Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speakers advice

• 01-02-2010 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭

I need advice on speakers for a hall environment playing tunes from a laptop(Country) - they have been using rentals (450W) x 2 but want to purchase. Not my area of expertise... would active be most suitable?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

Have been quoted 850 + vat for 2 LD 450W 15" active monitors - any advice, are they any good, suitable..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Active would be most suitable in the absence of having a clear idea of the system you want to build. It at least means you don't have to worry about impedence or matching power between speakers and poweramps.

I'm unfamiliar with LD, but checking the prices on Thomann is generally a good gauge of the market value of something.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/search_dir.html?gf=active_loudspeakers_fr&sw=ld

Bear in mind that wattage can be given in several different formats: RMS, peak, max, program power, musical power, continuous power etc. They're all different and have various proportional relationships. It doesn't really tell you how loud it's going to be, but if you're comparing power between something familiar and something new, at least be sure you're talking in the same terms.

When you say "hall", my first thought is that 900 w RMS in a moderate to cheap brand of speaker/poweramp will be a little light. But if you've been doing it already and are satisfied, then there's really no reason to deviate from the plan.

Thanks for that Eoin.

Its not my gig, i was just asked to find out about speakers (wish they asked somebody else). When i say 'hall' i mean hotel function room. It for 'line dancing:rolleyes:heats (yes they still exist)....What about a subwoofer....who that be necessary?

The only reason he asked me is that i play acoustic in the odd session so he assumed i'd have some idea.....obviously not.

Thanks again for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Over a certain amount of power (probably around 500 watts RMS) speakers tend to stop being full-range and split into subwoofers and mid-high speakers (aka "tops").

So they could go with 2 full-range speakers as they have been, or they could get 2 subs and 2 tops, presumably at a higher wattage.

Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement