crystal clear.. the part about bbc been available down south is very vague... just mention of an announcement "soon".

• Advertisement

that would be interesting to see what does happen in the end and are they talking soon or in 2012 but i would nt be getting rid of sky just yet(if i had it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Read all about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,382 ✭✭✭Macy0161

jamescc wrote: »
    that would be interesting to see what does happen in the end and are they talking soon or in 2012 but i would nt be getting rid of sky just yet(if i had it)
    I don't know if it will effect sky subs, but in my opinion having BBC1 and/or BBC2 on saorview would be a nice carrot for analogue only households to switch. I'm not convinced it will happen, but would certainly knock a lot of the "why are RTE bothering" crap you see on other sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

BBC on Saorview is not going to happen. RTE even recommend people get Freesat.

If someone has Sky and a Saorview TV all they need to do is cancel and they will get MORE BBC, ITV, C4 Five and UK channels free than was ever proposed for ANY pay DTT platform.

So..
    What stations will NI lose to make space on Freeview for RTE1, RTE2 and TG4?

How many people in NI will go for Saorsat to get all 9 TV, HD (freeview won't be HD) and the 10 to 12 Radio after Mid 2011?

Alternatively is this just a recycling of the old news from the time of MOU and in fact there is Zero commitment of RTE1, RTE2 and TG4 and very unlikely if Saorsat works (as RTE & TG4 would have to pay for carriage).

watty wrote: »
    BBC on Saorview is not going to happen. RTE even recommend people get Freesat.

If someone has Sky and a Saorview TV all they need to do is cancel and they will get MORE BBC, ITV, C4 Five and UK channels free than was ever proposed for ANY pay DTT platform.

So..
    What stations will NI lose to make space on Freeview for RTE1, RTE2 and TG4?

How many people in NI will go for Saorsat to get all 9 TV, HD (freeview won't be HD) and the 10 to 12 Radio after Mid 2011?

Alternatively is this just a recycling of the old news from the time of MOU and in fact there is Zero commitment of RTE1, RTE2 and TG4 and very unlikely if Saorsat works (as RTE & TG4 would have to pay for carriage).
    There's no attribution of official sources for the story Watty, which makes me suspicious. My guess is that there was a slow news day in the Irish News offices and they had this story lying on the shelf. At least this time, unlike the problems of RTÉ1 reception on FM in Belfast when Tullamore's MW TX closed, there were no comments from rent-a-gobshíte politicians!

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I don't know if it will effect sky subs, but in my opinion having BBC1 and/or BBC2 on saorview would be a nice carrot for analogue only households to switch. I'm not convinced it will happen, but would certainly knock a lot of the "why are RTE bothering" crap you see on other sites.

i wasn't saying it would affect sky . i was refering to someone elses statment about sky before i posted

arent they lucky that tv3 wont be available:D.

bbc is a longshot unless the greens stomp their feet on the way out of goverment and insist that some deal be done to allow us down south watch it fta on saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Blanking out of sport on RTE if it gets onto Freeview will probably mean that many here in NI will go down the Saorview route and some even the Saorsat route. Interesting report that Saorview is being received loud and clear in Tyrone as the signal is somewhat shielded to the North is it not at present?

Blanking out of sport on RTE if it gets onto Freeview will probably mean that many here in NI will go down the Saorview route and some even the Saorsat route. Interesting report that Saorview is being received loud and clear in Tyrone as the signal is somewhat shielded to the North is it not at present?
    Tyrone's a big county! Could be receiving Clermont Carn, Truskmore, Holywell Hill or Carin Hill...

Last few words sounds just like Father Jack in that famous scene when Dougal looks through a broken TV and talks about Father Jack being a sleepy priest in one of the Father Ted programmes!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

ok, just stumbled on this as i was trying to find out if the tv i just bought will pick up dtt.

its getting all the irish on dtv but no uk channels. they are still on analogue.

are the uk channels going to be broadcast on dtv?

if not i will swop the tv for a cheaper one and get a satelite kit.

BTW its an LG LE5300.

thanks
    James

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need DTT receiver for Free Irish TV and Satellite for UK as it is "Foreign" TV. No Free Irish TV on Satellite. www.saortv.info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

jamesbil wrote: »
    ok, just stumbled on this as i was trying to find out if the tv i just bought will pick up dtt.

its getting all the irish on dtv but no uk channels. they are still on analogue.

are the uk channels going to be broadcast on dtv?

if not i will swop the tv for a cheaper one and get a satelite kit.

BTW its an LG LE5300.

thanks
    James

Your location ?

What is your Aerial type ?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Am near Ballina, Mayo.

ordinary ariels, one for rte, one for bbc.
    think we are getting a relayed signal here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Your UK channels must be coming from a 'deflector' & I seriously doubt they will ever relay digital.
    Satellite is the way forward. You've probably already looked at http://www.saortv.info!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Cant find it mentioned anywhere else so will add this bbc article confirming the UK action on the agreement from a few weeks back.
    RTE channels will go on Freeview in Northern Ireland

People in Northern Ireland will be able to watch RTE TV channels on Freeview following digital TV switchover, the (EDIT: UK) government has confirmed.

Three channels - RTE One, Two and TG4 - will be available.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18246907

technical details have been posted here:
    http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051947

The one massive open question is whether this is only going to be "RTE Light", i.e. the censored version available to NI residents via sky currently which doesnt have various sporting (champions league, euro champs etc) and other events ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,533 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Cant find it mentioned anywhere else so will add this bbc article confirming the UK action on the agreement from a few weeks back.

Discussion here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78925523#post78925523
    The one massive open question is whether this is only going to be "RTE Light", i.e. the censored version available to NI residents via sky currently which doesnt have various sporting (champions league, euro champs etc) and other events ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79018264&postcount=474

"some programmes may not be broadcast owing to rights restrictions" as previously indicated in the Competition Authority's Determination

Advertisement