Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Veggie to Vegan

Options
  • 01-02-2010 5:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Can anyone share there experiences on going Vegan? I've read its really good for your health and heard of some great miracle cures...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

I went vegan about a month ago and love it. I had a slip up with some tempting garlic&cheesy bread which tasted divine but I regretted it the next day.
    I've had IBS for years which pretty much disappeared when I cut out dairy and I had forgotten how bad it was until the day after my slip up.

I don't have much experience as yet to share but I can recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

have a read of this for some responses on the topic last March :) But i hope anyone with new responses will join in here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

I've been vegan 4 days now and Im in a fog. I get these moments of clarity in the evening times but they dont last. Im feeling very stressed during the day though but have learned this is part of the transition.

Hopefully it will improve.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You can't tell anything after such a short time, just make sure you are eating enough/right.

why how long should i wait to tell?

i consume two large smoothies a day (flaxseeds, orange, banana, kiwi, apple) along with two meals consisting of the following pasta, rice cakes, shreddies, almond milk, rice and or sometimes oven chips. its pretty healthy diet.

but my head is recked.

• Advertisement

paky wrote: »

i consume two large smoothies a day (flaxseeds, orange, banana, kiwi, apple) along with two meals consisting of the following pasta, rice cakes, shreddies, almond milk, rice and or sometimes oven chips. its pretty healthy diet.

but my head is recked.

I'm no expert, but it doesn't look a particularly healthy diet to me.
    You don't seem to have any veg, beans, soya etc in your diet.
    Your only supposed to count two portions of fruit towards your five a day.
    Fruit is sugary.

I don't see how your diet could be causing you suck immediate stress.
    Did you give up coffee or anything?, Are you getting enough water?

Khyrstyna has a great food log in the nutrition forum. You would find good vegan meal ideas there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

but my head is recked.

Eat fruit, don't have two large smoothies a day, they will give you loads of energy..it will release fast and you will feel like ****. Sugar rush. Smoothies taste good though, maybe have one :D
    Oven chips are not good for you but not the end of the world.
    Eat plenty of vegetables, seeds etc. Try some vegan meat alternatives?
    Have a look in the nutrition forum, if you put up your whole diet they rip them apart. Best of luck too. :)

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but it doesn't look a particularly healthy diet to me.
    You don't seem to have any veg, beans, soya etc in your diet.
    Your only supposed to count two portions of fruit towards your five a day.
    Fruit is sugary.

I don't see how your diet could be causing you suck immediate stress.
    Did you give up coffee or anything?, Are you getting enough water?

Khyrstyna has a great food log in the nutrition forum. You would find good vegan meal ideas there.

ya your right, your no expert. i dont think you have a clue what your talking about either.
    i forgot to add..i eat beans.

and since when was soya good for you? The last I heard it can reduce fertility in men.

moonbaby. what is your definition of a healthy diet?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Whoa there, Paky - no need to be snotty. Moonbaby was right - the details you posted fell way short on the protein side of things (almond milk is mostly water). It's not her fault if *you* forgot to mention that you eat beans, let alone in what quantities.

Soy has more protein than beef and quite a high amount of iron, especially when processed into tempeh. It contains phytooestrogens too. Oddly enough, they might even *improve* your manly fertility. High consumption of soy doesn't seem to have wiped out the Japanese, nor turned their men into ladybhois.

You sound more like someone who's come off the tea/coffee/fags than someone who's cut the dairy out. There's a well known link between that which we are addicted to and that which we are allergic to, so you may actually have had a severe dairy allergy/addiction.

Right, I've found a blog - you may have the brain fog/lack of energy/moodiness for a week/10 days - have a look here;
    http://johnderrick.com/miscellaneous/unusual-news/shocking-dairy-detox-this-will-blow-your-mind/

• Advertisement

i feel so groggy today i could punch someone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

but my head is recked.

It's no wonder you feel awful - your diet is rubbish!! A load of carbs and some smoothies?

You need vegetables. Lots and lots of vegetables. How about some avocados, peanut butter, humous, porridge, nut roasts, get a vegan cookbook and the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

I have an idea. It's so crazy, it just might work.

The indians/hare krshnas use cardamon to counteract the mucus forming tendencis of milk. See whether you can find a way to incorporate it into your diet and let us know whether this helps. If it does, then it may help another veggie transition to veganism.

Dry roasting the pods on a frying pan before adding them to your food helps activate them. I'd suggest you google for a recipe including cardamon and stock items in your fridge/cupboards. There are recommended recipe sites up above in the Sticky's.

Cardamon pods can be found in the spice section of ordinary supermarkets but failing that, an asian store is a good bet. Good for both savory and sweet dishes.

Ya load of carbs and some smoothies. Peanut butter will do the trick! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Can anyone share there experiences on going Vegan? I've read its really good for your health and heard of some great miracle cures...

I have been vegan for 9 years.
    Like all diets you have to make sure that you are getting enough of what you need. It is impossible to get too little protein if you are eating wholefoods as all fruit and veg has sufficient for your needs so worry more about minerals and Essential Fatty Acids.
    Make sure to include plenty of greens and plenty of water.

Advertisement