Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASA's Future

Options
  • 01-02-2010 6:44pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looks like we will have a good idea of where NASA is headed after a news conference tomorrow. Extra money for the NASA budget but not enough for Constellation:mad:
    Comercial taxi's to replace the Shuttle. Not sure I like the idea at all:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

NASA is in need of a serious shake up IMO, but cancelling the constellation Programme is not a way of doing it.

Commercial Operations will speed up innovation but it could kill risky plans like a Moon base or mission to Mars as dead astronauts would look bad on a earnings report.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

DarrenMSP wrote: »
    NASA is in need of a serious shake up IMO, but cancelling the constellation Programme is not a way of doing it.

Commercial Operations will speed up innovation but it could kill risky plans like a Moon base or mission to Mars as dead astronauts would look bad on a earnings report.
    Agree with this, unless the commercial operations just took over the expensive play work of launching things into Low Earth Orbit (LEO), then I'd be happy with it, but NASA should be in control of the big things, like Mars landings or a moon base.

I wonder why NASA don't team with ESA (or JAXA, or all of 'em teamed up) to try and get some astronauts on Mars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

jumpguy wrote: »
    I wonder why NASA don't team with ESA (or JAXA, or all of 'em teamed up) to try and get some astronauts on Mars.

Wondered that for years. Is it really that hard to team up completely and create a single International Space programme. Bigger budgets to get more done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Nasa director Boldens statement that was embargoed until Obama's budget was sent to Congress today.NASA where to hold a press conferance today but cancelled in favour of a much larger one tomorrow,Obama's Science advisor will be on the panel.
    I have to agree that 'farming out' manned Spaceflight to others than NASA,destroys the whole concept of NASA.s ethos of being seperate to the militry or private sector,looking more like NASA will become 'pen pushers':(,a sad day IMO.
    http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/420994main_2011_Budget_Administrator_Remarks.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ynotdu wrote: »
    Nasa director Boldens statement that was embargoed until Obama's budget was sent to Congress today.NASA where to hold a press conferance today but cancelled in favour of a much larger one tomorrow,Obama's Science advisor will be on the panel.
    I have to agree that 'farming out' manned Spaceflight to others than NASA,destroys the whole concept of NASA.s ethos of being seperate to the militry or private sector,looking more like NASA will become 'pen pushers':(,a sad day IMO.
    http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/420994main_2011_Budget_Administrator_Remarks.pdf

Yep,it's a sad time for NASA. Don't get me wrong,NASA can and have abused,misused and been incompetent but they have the knowledge,the skilled workforce and history to carry the torch for human spaceflight.

Most commercial endeavours by their nature result in corners being cut and quality sacrificed in the name of profit. Nasa have to answer to the Government,private enterprises answer to stockholders. This is my biggest worry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

NASA administrator Charlie Bolden got very emotional at the press conference. He talked all upbeat about the future but you could tell he knows this is not good for US Human spaceflight.
    This is a very sad day, we are in the final days now of something special, something unique, something magical that started in 1961. I don't think it will ever be the same again once the Shuttle makes its last landing this September.
    Its like waiting for a death in the family:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 661

WOW NICE

Advertisement