Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddlers and showers

Options
  • 01-02-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hello,

We have just moved into a new house (rented) with our toddler. The house is nice enough but doesn't have a bath. Our little guy isn't too keen on getting onto a shower. I suppose we could get a baby bath again, but he seems a bit big for one (he's just over 2) or maybe he would get used to a shower. What do other people do when they don't have a bath for their toddlers?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

Unfortunately we're the same in our house the last few years.We did use a baby bath until they were too big for it, but to get them used to the shower i took each of them it with me when they were toddlers and just let them play with the water and only put them standing under the water when they felt comfortable enough to do so themselves.My eldest son insisted on wearing swimming goggles when he was getting used to it.
    Once they got used to water on their heads it was just a matter of them staying there long enough to rinse them off, fortunately we found a great way to do this was to have them sing their favourite nursery rhyme and not step out till they'd finished.Gave us some great laughs too, especially when the weren't sure of all the words:) My 5 year old still sings twinkle twinkle little star when rinsing her hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

2SWEET wrote: »
    Unfortunately we're the same in our house the last few years.We did use a baby bath until they were too big for it, but to get them used to the shower i took each of them it with me when they were toddlers and just let them play with the water and only put them standing under the water when they felt comfortable enough to do so themselves.My eldest son insisted on wearing swimming goggles when he was getting used to it.
    Once they got used to water on their heads it was just a matter of them staying there long enough to rinse them off, fortunately we found a great way to do this was to have them sing their favourite nursery rhyme and not step out till they'd finished.Gave us some great laughs too, especially when the weren't sure of all the words:) My 5 year old still sings twinkle twinkle little star when rinsing her hair.

that is adorable!

hey op, just get into the shower with him at first and he'll get used to it eventually, my daughter loves the shower, and loves drawing on the condensation!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We travelled a bit at the end of 2008 / start of 2009 (for about a month) and only had showers available to us. Our little one (2 at the time) absolutely hated them at the start but got used to them. They're not as good as the bath but kids adjust. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

We bought a baby bath that fitted diagonally into the shower cubicle and filled it up from the shower head.Later,when the bath was filled,we left the water running and the kids soon got used to it.Now they won't get out!(the bath had disappeared by then )

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Get them a bunch of buckets and cups they can fill with water and knock around in the shower and they might begin to really enjoy it. Just let them mess around in there and have some fun. Our three year old lad prefers baths but he loves his showers at this point and has a large selection of containers and other stuff he brings in with him to create a mess with.

Like most things with toddlers, turn it into a game they can play themselves and they rapidly get over their resistance to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭tscul32

my 2yo loves the shower, 4yo not so keen but getting there. They have baths at home but we go swimming once a week. I always brought them into the shower for a wash after the pool (since they were 12 weeks old). Oldest never had a prob, then when next one came along oldest went in with daddy instead and I took youngest (divide and conquer). Wouldn't shower for daddy, there was a claim that it was because there weren't any doors so he coudl easily escape but I think daddy's just too soft and 'asked if he wanted' a shower instead of telling him he was having one. Now we're on swimming lessons and I bring them both sometimes and I have the older one back on the showers. They pretend it's raining and I'm lucky if I can get under the water with the 2 of them ganging up against me.

Advertisement