Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Molex & ide back to back's

Options
  • 01-02-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

2 things i'm looking for if anyone knows where to get them, preferably cheap, as I can't seem to find them...

the first thing is a "molex back to back", basically i have a few molex connectors in the machine and I bought a splitter, but silly me didn't realise they were both the same ends (they can all plug into a standard IDE HD for example) and I need to join these to make the adapter useful. I can't wire straight into the PSU.

The second thing is the same idea but for ide. I have an IDE to sata converter board, but it requires an IDE port similar to the ones on motherboards and HD's, not the kind that are on the ribbon from the motherboard. The connectors on the mobo are full, but I've a few on the ribbon so if i could convert them to the pins instead of the receivers it'd be great.

I searched ebay but to no avail. I would use male and female terms, but I can never get my head around which is which.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Just get a new sata to Ide convertor, one that the cable gets plugged into:

Heck i have one that does not work with my xbox properly but does seem to work, If you send me down a SAE I'll post it to you.

Or if you want to go down the buying new road:

Molex splitter, turns one regular molex port into 3

Sata to Ide adapter (mine is similar in idea to this, but is not the exact same)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

i very stupidly failed to realise that one of the connectors on my molex splitter was in fact the right one! I actually bought the exact one you linked to!

The IDE adapter is perfect, however the one I have takes two sata drives (it has a smaller molex power port, 2 sata ports and the power must be provided separately, which is fine with me). Ideally something with two ports would be good, I doubt I could split that one??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

There is no way, afaik, of getting 3 drives on one IDE port, which sounds like what you are trying to do

Sorry, seemed to have made that a bit confusing!

I bought this:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14666

The one you linked to is good, but it doesn't take 2 drives like the one I have.. I need one that has your ide connection but 2 sata ports..

I can't see one on DX, can you??

just had a look at it there. I have one IDE drive and 2 sata drives. I put the ide in the space for the floppy drive, removed the ide cable from the mobo that was for that drive, stuck in the adapter I have and now have two sata drives in that! Problem solved!

Thanks for your help with it all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement