Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a dishwasher

• 01-02-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm a complete DIY novice and was thinking I mite plumb up my new dishwasher if it wasn’t very difficult.

I have only cold water feed which the washing machine is attached too and only one waste disposal pipe (again washing machine using)

What parts do I need to install the dishwasher or is it better to get a plumber in :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

You probably got 2 lengths of hose with the dishwasher, a smooth one for the water feed and a corrugated one for the waste. If you're in a newish house, there might be a y-junction on the pipe under your sink to plumb the waste into (push-fit, good and tight), and a t-junction on the cold feed to connect (screw-on) the cold water feed to. If you have those, it's easy as pie. Really.

If not, there'll be a little more work to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Prenderb wrote: »
    You probably got 2 lengths of hose with the dishwasher, a smooth one for the water feed and a corrugated one for the waste. If you're in a newish house, there might be a y-junction on the pipe under your sink to plumb the waste into (push-fit, good and tight), and a t-junction on the cold feed to connect (screw-on) the cold water feed to. If you have those, it's easy as pie. Really.

If not, there'll be a little more work to do...

Afraid I have neither , the cold water feed is single and so is the waste pipe.
    Would it still be a diy job ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You can buy a "Y" PCE in most plumbing shops. All you will need to do is connect it to the washing machine cold and connect both the washing machine and the dishwasher to the same feed.

The waste will depend on how its done now. Most are done through the applience trap in the kitchen sink so all you will need to do is buy a double applience trap for the kitchen sink.

TBH there should be no major plumbing especially if the washing machine is there. If you cannot figure it out you really need a plumber or someone good at DIY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

If you can take pics of your undersink arrangement (the plumbing, of course!) we might have a better read of your situation....

A picture tells a thousand words :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Can you get a photo showing the bottom of the sink as well? There might be a place to plumb in a waste there. Take a photo of that and someone will advise if it's possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Cool. It can be easy installed and a novice will do it with a bit of confidence.

1. The cold water feed.

i am not to sure of the direction or the distance of the dishwasher buy you will need a "y" pce as discussed. You turn off the blue tap to the washing machine that you can see in the picture. You disconnet the blue hose. Then you attach the "y" it might be easier to attach the blue hoses off the dishwasher and the washing machine to the "y" before connecting.
    When you have it all connected you can open the blue tap gain.

2. The waste from the dishwasher.

This can be connected one of 3 way. the way i rec is the (a)

(a) Buy a single spiggot washing machine trap. You replace the trap on the kitchen sink and you attach the dishwasher to the spiggot/nipple.

(b) If the waste hose of the dishwasher reaches you can shove it down the same pipe as the washing machine. It will be a tight fit but will be more than adaquite.

(c) You can actually buy a spiggot pack that straps around the washing machine waste pipe and tap into it. This pack has a non return valve so sh1t cannot come back into the dishwasher.

If you need any of this better explained I would be happy.

TBH its such a simple job it would be a shame to pay someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Easy enough, replace under sink P trap with an adjustable P trap complete with DW / WM spigot, connect DW waste to spigot and secure to spigot with dublee clip.

Undo WM from WM valve, fit a plastic Y branch so WM valve can feed both WM and DW.

Thanks guys , great post Joey the lips :) think I'll head to b&q this weekend and give it a go myself.

Advertisement