Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought a new car - have questions

• 01-02-2010 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    picked up a new car 2010 car saturday. the dealer told me to get a form stamped by the gardai (which I did today) so I wouldnt have to pay the month of Jan 10. it says on the form I need to bring in the vehicle registration certificate...do I get this sent to me? and by whom?

Also, I read the car manual...it doesnt say anything about getting it serviced...for some reason I thought I had to get it serviced after 1000KM. Or does the car let me know? Its a Fiat and has 3 year manufacturer warranty. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mick gtt

The dealer should send this out with your name on the vechicle registration certificate or otherwise give him call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Should be a service schedule booklet with the manual outlining service mileage for the car. No service after 1000km anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

The vehicle reg cert comes from dept of transport in shannon not the dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

In that case I wonder why didnt he give it to me saturday? He only registered the car on Friday so maybe it takes a few days???
    Edit: thanks ryan...I guess I just have to wait until it comes.
    I must look at the booklet again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You've been misinformed.

You'll get an RF100 form from the garage to tax the car, this is pre-printed and mostly filled out for you. you just need to get the second page stamped by the Gardai.

Once you tax the car, the Dept of Envir will send you a registration certificate in the post.

The garage is able to print the RF100 once they receive the email back from Revenue with the registration number.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the confusion...yes the garage gave me that RF100 form, am looking at it as we speak. I got it stamped today by the gardai.

So, I need to go to the tax office with this form and the money. Why would it say on the back "You MUST include the following: The vehicle registration certificate received from the revenue commissioners following registration of the vehicle"...

So, the revenue commissioners send it to me :confused::confused::confused:

nah, you don't need that at all.

Out of interest, is the form printed on 2 A4 sheets or is it hand-written?

Sounds like the garage gave you a very old manually written form. Is the car imported from the UK?

Hey,
    its 2 A4 sheets typed. Not UK import.
    Think will ring the local tax office. Thanks for the help.

Your car was registered online on ROS by the looks of it, all you need is the RF100 printout the dealer gave you. There is an additional piece of paper you get with that form which details VRT paid, vehicle details, ownership details etc but you absolutely don't need this to tax the car - the dealer usually keeps this on file for their own records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

hi guys,
    picked up a new car 2010 car saturday. the dealer told me to get a form stamped by the gardai (which I did today) so I wouldnt have to pay the month of Jan 10.

So you drove the car in January, but are having it declared off the road for the whole of January? Let's hope you didn't get caught speeding or you could be in a lot of trouble.

For the sake of what I'm guessing is €13 for the month, you've had to go to the Garda station to get the form signed off and you'll now either have to go to the Tax office or post the application, rather than having it done on line by now.

• Advertisement

I drove the car 1.5 days in january. Get off your high horse. I have been driving 12 years and never missed a month's tax.

The Gardai who signed/stamped the form dont even have your problem. Do you want to give them a ridiculous and unnecessary ticking off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

R.O.R wrote: »
    So you drove the car in January, but are having it declared off the road for the whole of January? Let's hope you didn't get caught speeding or you could be in a lot of trouble.

For the sake of what I'm guessing is €13 for the month, you've had to go to the Garda station to get the form signed off and you'll now either have to go to the Tax office or post the application, rather than having it done on line by now.

+1

Nothing to do with high horses...

I'm not sure if / when / how the reg is checked against PULSE (the Garda database) when you have the form stamped and I'm not even aware if the reg plate recognition data from Garda vehicles is stored in PULSE or not, but as R.O.R said, if a match comes up, it is proof that the OP committed fraud. A lot more serious than not paying your tax!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I drove the car 1.5 days in january. Get off your high horse. I have been driving 12 years and never missed a month's tax.

The Gardai who signed/stamped the form dont even have your problem. Do you want to give them a ridiculous and unnecessary ticking off?

The Gardai are witnessing you declaring you haven't driven on the road, not verifying that you haven't.

If it was something that cost a fortune, I can see the point, but the additional hassle you've gone to for such a small amount, really isn't worth it.

Happens quite a lot at work where we have registered cars actually off the road for the last couple of days of the month. If there are 3 or more, or if it's Band C or above, then someone will head to the Garda station. If it's 1 or 2 group B cars then it's not worth the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Gardai only sign the form as a witness to the declaration you are submitting that the car was off the road. It is Revenue who could persue you if the declaration is found to be false i.e. you received a parking offence on a day you declared the car was off the road.

I told the gardai:

Me: how are ye. I bought a car and received it on Saturday gone. I want to tax it from 1st of February as I only first drove it on Saturday afternoon. Would you sign the RF 100 form please?
    Gardai: Jaysus a 2010? Hows the car going? Do you like it? Sure no problem. Best of luck with it.
    Me: Thanks. Bye.

There are lots of other people out there with no tax at all on their cars. Why dont the angry mob go chase them.

Whatever. Ive never received penalty points, parking tickets, fines in my life.
    1.5 days. What ever floats your boats lads. Fraud is what people in the banks did. Ridiculous.

Edit: Incidentally, the car I scrapped was left at the garage with 1 day worth of tax left on it. Do you think I should claim this back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Edit: Incidentally, the car I scrapped was left at the garage with 1 day worth of tax left on it. Do you think I should claim this back?

You have to have at least three month tax left in order to claim tax back, so the simple answer is - No.

Enjoy your new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

R.O.R wrote: »

I wouldnt like to met you if your a cop:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks PC.
    I know I cant claim for the 1 day - was trying to in a way make people see sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There are lots of other people out there with no tax at all on their cars. Why dont the angry mob go chase them.

Can't see any angry mob on this thread really. I (and others here too if I read them right) am just surprised that for a tiny saving (we don't know how much, as you haven't stated what car you've bought) you are taking the risk of the thing backfiring with serious consequences.

A bit like betting a tenner with a 99 percent chance you will win another tenner and a 1 percent chance you will have to pay five grand and having a conviction, maybe even a (suspended) jail sentence :eek:

Many years ago I sold my high motortax car to a car nut in the middle of nowhere in the midlands who owned about 7 or 8 high motortax cars. All were lowish value €2k-10k and he paid motortax on none of them. He was the only person driving any of them and of course he could only drive one at a time. He knew very well that in the unlikely event he got stopped, the Garda could take the car off him. He was prepared to take that risk. In his driving career he had one car (a 740i iirc) confiscated and he had several low value fines for not having / displaying motor tax. I can't say I didn't have any sympathy for his position.

• Advertisement

The dealer had the form filled in for me including the off the road dates. All I had to do was sign it and take it to the Gardai. I rang the motor tax office today and explained the situation and they were fine about it. I got the impression that they were amused for such a question.
    And yes, it did/does feel like an angry mob trying to flame me. Scrooge mac scrooge and all that. Anyways payment is in the post and colm was right, you send off the RF 100 and then you get your cert. thanks.

Incidentally, everything is going great with the car except the window wipers. On Monday morning there was a heavy freeze. I defrosted the car (put some warm water - not boliing) on the windscreen. I cant remember though if the wipers were like this just after getting the car - I hadnt used them (no rain). Now the window wipers are sort of sticking to the screen - not very smooth and a little squeek from the rubber on the screen. So, maybe my e12 savings may have to go to fix this :rolleyes:. I bought the car a way from where I live so cant just drive back to the dealers, if theyd even change them for me anyways.

Advertisement