Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending freeze is bad says Krugman

• 01-02-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Spending is good and saving is bad, so says Paul Krugman one of the "finest" minds in Economics.
    http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/26/obama-liquidates-himself/

At this moment in time the deficits in the American economy are record high and therefore Obama wants to curtail some of the spending, however this is something Paul Krugman thinks is disastrous.

Are we to honestly believe that you should not cut spending when you have the highest budget deficits ever?

Comments

SLUSK wrote: »
    Spending is good and saving is bad, so says Paul Krugman one of the "finest" minds in Economics.
    http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/26/obama-liquidates-himself/

At this moment in time the deficits in the American economy are record high and therefore Obama wants to curtail some of the spending, however this is something Paul Krugman thinks is disastrous.

Are we to honestly believe that you should not cut spending when you have the highest budget deficits ever?

Don't think of it like a householder - Krugman has a point, and depending on your viewpoint of economics, is correct or incorrect. A stimulus should have a positive effect in kickstarting a recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Why not increase spending a hundred times more? That should kick start a "recovery". I just wonder what happens when the creditors want their money back or when America no longer will afford to pay the interest on their loans...

Why not increase spending a hundred times more? That should kick start a "recovery". I just wonder what happens when the creditors want their money back or when America no longer will afford to pay the interest on their loans...

Obviously there is a balance to be had - there is a good article on all this in this week's economist

Hey in this day and age it is not old fashioned production and investment that drives the economy, it is consumption. Why not give every person a big bag of money to spend? That seems to be the Paul Krugman way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Hey in this day and age it is not old fashioned production and investment that drives the economy, it is consumption. Why not give every person a big bag of money to spend? That seems to be the Paul Krugman way.

It only seems that way when you have no clue what you are talking about. The same way my lack of knowledge about rocket science might lead me to think that lighting dynamite under a toilet will fly me to the moon.

• Advertisement

Did Paul Krugman say we should spend more or did Paul Krugman not say that we should spend more?

Did Paul Krugman say we should hand out big bags of cash or did Paul Krugman not say that we should hand out big bags of cash?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Your argument, "the deficits in the American economy are record high", are based on previous economic conditions; situations that were faced in the past.

The theoretical argument for fiscal stimulus is primarily that monetary policy (which you're also not a fan of, but we all know that) has reached its limit.

When was the last time that a shock occurred so violently that an economy was still on its knees even with interest rates of 0%? Never. So making arguments that the current spending is bad based on previous deficits is not logically sound. Things have changed.

This isn't an argument for infinite spending, either. Of course not. However the basis for your original argument is poor.

Sooner or later they will have to start to pay normal interest rates on their record high debts and they will end up in the same situation as Argentina probably.

As far as I know the record high deficit does not even include unfunded liabilities for Social Security and Medicare.

You gotta love the way he simply dodges any point which he cannot refute/defend against and simply moves on to something else.

• Advertisement

You gotta love the way he simply dodges any point which he cannot refute/defend against and simply moves on to something else.
    Are you saying it is a good idea for America to put itself deeper into debt?

Are you saying it is a good idea for America to put itself deeper into debt?

No, I have no idea where you got that from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It only seems that way when you have no clue what you are talking about. The same way my lack of knowledge about rocket science might lead me to think that lighting dynamite under a toilet will fly me to the moon.

As someone with a background in both economics and rocket science, believe me this thread is truly painful.

Advertisement